The Future of SuperFrog

Team17 makes other games? I had no idea!

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

The Future of SuperFrog

Post by Squirminator2k » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:35 pm

With "news" of a new SuperFrog title on the way, I thought we could discuss what they have in the pipelines.

So get chatting!
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:53 pm

It's not going to happen, you know.
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:09 am

I think they're planning on making a Virtual Reality SuperFrog sequel set in a harsh dystopian future where SuperFrog has lost his best friend, Spud, and must now patrol Frogam City - righting wrongs and seeking redemption.

It'll be called... SuperFrog 2: SuperFrog Croaks Again
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:09 pm

Will the game have optional plot tangents, resulting ultimately in different endings and scenarios throughout? If so, Superfrog should find a note, which at first seem abrupt and ambiguous, but later reveals itself to be the clue to who killed his father!
Trauma sets in as it becomes apparent your so-called best friend is infact your arch-nemesis. The problem is, he knows all your moves. Classic one-liners ensue.
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:20 pm

All jokes aside, Martyn has told me that they do have plans for a new SuperFrog title, but they're either not allowed to discuss it with me, or they're keeping it under their hat. I think they must have plans, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten all uppety about the Fan-Game.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Paul.Power
He Rocketh So

Post by Paul.Power » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:07 pm

Vader wrote:Superfrog should find a note, which at first seem abrupt and ambiguous
So an F# hemidemisemiquaver, then.
"Spam is the filling in the sandwich of forum life"

Here, have some Let's Plays: Advance Wars 2 | Advance Wars

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:22 pm

Or Holly's addition, H
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:31 pm

I don't think the general public gives a damn about Superfrog. Most people don't even know or remember it. Which kinda makes it hard to consider brining him back if his potential market is so darn small. A GBA title would have worked beautifully but it feels kinda late. A cart with versions of Superfrog, Alien Breed and Project X would have done me nicely.

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:40 pm

I have one word for you:

Viewtiful Joe
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:44 pm

Vader wrote:I have one word for you:

Viewtiful Joe

Thats two words...

and what about it?

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:50 pm

Surely it's the updated, modern take on Beautiful Joe, an older, less known game?

Surely it sold very well, so well infact that there's a sequel out?

Surely Team17 can do the same with Superfrog. How many other companies have a frog mascot? They can at least milk that and bring it to a new audience, even if the noobs think it is a new character...

I think Superfrog could be the IP which turns Team17 from a Worm factory to a fully fledged developer again!
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:00 pm

I've never heard of a Beautiful Joe except for a movie which is totally unrelated. And its used as a headline in certain reviews of Viewtiful Joe when praising the graphics. I don't see anything in Capcoms history that shows of a game with this title. You got anymore info? Also check this...

[quote]After Capcom revealed Viewtiful Joe in 2002, Kamiya, laughing, explained to the audience that Japanese people wouldn't be able to fully appreciate the game's pun-derful title. You see, the Japanese language doesn't include the letter "V."

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:12 pm

Wolverine wrote: If done as a 3D (grr) update of the Superfrog game I doubt most people would like it that much and probably think its like a Sonic Adventure kind of game perhaps mixed with Mario 64 style backgrounds.

I'm kinda hoping if Superfrog does come back that they'll play more on the Super and Frog aspects. Maybe have Superman's X-ray/Heat Vision, maybe a frogs long tongue to catch bad guys and swing them into walls and stuff. I just think additional gameplay features like that could be fun.
I'll have a look - it's not a game I played but from what I've read about it the impression I got was that it was a remake of an older game. I could be wrong :P

Anyway, I was never a huge SuperFrog fan. I played it at a friends house a few times and liked it, but even he introduced it as "a bit like sonic with a frog"

A truely Super Frog would be able to leap tall buildings, croak louder than a locomotive and of course lick flies. The tongue idea seems a bit too Yoshi to me though :(

Perhaps making him croak would send out froggysonic waves, stunning the enemies within its reach.
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:40 pm

Vader wrote:Anyway, I was never a huge SuperFrog fan. I played it at a friends house a few times and liked it, but even he introduced it as "a bit like sonic with a frog"

I always hated that comparison... just cos they both can run fast? To me Superfrog had far better gameplay, mainly cos with Sonic the Hedgehog I never truly felt like I was in control of Sonic. Ya run a bit, guide him into some loop the loops and springs and the level ends up controlling Sonic more than you do. Superfrog required much more precise controlling and ultimatlely felt much more satisfying.

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:52 pm

I couldn't agree more. I was never a Sonic fan either. I liked Mario :)

There was a kind of twitchy nervous skill invloved in Sonic though... you were never really sure when you can and can't do something without losing all your rings.

Mario is just aces all round. So simple but so difficult. We recently rekindled our affection when I bought Duck Hunt and Mario Bros. on one cart for £3! Mmmmm
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:11 pm

Vader wrote:There was a kind of twitchy nervous skill invloved in Sonic though... you were never really sure when you can and can't do something without losing all your rings.
Yeah but still they have very shallow gameplay. And it never took too long to find more rings.
Mario is just aces all round. So simple but so difficult. We recently rekindled our affection when I bought Duck Hunt and Mario Bros. on one cart for £3! Mmmmm
I still got my NES and SNES with all their Mario games (proper ones). Don't play them much though on actual console. Emulators just easier to set up and use in this place. Mario 1,3, World and Yoshi's Island all classic. Ever try playing Speed Super Mario Bros? The first game... just as fast as you can, always keep running and jumping. Now thats a nervous twitch game...

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:01 pm

Wolverine wrote:Ever try playing Speed Super Mario Bros? The first game... just as fast as you can, always keep running and jumping. Now thats a nervous twitch game...
Isn't that how it's *supposed* to be played? I also heard that the more enemies you kill the more appear later in the game or something :P

I wish I had all my old games... My mum gave all mine to my cousin or something generically fierce like that. She even threw all my lego in the skip! :evil:

Mario 2 was kick-arse but I never completed it. I think I got to the last level but it was summer and you know what its like...12 hours on the NES and 3 outside... some serious gaming cutbacks lol
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:41 pm

The old gameplay can't be recreated in a 3D game for countless reasons so a modern release of Superfrog would have to be really special otherwise it would be classed as another kiddy platformer.

High-power gaming systems shouldn't dictate how many dimensions games are in. A good 2D platformer can be made for a home console if it satisfies, but the reduced development cost over a 3D title would make it difficult to justify a decent price tag, forcing the title to be demoted to budget status. That's why you're more likely to find classic 2D games released individually on a mobile system - metaphorically that market is a smaller pond.

The simplicity of SF's gameplay made the game more enjoyable. How does a developer make a game that uses a basic concept without being unoriginal?

Vader
Settled in

Post by Vader » Sat Oct 22, 2005 1:43 pm

Like Mega Man.

It doesn't and wouldn't and never will work in 3D (apart from maybe the RPG style MM on GC, or is that too many acronyms?).

Mega Man X for teh win!
-------666-------
Brraaaaiiiinnss
-------666-------

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:57 pm

I'd be much more interested in this if Team17 were actually going to make another SF title.

But they're not.

And if they are, I'm not involved, and that sucks ass!
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.