The "Chris Sawyer" Model

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Run
Fan of Excellence

Post by Run » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:45 pm

So I tried updating it - the patch recognises my version as being Swedish V1.08.168 and then complains I downloaded the wrong patch version (the english one). Yet I installed it as the UK English version. This has happened before.

I'm thinking that something broken and it just installs the wrong shit. I might need someone with a good connection to send me some of the files over MSN in a vain attempt to get it working. Especially that .ICD file.
Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law"

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:22 pm

First, the original CD. Then I had the Loopy Landscapes expansion, which I no longer have. In both cases it works fine.

Is your the original boxed version or the Infogrames/Atari "Best Of" re-release?
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Run
Fan of Excellence

Post by Run » Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:07 pm

It's the original. Hmmm... I do have "Corkscrew Follies" (in the UK it was called Added Attractions - but i bought it in America)

Maybe i could try that.
Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law"

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:32 pm

Run wrote:
Squirminator2k wrote:I managed to get it to work by setting it to Win98/ME compatibility, and disabling Visual Themes. It works fine.
So far I've tried:

1/ Running both setup.exe and rct.exe under compatbility mode for Windows 95
2/ Running both setup.exe and rct.exe under compatbility mode for Windows 98/ME
3/ Running both setup.exe and rct.exe without any compatability mode

They all produce the same error when trying to run the game (see below) except that the blue Loading screen for RCT only appears with 1/ and 3/. So 98/ME compatbility mode looks promising in that it's the exception.

The error I get is the typical Microsoft "report this error" window, and it seems to be complaining about my "rct.ICD" file. Could it be that that is corrupt, or something? Windows calls it an "unknown application" and its size is 6,007,808 bytes.

There's supposed to be a patch somewhere on the internet for rct, though i never had success with it. Did you use that or simply use the original CD and nothing more?

Meanwhile, *cries*
according to chris sawyer's FAQ, the last patch should fix any compatibility problems.
if that doesn't work, you can try the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

xpresschok

Post by xpresschok » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:27 pm

Paul.Power wrote:Unless of course your name is Chris Sawyer. But then, he takes an absolute age to bring out new games because his "team" is so small.
There's also a certain Derek Smart... :D
*/me ducks and runs for cover* :)
(How come, whereever his name is mentioned, people start laughing uncontrollably? ;) )
Please don't feed the grues.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:28 am

I also tried to get RCT working but the patch and compatability mode didn't work. I went and bought RCT2 for £9.99. In the readme or something it says that game files from RCT can't be imported as the game coding is a lot different.