Annoying computer Problem

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Annoying computer Problem

Post by Squirminator2k » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:33 pm

Whenever I press the Caps Lock, Scroll Lock or Num Lock keys, I get a little display in the bottom-right of the display informing me of the relevant key's current status (e.g. "CAPS LOCK ON"). THis has only started happening since I installed my Bluetooth adapter, but neither the Accessability Settings within Windows nor the Bluetooth Settings allow me to turn it off. A quick scan with Spybot reveals no malicious software... so what is it?
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:05 am

Does it display in a baloon? If so, it should be attached to an item on the taskbar which caused the message.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sat Aug 20, 2005 12:08 am

No, it's just a box. Like so:
Attachments
Image1.gif
Image1.gif (4.88 KiB) Viewed 9077 times
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:09 am

Ok. Here is a thought. Open the Task Manager. Hit Caps Lock to see if the message apears. Kill one of the proceses. Hit Caps Lock again. Keep going down the list untill the message stop appearing. The process that you killed last would have been responsible for displaying that message. Then you can either disable that process permanently or find its options and stop it from displaying the message.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sun Aug 21, 2005 12:01 pm

Ah, it is the Bluetooth software that's doing it. I wonder why I can't turn it off? Maybe it's to make the comptuer user aware that a change has occured should a bluetooth device toggle one of the keys. But still, it's annoying...

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:38 pm

What's the Penny Arcade icon for?

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:30 pm

It notifies me when there's been an update at Penny Arcade, either a new strip of a new Blog entry. Without it, I'd just plum forget to check to see if Penny Arcade had been updated (as I have done with Diesel Sweeties, amongst other strips).

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:31 pm

I love how quickly this thread went wildly off tangent!
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:55 pm

Squirminator2k wrote:It notifies me when there's been an update at Penny Arcade, either a new strip of a new Blog entry. Without it, I'd just plum forget to check to see if Penny Arcade had been updated (as I have done with Diesel Sweeties, amongst other strips).
i use ComicAlert and newsfeeds for that.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer