The 100% Unofficial Thread

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Zeor
Senior

Re: The 100% Unofficial Thread

Post by Zeor » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:16 pm

NetHack updated this week! :D First time in something like 12 years.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Slick
Beef Stew

Post by Slick » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:05 pm

Star Wars the Force Awakens - was amazing.
Saw it in 3D imax and was worth it. Visually stunning and very well directed. The characters introduced actually have character development and you really care about what happens to them. The trailers do not give away anything.
I don't know if anyone here really cares or not - but I myself am a huge Star Wars fan and was very presently surprised how good this was as a continuation of the former series and how well it is entertaining as just a movie in general.
They NEED to start making movies like this again.
If you can read this....you're not blind.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:22 pm

I'm sure I'll enjoy it but I can't get excited about it. People talking about Star Wars generally just makes me stressed and depressed, these days.

Why? Well, when I was a kid, I watched the original trilogy by renting it out on video (I think I'd seen bits of it before but not the whole thing). I adored the trilogy and they quickly became my favourite films of all time. Not long after, I was thrilled when I found out that there were two secret Star Wars movies nobody talked about. These secret movies were the live action Ewok films: Caravan of Courage and Battle for Endor.

Okay, they weren't brilliant. The first one was more of a fantasy adventure than the sci-fi of the original films but I still enjoyed them and being transported back into that universe. Plus, Battle for Endor has an ultra-dark first act that I was really surprised and impressed with at the time. I also liked the fact that nobody else ever mentioned these films as it felt like I was the only one who knew about them.

So where did I go after seeing the Ewok films? Fortunately, it wasn't long after seeing them that the trilogy was re-released in Special Editions on the cinema! The opportunity to see all the films on the big screen and with cool new special fx and scenes was exhilarating.

Next is where everything went a bit wrong...but not for the reasons you're expecting.

So Phantom Menace came out not too long after the Special Editions and I really enjoyed it (although the first time I watched it was ruined by a younger kid sitting behind me spoiling bits of the film before they happened: "This bit's boring. I want to get to the bit where Qui-Gon dies!". The second time, sans irritating kid, was awesome.) I also loved the next two films. They were all Star Wars to me.

Sadly, this wasn't the case with everyone. Self-confessed Star Wars fans attacked Menace and the other prequels relentlessly day after day everywhere you looked. For someone who enjoyed these films, it was really depressing to be constantly and repeatedly told that you were wrong/an idiot and that they were shit. I hoped eventually things would die down and people would stop talking about the films but they never did. It also ruined my enjoyment of the films. I started to resent the original trilogy because it was always used as this example of perfection against the prequels. As far as I could see, the original trilogy also had flaws. Also, the last time I watched Phantom Menace, I was in a constant state of rage throughout. Not because I didn't like it but because I did and couldn't see how other people could be so negative about it.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mind that these people had a different opinion to me. It was that they constantly pushed this opinion on me day after day and were unwilling to accept that anyone might feel differently from them. It was oppressive. Like some religious maniac knocking on your door every day screaming "WORSHIP JESUS OR GO TO HELL!". I began to hate Star Wars fans and stopped thinking of myself as one, just because I didn't want to be associated with them. Star Wars stopped being fun.

That said, your comment made me happy, Slick because you didn't use your love of the new film to slag off the prequels! Unlike most people talking about Star Wars, it made me think "The new film sounds cool!" rather than feeling profound sadness in my stomach. So, thank you. Even if you do hate the prequels (which you may well do), thanks for not telling me how you do. ;)

NOTE: This has been long and rambling but I had to get it off my chest somewhere. Put simply, I love Star Wars (all eight live action pre-Awakens films) and will probably love the new one (as long as Luke doesn't end up being evil). Star Wars fans are the worst though. Except Slick. He's alright.
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:42 am

The magic of Star Wars was kind of taken away from me before I even saw it, simply by my Dad saying he thought it was boring. As a kid I think I ended up seeing the two sequels but not the first one, and not paying a lot of attention. I re-watched the original trilogy as an adult and enjoyed it, but wouldn't call myself a fanboy. I find the newer films difficult to get into and hard to follow because I haven't particularly cared about or memorised the backstories.

When films are overhyped (in my opinion) I tend to just ignore it and see them in my own time or not at all. I also couldn't care less if a prequel or sequel is panned by critics. I rate some sequels surprisingly highly, eg. Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End, Hannibal, Saw II, Final Destination 3. Being told my taste in movies/music/whatever is shit is something I've just gotten used to!
x_+

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:39 pm

When films are overhyped (in my opinion) I tend to just ignore it and see them in my own time or not at all. I also couldn't care less if a prequel or sequel is panned by critics. I rate some sequels surprisingly highly, eg. Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End, Hannibal, Saw II, Final Destination 3. Being told my taste in movies/music/whatever is shit is something I've just gotten used to!
Oh yeah, there are other things that I like which aren't very popular. It's only Star Wars that it ruined because people slag the prequels (especially Ep1) off everywhere. Barely a day goes by without someone making some snipe at it (even when they're talking about something completely unrelated: "Man, this coffee tastes like crap. You know what else is crap..."). Haven't seen the others but At World's End wasn't bad (though I preferred the first film), it ended the trilogy off nicely.

Other stuff I've enjoyed which isn't very popular:

Prometheus (another prequel! - of sorts)
Joey (the spin-off of Friends. I hated Friends but actually found this funny in a naff cheesy way. everyone else disagreed)
Buffy Series 6 & 7 (a lot of people think it should have ended at 5 but 6 was the first series I watched and I have a soft spot for it. 7 is one of the weaker series but still good. I also don't mind Buffy's sister Dawn)
Jersey Girl (not my favourite Kevin Smith film but not my least favourite either. It's still good and was nice to see him try and do something different)
and many more

So yeah, everything's a matter of taste. It's just a shame some people don't get that.
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:07 pm

Worm Mad wrote:
Buffy Series 6 & 7
That reminds me. Where's 72WTD season 3? :P

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:50 pm

Zeor wrote:
Worm Mad wrote:
Buffy Series 6 & 7
That reminds me. Where's 72WTD season 3? :P
Oh yeah, I've got to .pdf-ise those and send them to Sup. It's a longer job than it sounds because I like to read them through first to make sure there aren't any massive errors and I never really feel in the mood for binging them. Also sometimes Sup can take a little while too, depending on how busy he is.

Thanks for reminding me though :) , I'll get to work on it soon (although probably after Christmas).

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:18 pm

I found this at a fireworks store yesterday.
1226152003.jpg
1226152003.jpg (106.73 KiB) Viewed 91185 times
We're being infringed upon! Lawyer up, boys (and girl)!
Follow me on Twitch! Or don't. I respect your decision.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:25 am

Those... those are Teenage Mutant Ninja Worms if I've ever seen them. This perplexes me.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Cisken1
Settled in

Post by Cisken1 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:13 pm

ViceroyOfMonteCristo wrote:I found this at a fireworks store yesterday.
1226152003.jpg
We're being infringed upon! Lawyer up, boys (and girl)!
9.95 for nightcrawlers?????

What a ripoff!

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:46 am

I updated my Minecraft skin a bit. Not that I play the game a lot, but you know.

I totally redid the head, undesaturated the tunic and added some new accessories. I thought about messing around with the boots some more, but eh. Maybe later.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Slick
Beef Stew

Post by Slick » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:21 pm

Glad I restored an ounce of faith back in humanity for you Worm Mad.
I feel the prequels have redeeming qualities about them and are entertaining in their own way.

Zeor, that is an awesome skin. I should really do one myself - and build something in your world.
In fact we should all get together soon and play some worms or minecraft or SOMETHING all together. For fun and laughs.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:00 am

Slick wrote:Glad I restored an ounce of faith back in humanity for you Worm Mad.
I feel the prequels have redeeming qualities about them and are entertaining in their own way.
On that topic, I finally saw The Force Awakens today!

My, very short, review: Great stuff, a worthy addition to the saga.

Next Stop: Rogue One! :D

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:16 am

Slick wrote:In fact we should all get together soon and play some worms or minecraft or SOMETHING all together. For fun and laughs.
Well, there's both a Team17 and Dream17 group on Steam, and I imagine most people have either Worms Reloaded or Revolution (or like Team Fortress 2 or something else multiplayer). We could try and schedule something and get everyone on Skype, then we could do some 4-player Worms matches so everyone who isn't playing could still watch. Skype has a screen-share function. The only problem is that everyone lives all over the map, so time zones.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:48 pm

Slick wrote:Zeor, that is an awesome skin. I should really do one myself
Tanks. I used this. Works right in-browser, fairly simple, does everything you need. Takes a little learning, but not too bad.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Slick
Beef Stew

Post by Slick » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:31 pm

ViceroyOfMonteCristo wrote:
Slick wrote:In fact we should all get together soon and play some worms or minecraft or SOMETHING all together. For fun and laughs.
Well, there's both a Team17 and Dream17 group on Steam, and I imagine most people have either Worms Reloaded or Revolution (or like Team Fortress 2 or something else multiplayer). We could try and schedule something and get everyone on Skype, then we could do some 4-player Worms matches so everyone who isn't playing could still watch. Skype has a screen-share function. The only problem is that everyone lives all over the map, so time zones.
That would be the tits. Played a few matches with Zeor on Worms Reloaded and it was a lot of fun dying and losing.
Zeor wrote:
Slick wrote:Zeor, that is an awesome skin. I should really do one myself
Tanks. I used this. Works right in-browser, fairly simple, does everything you need. Takes a little learning, but not too bad.
I was going to do some art here and work on that Slicktoon comic forgotten about in the bottom section of the forum. But now I have another distraction.
I need to make a cool looking skin and we all need to do some minecraft.

Paul.Power
He Rocketh So

Post by Paul.Power » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:12 pm

All right, let's see if I can stick around this time :p. I even made the forum one of my home pages, so you never know!

I'd be up for some Worms - preferably Armageddon, but I could do Reloaded (never got the hang of Revolution, sadly - I couldn't even get through the tutorial because the new rope completely baffled me). Easiest way to contact me to get a game set up would probably be with a Skype chat, since that's where I hang out most of the time.
"Spam is the filling in the sandwich of forum life"

Here, have some Let's Plays: Advance Wars 2 | Advance Wars

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:26 pm

Paul.Power wrote:All right, let's see if I can stick around this time :p. I even made the forum one of my home pages, so you never know!

I'd be up for some Worms - preferably Armageddon, but I could do Reloaded (never got the hang of Revolution, sadly - I couldn't even get through the tutorial because the new rope completely baffled me). Easiest way to contact me to get a game set up would probably be with a Skype chat, since that's where I hang out most of the time.
Rad. Great to have you back Paul. I'm guessing that if we did something like this it would have to be in the evening (well, at least relative to my time zone) on a weekend, since that would be night for all you Brits and early afternoon for the Aussies and whatnots. We get everyone in a Skype call so that way anyone currently not playing could still watch through monitor broadcast.

Anyone know if HK, Pigbuster, or anyone else have Steam accounts?

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:47 pm

Yay Paul. :D

edit: Huh I just realized I don't even have a Paul dwarf in my current fortress. I will correct this.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:39 pm

Is the Worms2 WormNET still active? That's the only version I have readily to hand (and, incidentally, the only version I can think of which runs in every version of Windows!).
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.