Superfrog sound effects

Whatever you're working on - be it Art, Music, a Fan-Game or a program for use with existing Team17 games - we want to hear about it.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Moxy

Superfrog sound effects

Post by Moxy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:00 am

Hi all,

I'm at the stage with my Superfrog fan remake where I'll be adding the scoring system, music and sound effects... but I can't seem to find any Superfrog sound effects which I can include in my fan remake.

Does anybody know of any sound effects which would be suitable? Is anybody keen on making up some original sound effects to be included in the game?

I'm only going to need the forest world sound effects for now; I haven't decided if I"m going to extend the game into the later Superfrog levels.

Thanks! :)

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:15 am

I don't believe I could be of help in producing original sfx, but there is the sample ripper option in WinUAE. I'll upload a zip of everything I can get for you in a couple minutes. :)

Moxy

Post by Moxy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:33 am

bucky o'hare wrote:I don't believe I could be of help in producing original sfx, but there is the sample ripper option in WinUAE. I'll upload a zip of everything I can get for you in a couple minutes. :)
Ah that'd be wicked. I'll convert them into mp3 for the game.

I'll be at the stage ready to add sfx in a day or two, so no rush if you're running short on time.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:08 am

Naw, I'm bored and have nothing to do tonight. 8-)

Unfortunately, that sound effect ripper seems to only work for less than half of the samples. The majority get broken up into large strings of very short clips that are each 204 bytes in size for some reason. :(

The ones I were able to get together:

--spring
--ribbit (each time you use that blob-attack-thing)
--hit* (when you hit a bee or a wall, basically when your attack comes into contact w/ something)
--getting hit
--chirp**
*There seems to be some variation in this sound. Sounds like they might have randomized it to alternate through the same sample at two slightly different pitches. You could try retuning it just a bit and saving a second sample if you cared.
**It is incomplete. It is just one chirp alone, not the full pretty thing you hear when you get hurt.

http://download.yousendit.com/747A1861235D3236

What is still needed
--coin get
--fruit get
--weapon get (brassy fanfare)
--wings get* (sounds pretty similar to getting a fruit)
--lucozade drink (slurp)
--(S)top get (sounds almost like "uh oh")
--(S)peed get (wooosh)
--(R)estore get*
--the squeal some enemy blobs make randomly when you squish them.
--better chirping
--invisibility cackle
--level completion
--and one-ups, jewels, and other things you don't normally see in the first world, if you were to include them.

*These might be the same...?
I think that's everything. There is also the wall-break-way rumble and that noise SF makes when he uncovers secrets, but it looks like you won't need them.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:21 am

It should be pretty easy to record the sounds from WinUAE using Windows Sound Recorder or whatever. You just need to go into Volume Control and set recording to be on the Stereo Mix/Wave Out Mix.
x_+

Moxy

Post by Moxy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:24 am

bucky o'hare wrote:...
Thanks heaps for ripping those sfx :) The "chirp" and "get hit" sfx don't seem to have any sound... The others work great, though.

I can probably turn off music in the original superfrog, and record the remaining sfx with cubase or something - hopefully I can isolate all of them.

I definitely don't need the wall smash sound though, I'm not planning on doing breakaway walls.

Moxy

Post by Moxy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:09 am

oh weird. Does anybody know how to turn off music, and leave sound effects on within WinUAE? I thought I did it in the past, but can't figure out how to do it now.

Searching for disabling music turns up nothing.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:03 pm

On a totally related note:

I'm looking for samples of Superfrog's voice, for a new feature I'm (supposed to be) working on. Specifically, the laughter when he picks up an invisibility pill, or discovers a secret passage; the ribbet (which apparently Allister found on the internet); the whee when he dies and the "Superfrog!" he shouts in the 'Amiga Action Challenge' Demo (ROM avaible from my downloads page).

Also samples of his voice from Worms Blast.

I am, of course, TOTALLY unsure about how to get any of the aforesaid samples. I could (and probably will in the case of Blast) wire my line-in lead straight from the headphone jack to line-in port and record using Cool Edit Pro or something, but that will naturally have background music.

So basically, what I'm saying is: Help? Anybody?
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:52 am

Moxy wrote:oh weird. Does anybody know how to turn off music, and leave sound effects on within WinUAE? I thought I did it in the past, but can't figure out how to do it now.

I think you have to disable individual audio channels to do that (I assume WinUAE has some kind of option to do this, as ZSNES does).
Pooka wrote:So basically, what I'm saying is: Help? Anybody?
Sup may be able to help you with ripping out individual Superfrog audio elements from the disk images, but as for Worms Blast... well, the sounds may be in the data files themselves. There must be some way to extract them from there, right?
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:00 am

Moxy, sometimes really short samples have a habit of not wanting to be audible or start at all, depending on what you try and listen to them in. I have no clue why, but it has happened to me before listening to some short drum machine samples in winamp. Try opening the get-hit sample in a program where you can look at the wav form, and maybe add a short segment of silence to the end of it. Hopefully that'd do it.
Bloopy wrote:It should be pretty easy to record the sounds from WinUAE using Windows Sound Recorder or whatever. You just need to go into Volume Control and set recording to be on the Stereo Mix/Wave Out Mix.
The problem there is that there's music constantly playing.

I don't believe that there is a way to turn off the music in WinUAE, which is a bummer! I attempted to take samples in World 5, where I remembered that the music fades out before looping. But the music, as it turns out, just gets quiet and doesn't fade out entirely. I timed it pretty much as good as you could get, but the one coin sample I tried getting still had audible noise from the music, and it stuck out too much.

I'm out of ideas at the moment, asides from maybe tyring to think of other games that have cool samples and trying to get them. A game you can emulate and isolate channels on (SNES, NES...).
Pooka wrote:On a totally related note:

I'm looking for samples of Superfrog's voice, for a new feature I'm (supposed to be) working on. Specifically, the laughter when he picks up an invisibility pill, or discovers a secret passage; the ribbet (which apparently Allister found on the internet); the whee when he dies and the "Superfrog!" he shouts in the 'Amiga Action Challenge' Demo (ROM avaible from my downloads page).
The only one of those I could get is the ribbit. The rest of those samples in question are ones that the sample ripper in WinUAE can't handle. Its in the link I posted for Moxy. It might be a little high pitched and faster sounding than the ribbit you have in mind, but I think it is the same sample and would sound okay if you had the means to slow it down a little.

The ribbit can also be taken from some of the mod files. If you have modplug or another tracker, check out the mod for world 1 - sample 3. You can play it back there by selecting it and hitting the space bar or at different pitches around the keyboard. As long as you have the sample double clicked on the left menu and you're browsing the samples tab on the right, you can export the sample out as a wav file with the disk icon.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:38 am

bucky o'hare wrote:The majority get BORK'D up into large strings of very short clips that are each 204 bytes in size for some reason.
Haha, er, the solution for one of these was just stringing them all back together. It was a bit insane, because WinUAE broke this up into over 60 individual wavs.

Superfrog's death cry, as just one sample. Which happens to be one I forgot to list above. :P

Tomorrow I can see if this method will work for others.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Thu Feb 01, 2007 12:58 am

Squirminator2k wrote:
Moxy wrote:oh weird. Does anybody know how to turn off music, and leave sound effects on within WinUAE? I thought I did it in the past, but can't figure out how to do it now.

I think you have to disable individual audio channels to do that (I assume WinUAE has some kind of option to do this, as ZSNES does).
Pooka wrote:So basically, what I'm saying is: Help? Anybody?
Sup may be able to help you with ripping out individual Superfrog audio elements from the disk images, but as for Worms Blast... well, the sounds may be in the data files themselves. There must be some way to extract them from there, right?
I don't know where you get these wacky ideas of me doing such insane things... but I don't like letting people down. :P

http://dream17.abime.net/supsuper/Superfrog%20Sounds.zip

I ripped these off the DOS version, if you want. And added in the "ribbit" from the MOD and "superfrog" from the action challenge for Pooka.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:01 am

Thanks, dude.
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:48 am

Awesome!

Moxy

Post by Moxy » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:43 am

Wow, thanks heaps for all the help.

SupSuper, that is wicked, I unzipped the archive and all the sounds were there. Thanks heaps for putting in so much time to get it all together.

One file sounded "not quite right".. the spring sound seems to stretch out too long.. is this a specific spring in the game that does this? The springs in the forest world seem be a short sharp boing.