Superfrog 2

Team17 makes other games? I had no idea!

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Bring back frog
THE ONLY ONE HERE

Post by Bring back frog » Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:03 pm

no plans....

no plans...

i wish they did have plans for a new game, or at least a remake
of the original..

but i learned in the past wishing dosent get me anywhere...
Thomas sutherland... soz i havent been on for ages be back soon.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:38 pm

I'm quite satisfied with emulation. I don't think there's a point them remaking it for a modern format, unless they're sure it'll sell well, and I'm not sure it will. I think the majority of today's gamers look for originality, whereas Superfrog is more nostalgia, automatically relegating it to a lower-spec platform like mobile phones or portable games machines, though even those are becoming too powerful to warrant it.

I feel the main attraction of the game is its gameplay, so making a new version with different levels won't really deliver, since the original gave us a lot to do. There isn't anything left to explore in that world.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:05 pm

You can't discount Luther's avatar on the T17 forums though can you? His avatar tells us they must at least be thinking about a Superfrog game for PSP or DS.
x_+

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:52 am

They might. PSP or DS port of SF would probably get receinved sufficiently well to make it worth publishing. However, worMatty still makes a good point. A remake of SF would be pretty much a port that people allready familiar with SF would play only out of nostalgia. Some people who have never played SF might pick it up just because it looks cool, but for them it would be merely another platformer. Nothing special. If T17 descides to make the game completly different from the Amiga classic, enough so to make it feel unique to the new consummer, then there is little point even considering the game a sequel, and the use of SF characters would only serve the purpose of catching attention of the gamers who have played it many years ago and still remember the game.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Bring back frog
THE ONLY ONE HERE

Post by Bring back frog » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:35 am

Luther's avatar... i consider it proof of a new game on the way..
someday..

i know i've said this before and you've given me all the reasons
why they can't but team17 should make a gamecube/ps2/xbox
game like "sonic mega collection" and have all the classics from
team17 includeing superfrog..
Thomas sutherland... soz i havent been on for ages be back soon.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:14 pm

Is there really a point in that? Just get an Amiga emulator, and play them all. If you must have these on consoles, get Linux on PS2 or XBox, and install Amiga emulator on it. You can also wait for PS3 which will allready have Linux installed, and once again, run these games on the emulator. You can do these things right now without needing as much as a knod from T17. So why do you need for T17 to re-release these games?
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:35 pm

So that people who aren't Us can experience these games. And, more to the point, so we can just slam a DVD in a drive and not have to worry about configurating things.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:33 am

People who aren't us likely wouldn't be interested in them anyway. And it's easy to use WinUAE when you use it via Lemonade.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 5:38 am

Dream17 is pretty much the only place I know of where you can still get T17 games anyways. Legally, anyways. So just put up a few UAE configs, and mention which games run with which ones. That takes care of all conviguration problems. After that, running UAE on whichever system is a snap.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Thu Nov 09, 2006 6:29 pm

As I've said over and over, the best port of SF would probably be a GBC version, or GBA at a stretch. The PSP is the spawn of the devil as far as I'm concerned (BECAUSE IT ISN'T NINTENDO!), and the DS' two screens might be a bit of a waste, although the touch screen could be used for stats while the top screen could be used for play.

I'm also satisfied with emulation, though. We have to remember, SF was devloped in 1992 and released in 1993! Emulation programs are horrible and fiddly, but once you've got a good config, it's pretty much all sorted. I'd like to be able to play SF on the move, but it's not a necessary thing. Team17 sure as hell aren't going to do a remake or a sequel (has it not occurred to anyone that Luther's avatar could be JUST FOR FUN?), because it probably wouldn't be profitable, and Spadge has pretty much confirmed it.

SF is a perfect game as it stands, so there's no reason to start tinkering around with it. A fan port would be sweet, but I don't think there's much more development of the SF legend past any fan tribute games and/or the 1999 re-release.
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.