W3D/W4 Map Viewer - A much nicer version.

Whatever you're working on - be it Art, Music, a Fan-Game or a program for use with existing Team17 games - we want to hear about it.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

K^2
Regular

W3D/W4 Map Viewer - A much nicer version.

Post by K^2 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:10 am

As you might or might not be aware, I have written a W3D map viewer some time ago. It was not very good, but it wasn't so bad for a start. The thread with that program got deleted from T17 not long before my banning. I was thinking of putting that program up here, but then I descided that I'll just wait untill my editor project got to a point where I can make a nice enough viewer out of it, and that time has come.

Using the program should be very simple. Just extract the WMapViewer.exe into some easy to reach location, then go to one of the map files (.xom for W3D or .xan for W4), right click on it, go to Open With..., go to Browse, and find the WMapViewer.exe. If you also check the "Allways use the selected program..." option, you should later be able to open the maps by just double clicking them. Alternatively, if this doesn't work, you can also drag the maps onto the WMapViewer.exe or use the command line.

Compared to the older version, this one displays the actual poxels, rather than lattice shells, and only draws the triangles for the outer poxels. This makes the maps look more in-game-like and run much faster. Also, lighting has been slightly fixed. Now all latices are lit from the same direction.

EDIT: CONTROLS
ESDF + WR keys - Move camera.
Arrow keys - Rotate camera.
Escape - Quit.

Edit by S-2K :: Once again, I need to stress that this program is not endorsed or affiliated with Dream17.
Attachments
WMapViewer.zip
(54.62 KiB) Downloaded 990 times
Last edited by K^2 on Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Alien King
Regular

Post by Alien King » Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:53 am

very nice

took me a while to figure out how to move around, but it works nicely

however the floor is always missing

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:00 pm

Looks good. :P I wonder how T17 would take it if/when people started posting their homemade 3D maps on the T17 forum.
x_+

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:19 am

@Alien King: Yeah... Sorry. I forgot to post the controlls. Will fix.

I just realized that I STILL have messed up lighting. I put the camera transformations into the same matrix as the one that I use to rotate the polygon normals, so I have the light rotating with the camera... I'll either have to move the camera tranformation operations from modelview matrix to perspective matrix or pass to the rendering function the vector to the light source relatively to the camera. Or maybe I should just do real hardware lighting instead of my fake software lighting. In any case, I'll get the lighting working eventually.

I'll also work on texture support. At the moment, though, I don't even know where to start with that. I'll probably need to write some sort of a bundle browser.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:59 pm

I wouldn't have thought lighting much of a priority. I know I wouldn't care if the editing tools looked ugly if the main game looked the business.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:30 am

It doesn't matter all that much, which is why I'm not particularly bothered about making the edges look smooth, and I even use flat shading, but some sort of consistent lighting is needed in any 3D editor, because it is hard to tell the shape of an unlit object. But yes, I'm not shooting for anything WYSIWYG. Just as long as general geometry looks about right.

Edit: The editor is now capable of exporting maps. It is not long now untill it will be capable of actually creating them.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:36 am

Something I threw together in about 10 minutes using what I have so far of the editor. About half of the things you can actually do to poxel lattices aren't supported yet, so some more complicated geometry is not yet possible. I should have the non-user-friendly version fully functional in a few days. I'll probably post it for these who simply MUST make their own maps NOW. If anyone actually wants the XOM file for this map (though, I can't imagine why someone would), let me know, and I'll post it. Otherwise, I will not waste space with it.
Attachments
4towers.JPG
4towers.JPG (26.79 KiB) Viewed 18944 times

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:41 am

That's remarkable.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:32 am

Nice going! You're the hope for a generation, K^2. ;)
x_+

M3ntal

Post by M3ntal » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:11 am

Indeed, good job.
Ben Paddon is a Horse.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Fri Jul 15, 2005 12:30 pm

Can we assume that the editor will be forwards compatible with Worms 4...?
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:35 pm

We can assume, but there is no way to be sure untill W4 actually comes out and someone runs one of the maps on it.

In the beginning, only W3D will be supported directly. Id est, there will be functionality to actually add the maps to the game, and, hopefully, to work with textures. After I get W4, which I don't really feel like importing, so it might take a while, I'll try to put in the same functionality for W4. Nevertheless, W3D maps should work with W4, and I'll write up a simple gray scale BMP to W4 height map converter.