WMapEditor - new and improved

Whatever you're working on - be it Art, Music, a Fan-Game or a program for use with existing Team17 games - we want to hear about it.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

K^2
Regular

WMapEditor - new and improved

Post by K^2 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:32 pm

I think I finaly got it to the point where it's actually possible to use the editor to create something more complex than a block with another block on it. The keyboard shortcuts are back, unfortunately, but most annoying of them have been replaced by mouse-driven operations, plus, there is a nifty load/save interface, which, I think, people will like.

There is a lot of stuff. Read the README file. Read it twice. If you feel like you have a question, third time is a charm. Then, of course, feel free to ask it here or by e-mail.

The editor may still be unstable. I've only done so much testing. It may crash randomly or for some specific reason. So save your work, and save it often. If it does keep crashing on the same place, and you tell me specifically enough what you are trying to do, I might be able to fix it. Please, include your system specs if you are going to complain about crashes.

Oh, and as allways, to clear Ben of any charges that T17 might bring against me some day, this has nothing to do with D17 site. I'm just using the forums to post my work.

Edit: If someone who isn't affraid of T17's wrath would post an announce on T17's forums, it would be neat.
Done and link removed by T17 staff.
Attachments
WMapEditor.zip
(43.56 KiB) Downloaded 1801 times
Last edited by K^2 on Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Gran_PC

Post by Gran_PC » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:16 pm

-
Last edited by Gran_PC on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:31 pm

That is odd. Perhaps, there is a problem with OpenGL on your system. Have you had similar problems with any games?

I might be able to create a port that runs under DirectX. I'll look into it.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Gran_PC

No

Post by Gran_PC » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:54 pm

-
Last edited by Gran_PC on Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:18 pm

The problem with Splinter Cell is more likely to be an issue with the Pixel Shader. It's a DirectX game, so no connection. Most games these days are.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:28 pm

Mostly working rather well for me! Some problems/suggestions:

This version of the program stops responding if I switch to another window and then switch back to it, or if I minimize and then restore it.

It would be handy if the working directory was set to the location of the map specified in startup, or the location of WMapEditor itself if there's no startup map. Currently it defaults to C:\Documents and Settings\Bloopy... for me.

edit: Also had a few crashes:

Crashed when trying to delete a lattice which had a * next to it, possibly because of deleting 2 lattices in a row.

I've managed to get a map which crashes when I try to save something to it, and when I load it up again I've got poxels stretching off into space. I think this is how the problem occured: I saved a lattice I had made in my map to another file. I put two more copies of that lattice into my map. I moved around some of the lattices attached to one of those copied lattices, and that caused them to be moved in the same way for the other 2 identical lattices. I then changed the amount of poxels in the lattice, but doing this didn't affect the other 2 identical lattices. Undoing the change to the amount of poxels allowed me to continue working with the map happily.
x_+

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:15 pm

I'm not sure why it would stop responding, but the Window message handling system sucks, so I'm not suprised. You probably notticed that you can't even close the window usint the X in the corner unless you move the window first. I'll try to see if I can find something.

The working directory is set to your Windows directory if you drag a map onto the editor. If you start it by simply double clicking the .exe, it will be set to the directory in which the program is installed. I can make it so that it's the directory from which the map was dragged.

No idea why it would crash with the *. I'll try messing with it and see if I can replicate it.

The second problem you describe sounds like the one where you drag the map from the map list onto a lattice that is contained in that very map. Basically, appending a map to itself. The program is supposed to make copies of all the latticies, so it isn't supposed to matter, but there is a glitch in there that causes linking to be messed up. What you'll see is the same lattice or group of lattices attached in several places. If you edit it, it will change in each of these places. Personally, I think it would allow for some neat stuff if it was allowed to be done, but the game really doesn't like it.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 1:40 am

Newsworthy! :D
K^2 wrote:No idea why it would crash with the *. I'll try messing with it and see if I can replicate it.
I think that might actually have happened because of the second crash problem I described.
x_+

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:33 am

Bloopy wrote:I think that might actually have happened because of the second crash problem I described.
That would do it for sure. And bloody poxels indeed. Thanks.

AlexBond

Post by AlexBond » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:54 pm

I a'm AlexBond (http://www.worms3d-portal.com). I am glad that else there
are enthusiasts as you to create such type of the program, RESPEСT. In
general always it was not pleasant to me that in Multiplayers it is
impossible to play on maps from missions, therefore I have made a
patch for new maps(Worms3D Patch for New Maps v.1.020) which replace
already having while them only 20, by virtue of that that I only
changed names in Scripts.xom and is long names is limited, as well as
weather. Alas but weathers of Ice and Aliens it is not enough,
therefore it was necessary to combine incompatible :(
In total in game I have found 87 various maps. In the list of a choice
of maps 32 hold only, I heard that it is a limit, but can eat a way to
bypass it and to increase the list?

Your program is good, but does not give an opportunity of full editing
:(
I shall result most important of them of remarks.

The important remarks:
1. It is impossible to edit the Layer at level Bezier or NURBS
directing, I do not know what way developers used but is by the form
clear that there is directing.
2. It is very inconvenient to create objects having only the task of
coordinates to corners. I would transform change of corners by a
matrix of transformation. For example you allocate a layer and you
apply to it rotate, resize, moving.

Not the important remarks:
1. It is too many management on the keyboard, it is inconvenient, and
all would be more practical to replace with the mouse. Keys can be
enclosed in Pop-Menu which it would be unwrapped by pressing the right
button of the mouse.
2. Allocation of objects is not organized, since at dragging a window
the position of the cursor is considered from zero, without
consideration positions of a window.
3. The awful interface, but convenient at use :). It is possible to
create even the menu and to lay out the basic commands there since in
memory all you will not remember.
4. Errors with Poxels, in general very much frequently the program
crash, at work with Poxels.

But, all the same I speak thanks K^2 for your contribution to
Worms.

P.S. I too the programmer and if the help is necessary in what
address, would be glad to promote for improvement of the project.
Sorry, my english is bad, i from Belarus.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:56 am

Thanks for the input. Do you speak Russian? I grew up in Russia, so if it's easier than English, feel free to send me PMs or e-mails in Russian.
1. It is impossible to edit the Layer at level Bezier or NURBS
directing, I do not know what way developers used but is by the form
clear that there is directing.
I'm not sure what exactly you mean. There are no NURBS or Bezier patches in Worms3D levels. There are some polygonal objects on some levels. They are included as entities and the geometry is stored in bundles. The editor does not support these.
2. It is very inconvenient to create objects having only the task of
coordinates to corners. I would transform change of corners by a
matrix of transformation. For example you allocate a layer and you
apply to it rotate, resize, moving.
If you mean on layer editing, what editor lets you do is all that the file format supports. Layers can only be moddified by changing two corner coordinates.
1. It is too many management on the keyboard, it is inconvenient, and
all would be more practical to replace with the mouse. Keys can be
enclosed in Pop-Menu which it would be unwrapped by pressing the right
button of the mouse.
I wanted to make a menu for a while, and this is a good idea. I'll look into it.
2. Allocation of objects is not organized, since at dragging a window
the position of the cursor is considered from zero, without
consideration positions of a window.
There should be some code tracking this, but I must have messed it up somewhere. I'll see what I can do about it.
4. Errors with Poxels, in general very much frequently the program
crash, at work with Poxels.
It's very easy to end up with a memory leak if you change the lattice size without updating the poxels. I should probably put in some sort of an automatic checker for that. It should reduce number of errors.

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Wed Nov 29, 2006 5:01 pm

Now I would have thought cracking the file format the near-impossible, Herculean task, and writing an interface something of a doddle, especially since you have a decent viewer up and running.

I'd have thought something like this would be a simple and intuitive thing to use and simple enough to code if you have standard Windows UI elements available (or if you can code a few buttons):

The viewer on the left has three inputs: left-drag, right-drag and click. Click selects a lattice. Left-drag does whatever is selected in the right hand menu to the select poxel in the X- and Z-axes, and right-drag controls the Y-axis. To change, just click a new funciton from the right menu. They all just adjust in three dimensions so the drag will cover it.

A few spin controls would do to adjust the number of poxels in the lattice, and an update button next to them would be easier to code and manage than just updating when you change one.

Then you'd want a button to delete the lattice or to add a child to it. Ideally you'd probably want "add child" to select the new lattice, but maybe not.

I guess you'd also want a menu for to select latices as well as the click method, in case someone delete all the poxels in one or something and there's nothing to click.

Oh, and that what I've said so far won't let you adjust the layers or heightmap. I've not worked out a good way to do that yet, but I'm sure there is one. If there's not, it'd be nice to have a simple editor as well as this one so you could block out the landscape and then load the complex editor to finish it properly.

I'm largely just thinking out loud here, so don't expect I've thought this all through completely. If I've missed any crucial details that render this post stupid do please point them out, but I haven't spotted any yet.

Edit: And you'd want camera controls on the menu as well -- move and look would do, but walk and orbit would be handy.
Attachments
w4ed.png
w4ed.png (10.13 KiB) Viewed 25789 times