Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Paul.Power
He Rocketh So

Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Post by Paul.Power » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:52 am

Admittedly I didn't get much reaction the thread on T17F, but with this new "Other Lot" forum here I thought I'd try again.

Anyway, there are nine new COs, bringing it up to a grand total of 27 (19 - 1 + 9. Minus one because Sturm dies at the end of AW2.

The nine new COs are:

Jake (Orange Star) [link]
Jake appears to be a sort of anti-Lash, in the sense that his units have increased firepower on terrain with low defence cover (whereas Lash gets firepower boosts on terrain with a high defence cover)

Rachel (Orange Star) [link]
It seems Rachel's special ability is that her units gain three health per turn from repairs on cities/bases/etc. rather than two health per turn.

Sasha (Blue Moon) [link]
Colin's big sister and legal guardian, she is according to those lovely people who put all that effort into translating Japanese magazine scans, "good with money". What precisely this means, only time will tell, but I'm putting my money on her cities producing more funds per turn.

Javier (Yellow Comet) [link]
Looks a bit of an idiot, doesn't he? :P. Anyway, Javier apparantly is good on the attack, but weak in defence.

Grimm (Green Earth) [link]
Grimm it seems gains a defensive boost against indirect fire. Doesn't sound much, but again this is mainly going on the dreaded Japanese magazine scans.

Jugger, Koal, Kindle and Von Bolt (Black Hole)
[link]
[link]
[link]
[link]
Not 100% sure which is which in some cases, so I've lumped them together. Jugger (giant robot dude) apparantly is very much like Flak (I'm guessing they needed another one because of the whole tag-team aspect) with the whole random luck thing. Koal and Kindle... Well, IIRC one of them moves faster on roads (fractional terrain movement costs?), the other has cities that take more than 20 points to capture (sort of an anti-Sami, then). No idea what Von Bolt (head in tank guy) does, but apparantly he's Black Hole's new leader (that must've cheesed Hawke off a bit).

There's also a bunch of new units: the Giga Tank, the Stealth Bomber, the Aircraft Carrier, the Pipe Runner (a big cannon thingy restricted to pipes), the Sub Lander and the Black Bomb (a sort of kamikaze bomber thingy).

Anyway, what's new in the game mechanics?

1. This whole tag-team business. Don't quite understand it myself, maybe I will when I get the game. But you can swap between COs as and when their respective powers come in handy, and you now have tag-team powers that take even longer to charge up but will probably be highly spectacular when you launch them.

2. There's a real time mode. Agh! Hopefully I can just ignore it quite happily.

Anyway, General Handy Game Information
"Spam is the filling in the sandwich of forum life"

Here, have some Let's Plays: Advance Wars 2 | Advance Wars

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:08 pm

I've played games like it before -- like Desert Commander on the NES, or a Sega Saturn version of the board game Risk -- But they never really interested me all that much. I've heard that Advance Wars' soundtracks might appeal to me, though.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:01 pm

the new COs and units seem nice (though Giga Tank? come on, couldn't they be more original with the naming?). i don't like the new game mechanics though, they just seem like more hassle to me.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

FutureWorm

Re: Advance Wars: Dual Strike

Post by FutureWorm » Sun Jun 12, 2005 1:02 am

Paul.Power wrote:2. There's a real time mode. Agh! Hopefully I can just ignore it quite happily.
Yeah, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of it?