Where is everyone?

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:16 am

Just want to make sure that I'm not missunderstood. I'm not intending to go arround the ban with this. However, I think that someone needs to make an announcement when the Map Editor is out, because a lot of people on T17 forums would like to know that. I can set up a temp account for that, or I can ask someone else to do that. Later would probably be better, since it cannot be viewed as a forum rules violation by some people.

Blinx

Post by Blinx » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:01 am

Well if you were to set up another account then you'd better be very careful. Multiple accounts lead to an IP ban sometimes. I wouldnt mind posting the thread for you.

Post it here and i'll copy and paste it over to the forums :)
"I never think of the future - it comes soon enough." - Albert Einstein

Ben and Liam eat incontinent fish.

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:48 am

To be honest I fail to see the threat in an IP ban. If the only way to avoid it is not visiting the forum and the only thing it does is to stop him visiting the forum, then it's not really an issue.

Alex
Settled in

Post by Alex » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:58 pm

ipconfig /renew for great justice!

^^ CURSE YOU PHPBB!

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:25 am

I wonder if they can bann a MAC address.

In any case. This is not an issue of bypassing anything. I know proxies in Russia, and if I really need to, I can even borrow someone else's IP.

Blinx

Post by Blinx » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:33 am

*hides IP away in closet under the ocean*
"I never think of the future - it comes soon enough." - Albert Einstein

Ben and Liam eat incontinent fish.

Alien King
Regular

Post by Alien King » Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:57 am

what good is an IP ban if u can change ur IP address fairly easily?

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:07 am

They can easily ban and IP range, which would make it fairly difficult to obtain an address that does not banned.

Alien King
Regular

Post by Alien King » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:42 am

K^2 wrote:They can easily ban and IP range, which would make it fairly difficult to obtain an address that does not banned.
doesn't that run the risk of accidently blocking someone else from the forum, just because that person's IP address was in the range they blocked?

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Fri Jun 03, 2005 10:53 am

Yes, which is why they tend not to do that right away, but rather wait to see if the person keeps comming back. However, it isn't such a big problem. The way I understand it, this IP block only works to prevent one from registering an account, so if some active user falls into the blocked IP range, that user should still be able to log in. At least, that is the way it would make most sense. If the IP range block prevents a new user from registering or loging in, that user can contact the admin to create an exception for that user's IP. Of course, if that user has a dynamic IP, it becomes a headache.

Paul.Power
He Rocketh So

Post by Paul.Power » Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:45 pm

K^2 wrote:Yes, which is why they tend not to do that right away, but rather wait to see if the person keeps comming back. However, it isn't such a big problem. The way I understand it, this IP block only works to prevent one from registering an account, so if some active user falls into the blocked IP range, that user should still be able to log in. At least, that is the way it would make most sense. If the IP range block prevents a new user from registering or loging in, that user can contact the admin to create an exception for that user's IP. Of course, if that user has a dynamic IP, it becomes a headache.
Dynamic IP must be the biggest cause of serious, targetted and difficult to stop forum spam ever. I should know, for a while I ran a few message boards (very badly)
"Spam is the filling in the sandwich of forum life"

Here, have some Let's Plays: Advance Wars 2 | Advance Wars