What would you do if you came across someone from Team17?

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

FrostDragon

What would you do if you came across someone from Team17?

Post by FrostDragon » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:29 pm

Hi. Couldn't find a more suitable place than this to post this thread.

But anyway, if you happened to come across some one from Team17, what would you do?

I would do one of two things, it depends:

1. I'd SCREAM! (as in the "I'm your biggest fan!" scream)

2. I'd stand there speechless and staring. :|
The two best....never mind.

Alex
Settled in

Post by Alex » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:52 am

Eh. When I did I said "Hi, I'm Alex" and shook Luther's hand.

Then I went upstairs and got ready to play Worms 3D.

Those were the days. ;)

^^ CURSE YOU PHPBB!

M3ntal

Post by M3ntal » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:10 pm

Haha, indeed Alex. I just remember Spadge walking in, taking one look at my hair, and saying "Well i'm guessing you're M3ntal".
Ben Paddon is a Horse.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:02 pm

Probably shake their hand.

Although if they were one of the Superfrog dev team I'd... well.
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

Scarface

Post by Scarface » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:50 am

Yeah I'd probaby ask them to try and get me a load of Superfrog memorabilia!

FW
Former Staffmember

Post by FW » Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:04 pm

Give the employee a KFC bucket in the attempt of liking me better.

Alex
Settled in

Post by Alex » Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:40 pm

M3ntal wrote:Haha, indeed Alex. I just remember Spadge walking in, taking one look at my hair, and saying "Well i'm guessing you're M3ntal".
Yes, that was great :D

^^ CURSE YOU PHPBB!

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:03 am

It's a toughie. You think you'll be okay and cool-headed about it, but each time I've met someone I consider to be famous or importnat, I've been nervous as Hell. I mean I got nervous making a phonecall to the company and speaking to a receptionist - imagine how nervous I'd be actually meeting and greeting a member of Team17 staff.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

haikyo

Post by haikyo » Thu Apr 21, 2005 10:41 pm

I would do one of two things, it depends:

1. I'd SCREAM! (as in the "I'm your biggest fan!" scream)

2. I'd stand there speechless and staring. Neutral
lol, I think if you were to do that to any of the guys at Teamsters, they'd be the ones that were speechless! :)
I mean I got nervous making a phonecall to the company and speaking to a receptionist - imagine how nervous I'd be actually meeting and greeting a member of Team17 staff.
There's no need to be nervous when talking to the receptionists. That is unless Mary answers. then you should be nervous. And possibly consider cowering in a dark corner for a short while. Just until things "blow over" :shock:

Of course, I'm only joking; Mary's cool. She gives me cake :D

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:17 am

I don't remember taking a name of anyone, but I do remember babbling like a complete and utter moron. The telephone call went something like this:

Receptionist: Good afternoon, Team17.
Me: Ah. Yes. Hello. Um. You're probably going to think I'm a very sad person, but I run a Team17 Fansite on the Internet.
Receptionist: Well, that is sad! [Jocular laugh] I'm only joking. What can I do for you?
Me: Yes, well, I've been trying to get permission from Martyn Brown to stick a couple of out-of-print games up on my website... well, really it's one out-of-print game and a screensaver. I know Martyn Brown's away at the moment, but is there anyone else I may be able to speak to regarding this?
Receptionist: Hang on, I'll just check for you.

[The unsettling silence of being placed on hold by a company who don't have any Hold Music on their telephone system]

Receptionist: Hello. Right, well you could speak to [a name I've totally forgotten] but they're not available at the moment, I'm afraid. I coudl see if I could get [him/her] to call you back?
Me: No no, I don't want to be a bother. I'll wait until Martyn gets back and I'll drop him an email. Thank you very much for your help.
Receptionist: Byeee!
[click]

In retrospect, it's not a fantastic phonecall. In fact I'd rate iy among the top ten most uncomfortable phonecalls I've had, right up there with the phonecall I got from the former Programmer of Cannon Fodder 3 (my own personal project) and speaking to Codemasters about disposing confidential waste.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

ThreeHeadedMonkey

Post by ThreeHeadedMonkey » Sat Apr 23, 2005 2:10 pm

Squirminator2k wrote:I don't remember taking a name of anyone, but I do remember babbling like a complete and utter moron.
Heheh... At first, I thought this thread was totally pointless. But your post made me laugh. :lol:

Squirminator2k wrote:phonecall I got from the former Programmer of Cannon Fodder 3 (my own personal project) and speaking to Codemasters about disposing confidential waste.
Are you still working on that? Sounds great! I loved Cannon Fodder.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Sat Apr 23, 2005 5:31 pm

I remember being on the phone to Team17 once. I ended the call with "...well, if you speak to Craig Midgley, he knows the sort of problems I have," and he said "yeah, well, that's me."

:oops:

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Thu May 05, 2005 12:42 pm

Squirminator2k wrote:Me: Yes, well, I've been trying to get permission from Martyn Brown to stick a couple of out-of-print games up on my website... well, really it's one out-of-print game and a screensaver. I know Martyn Brown's away at the moment, but is there anyone else I may be able to speak to regarding this?
One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was say "Martyn" instead of "Spadge" to the Team17 receptionist.

Alex
Settled in

Post by Alex » Thu May 05, 2005 6:24 pm

AndrewTaylor wrote:
Squirminator2k wrote:Me: Yes, well, I've been trying to get permission from Martyn Brown to stick a couple of out-of-print games up on my website... well, really it's one out-of-print game and a screensaver. I know Martyn Brown's away at the moment, but is there anyone else I may be able to speak to regarding this?
One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was say "Martyn" instead of "Spadge" to the Team17 receptionist.
When I introduced myself to Luther (who opened the door for me and Oliver) I said to him "I'm Alex."

He had no idea what the hell I was talking about I realised, so I said "Umm.. SargeMcCluck". Then he realised, or I assumed so by the look of HORROR on his face.

^^ CURSE YOU PHPBB!

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Thu May 05, 2005 9:27 pm

AndrewTaylor wrote:One of the hardest things I've ever had to do was say "Martyn" instead of "Spadge" to the Team17 receptionist.
I think I type "Martyn Brown" more than I type "Spadge" - I email him rather a lot. In fact I'm surprised he hasn't had my email address barred yet (I thought he had done at one point, but it turns out I was mis-typing his email address).

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Wed May 11, 2005 12:47 pm

I think I type "Martyn Brown" more than I type "Spadge" - I email him rather a lot. In fact I'm surprised he hasn't had my email address barred yet (I thought he had done at one point, but it turns out I was mis-typing his email address).
Well, to be honest, you do run a site which provides lots of free Team17 publicity. It's in his best interests to work with you as much as possible.
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Wed May 11, 2005 6:47 pm

It is rather difficult to get any kind of answer out of him, though, from my experience anyway.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Wed May 11, 2005 9:36 pm

Pooka wrote:It is rather difficult to get any kind of answer out of him, though, from my experience anyway.
i agree. and i've only mailed him once. no, twice.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Wed May 11, 2005 11:10 pm

Martyn's been very helpful - probably because he knows the sooner he helps me the sooner I stop pestering him! As I've been a monkey on his shoulder for a good year now, he's learnt how to deal with me rather rapidly :p

bonz
CD32 Worms Hero

Post by bonz » Mon May 23, 2005 12:04 pm

i have thoughts lately of spontaneously flying to england and visiting the t17 hq on a monday morning!
if it was late afternoon or evening, i'd ask them to take me to their favourite pub for a beer (or better a cider for me)!
i'd probably also get them a few selected brands of beer from austria as a present!