Worms PSP

For Boggy B and his mates. If they existed, of course.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Sun Jun 19, 2005 10:54 pm

The real draw for wi-fi is the possibility of surfing the net on the psp for downloads etc... or even minimising your game (if thats possible) to look for hints etc all on the same unit.

In Korea the PSP shipped bundled with a web surfing package...
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

Slick
Beef Stew

Post by Slick » Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:29 am

What about pluging it into your computer and use the internet that you have?
I believe that you can connect with it with a USB port or somthing. :?
If you can read this....you're not blind.

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:42 am

Why would I be playing a handheld device if it is plugged into something? Surely i can play on my PS2, PSone, NES, SNES or PC?

The point is you could be sat on your sofa watching non-freeview terrestrial television with no teletext on your 18 yr old toshiba with no remote and wonder whats on the other channel. Rather than get up, cross the room, change channels until you find something you like risking that ever so painful "done-my-back-in-while-changing-channels" condition, you could surf to radiotimes.com on your psp and fart a lot.

Also I'll be able to connect to my pc from the beach if i install a few repeaters in some of the light posts round here and WEP enable it. Bwahehehehe, private hotspot the size of Hove.

Also, you wont require an extra connection to use Wi-Fi. No extra ISP, no extra monthly payments....just a wireless router. Infact, you dont even need that. I have an Ethernet -> Wireless adapter which I got for about £30...I can plug it into my PS2 and play wirelessly online or stream films, music etc to it. Incidentally my consoles are all hooked up to my TV wirelessly.
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:04 am

I finaly descided to give up, and bought a PSP. So far I'm liking it. A lot.

The plan now is to convert the Linux Kernel to run on PSP, write the dual boot firmware, write all the necessary drivers, install Linux version of UAE onto the PSP, and run W: DC that way. I think that would be the best way to go about it, not to mention, there are a lot of other good uses for Linux on PSP.

I talked to a friend of mine who knows a hell of a lot more about Linux than I do, and he said he'll help with the conversion once I figure out how to boot a third party OS on a PSP, which I intend to do by tricking it into downloading my firmware instead of Sony's firmware update. The toughest part will probably be writing the Linux drivers for all of the things on a PSP. I don't want to even think about writing the code to make the PSP's graphics chip run OpenGL software.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:50 am

K^2 wrote:I don't want to even think about writing the code to make the PSP's graphics chip run OpenGL software.
But you are going to, right? Good lad :) K^2 we salute you.
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sat Jun 25, 2005 12:03 am

I'm not really sure. If I'll have to, I'll definetly try to write it, but if I can get the basic 2D graphics to run on something simpler, I might just put up the PSP Linux on the net as an open source project, and see if someone else can cook up OpenGL libraries and drivers for it. Most port-worthy software available for Linux doesn't require 3D acceleration anyhow. I suppose, Quake II would run great on a 300MHz CPU with hardawre acceleration via OpenGL, but that is the only game I can think of right now that would need all that.

Still need to get a copy of firmware update and take it appart. I'll probably have to write my own dis-ASM for it, unless I can find one that works sufficiently well.

Good thing I know most of the opcodes allready...
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.