The Incredibly Exciting Zero Talks About His Job Thread

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:30 am

No they get standard pay, just not overtime...
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:10 pm

...Hmm. Check out this thread I found. Hey, it's been right around a year since I posted it, right? That's because it's been a little over a year since I picked up my job.

...Well, since I started working for this company, actually. My job is different now. I'm now a machine operator, which comes with more pay and all that happy horse poo, but the job is about 9 times more stressful, and it's really more or less slowly doing my head in. I hate it and I don't know what to do about it! Isn't that awesome?

Basically, I'm the next to last step in the granola line. The product gets to me already finished and in boxes ready to be slapped onto shelves, which is another of the few benefits I can think of -- I don't actually have to deal with the product, which is especially great considering how much freaking peanut butter we use. And weirdo yogurt stuff. The weirdo yogurt stuff is very tasty, though.

What I actually do is run around constantly in all directions and attempt to keep up with a whole bunch of machines that pack the boxes into cases for shipping. And guess how often they work right! If you said "sometimes," die. If you said "never," you get the prize!

So what I actually actually do is run around, driving myself insane and making an ass of myself by swearing loudly and profusely at inanimate objects for 10 hours.

I seriously and fully believe that this job has been a sharp hit on my actual mental health. I used to be very quiet, mild-mannered and clean-language...'d. Now I talk to myself all night at work, am prone to becoming extremely angry at the drop of a hat at very petty things, and have had at least two full-fledged nervous breakdowns in the span of less than a year. Awesome.

I'm just trying to hang in there, I guess. I keep hearing that I will see a dramatic increase in pay if I stick around for another year or so, and I guess everybody thinks I'm doing a good job. Plus, I just became eligible for health insurance, so... yeah. I suppose I'm doing well for myself, although it seems to me like it's coming at a fairly severe cost.

It's also worth noting that the job has utterly swallowed what I had of a life. I sleep and work. I do next to nothing on weekends. I'm just sort of existing, rather than living. Wheeeee.

Yeah... ugh. I'm trying to put some real thought into where I plan on being at this time next year.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:48 pm

Wow, it's really been a year, huh?

Well, I can't say I'm jealous of you Zero. I can, however, say I wish I had work.

Yet again I've been promised x amount of work only to receive x/2. This of course means half the pay, meaning I can't make ends meet unless I literally buy nothing. I have a £2 a day food budget (this is for while I'm at work. I still buy food from a supermarket at around £30 a week) and I can't go to the pub with my friends at lunch time.

Things really are worse than that though. I've been pushing for further training so I can move on and progress in my career. Unfortunately since there is so little work at the moment my boss sees no point in improing our situation. Hey, if we're not working for him why should he care, right? He thinks of keeping us on the books (read: keeping us on-call 24/7) as doing us a favour. Erm... okay. I guess I should be grateful that I got a month of work and then the following month was shipped to our overseas office so the company could double their profit, then?

But the lack of work is only really the tip of the iceberg. There are huge repercussions as a result. I struggle to pay rent and bills which of course take priority oer food which of course takes priority oer anything fun. A lack of fun in life has an effect on me and my girlfriend; we basically struggle to afford to sit in our flat and breathe. Joy.

And then there's the stress of never knowing if you're in work the next day. I say never, I mean not knowing until 25 minutes before you leave. It's a fatiguing and stressful job at the best of times, let alone to insecurity it carries as part and parcel of the whole shebang.

So I'll have to look for a new job and in the meantime stay on-call for Babel. If it wasn't a case of them basically arse-raping us in the face every single day of our lives it might be bearable. Shame, really. I think what the company does is important and I am passionate about my work, yet I despise every moment I am there.

Yeah... ugh. I'm trying to put some real thought into where I plan on being this time next year. Hopefully not in a petrol station, sweeping up leaves.
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

Cyclaws
Former Staffmember

Post by Cyclaws » Sat Jul 29, 2006 11:33 pm

I do wish you both the best of luck being happier this time next year. :)
Webmaster of WormsTournaments: http://www.wormstournaments.co.uk
Creator of my blog: http://www.kevinstreetonline.com
Worms Corrispondent for Dream17: cyclaws@dream17.info

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:11 am

Vader wrote:words
Ouch. I hope that works out alright for you.

Anyway, I guess I should post that I had just finished the second consecutive really freaking crappy night of work when I posted the above horror story, but it's pretty much still true. It does have its good days, though. It still boggles my mind how much my coworkers complain about being bored; I'd love to be bored in my job now and then. :P

Plus, I've got health insurance coming up, so...
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:38 am

Sounds like health insurance is just to stop you from claiming compensation for insanity, 072.

Sorry to hear it's still not working out for you, Stef. I do hope you get some decent work soon and your situation stabilises.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:46 pm

Can I discuss my job?

I have two jobs. One of which I'm currently getting paid for. I'm off sick at the moment, which is a bit of a bitch, because I actually like my job.

End of. I'd write more but I need lunch and in this state it'll take me ages to make.
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:08 pm

Pooka wrote:because I actually like my job.
:shock: IMPOSSIBILITY OVERLOAD! *explodes*
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer