Worms4 Models

Whatever you're working on - be it Art, Music, a Fan-Game or a program for use with existing Team17 games - we want to hear about it.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

K^2
Regular

Worms4 Models

Post by K^2 » Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:03 am

As I expected, the mesh format is very straight forward. Bones seem to be pretty simple as well. I have not yet looked at animations.
Attachments
worm.jpg
worm.jpg (13 KiB) Viewed 28582 times
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:00 am

Step right up, step right up. See this once in a lifetime freak of nature. Worm with horns. This is not a hat, ladies and gentlemen. It is a 100% authentic modification of the model.

Yeah, I know. Not all that exciting. I'm still trying to see if I can do something interesting with this. It might be possible to replace models with custom ones. I'm not sure how well it will work for something like worm model itself, but it might work well enough with hats and weapon models. Maybe, in time, even manufacture new weapon and hats models. I haven't yet looked at the way that stuff is defined.

I'm also still looking for ways to hook into the game's file I/O. If I can, I'll write a sync program, and people will be able to take their custom maps, speech banks, hats, and weapons on-line. Might even work for tweaks. We'll see.
Attachments
EvilWorm.jpg
EvilWorm.jpg (12.36 KiB) Viewed 28549 times
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:59 am

Well this is different....
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:03 am

Can you only stretch/modify the existing mesh, or can you add/remove polygons altogether?
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:33 am

Zero72 wrote:Can you only stretch/modify the existing mesh, or can you add/remove polygons altogether?
I can add/remove polygons, in theory, but then I also have to create normals, UV coordinates, and assign bone weights. Since I just wanted a quick hack, I simply moved some vertecies in a hex editor. It's a lot easier.

What I'm working on right now is an ability to import models from some other format. The problem is that I have never worked with any animated formats, and so decoding animations might take a bit too long. Plus, I'd have to decode something like Max or Maya format as well, and that's more work.

Most likely turn of events is that I'll simply create an animation and bone free importer. It will not work for worms or any other animated objects, but it will let you create custom hats (or glasses, mustaches, etc) and weapons. I'm not yet sure what will happen to things like gloves. I might be able to allow their creation by finding nearest vertex in some base .xom file, and assigning bone weights based on that vertex. That way, the custom built gloves should move much the same as the ones that the model was based on.

On the plus side, a simple importer like that can work with a .3DS format, which is pretty much universal, and be extremely simple to use.

Edit: I decided to start with an exporter. Offset detection and texture export done. Just need to write a 3DS generator and it's ready to roll.

Edit2: It's alive, alive! That is, the exporter works, and I need sleep. I'll see what I can do about importing custom objects tomorrow.
Attachments
HatBaseball.JPG
HatBaseball.JPG (9.02 KiB) Viewed 28504 times

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:36 pm

Funky - if you can export a Worm model people may be able to use it for things such as, say, mods for other games. I'd sure love to see a Worms race in Dawn of War, or take a Worm into battle in UT2004. Because I'm sad like that.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 2:17 am

separate program, but it will be part of the tool kit. people will need a 3d worm model to adjust sizes of items they make. of course, you'll have to redo all the bones and animations if you want to move that model to some other game.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:37 am

I figured I'd answer Zero's earlier question more specifically. (Model by Agron of TurboSquid.com)

There are still some issues to work out, but the core of the importer code is complete. [Edit: Issues worked out. Importer works.] Now I need to put in some more work into worm exporter, and perhaps see if I can get the importer working with gloves.
Attachments
ZeroWorm.jpg
ZeroWorm.jpg (21.39 KiB) Viewed 28488 times
Last edited by K^2 on Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:40 am

I love you.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:41 pm

Oooh, that's very funky.

_Kilburn
Settled in

Post by _Kilburn » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:28 pm

OMG... that's.... incredibly.... awesome.... aaargh... *infarction*

Alien King
Regular

Post by Alien King » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:18 am

That's looking nice there. How are the textures done by the way?

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:33 am

Can new models be included in addition to existing ones, or do they have to replace them?

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:56 am

Alien King wrote:That's looking nice there. How are the textures done by the way?
A texture is stored in the .xom along with geometry. The 3D tools I posted in another thread import both.
S2k wrote:Can new models be included in addition to existing ones, or do they have to replace them?
I'm pretty sure it should be possible to add new objects, but I haven't figured out how yet. So at the moment, just replacing.