Connecting to Nintendo WiFi Connection

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Jonah
Settled in

Connecting to Nintendo WiFi Connection

Post by Jonah » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:00 pm

Hello Folks,

Right my dongle has finally arrived in the post and I am now connected to the Nintendo Wi-Fi network. Now for some connecting is simple, just plug in the dongle, install the drivers and away you go. Well sadly, that was not my experience. What I'm about to write here are for those that may try and connect using a Datel Wi-Fi Max dongle (it may apply to the official Nintendo dongle as well in some circumstances) and ZoneAlarm Security suite.

First of all install the dongle drivers from the CD, insert the dongle into a free USB port, that's step number 1.

Step number 2, run the Nintendo DS Wi-Fi max program and click auto setup, this option will automatically setup the Wi-Fi Max settings. Next go to your internet connection properties and make sure that the 'allow other network users to connect through this internet connection' is ticked. If this option is not ticked then your WiFi dongle will not be able to connect to the internet.

Step number 3, at this point you have to reconfigure Zonealarm. First of all on your main Zone Alarm menu screen select the program controls tab, make sure that the Generic Host Process for Win32 servers is allowed to act as a server.

Step Number 4, click on the firewall tab in Zone Alarm, then click on advanced settings. Select the option, 'this computer is an ICS/NAT gateway' and enter into the local address box your main I.P address, not your dongles I.P.

May seem a pointless thing to write about but someone one day may appreciate it.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:00 pm

People using alternative Firewall software, such as Norton Firewall or NTL Safeguard, will have to do something very similar for their Firewall settings. Useful stuff, this - I think I shall sticky it.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.