Worms Armageddon Main Menu HD

Whatever you're working on - be it Art, Music, a Fan-Game or a program for use with existing Team17 games - we want to hear about it.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

CandyFace

Worms Armageddon Main Menu HD

Post by CandyFace » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:15 pm

Hello o/ I'm new here but i've been part of the worms community for quite a while.
I made this over a day, it's my wish how worms Armageddon menu could look like in version 4.0

Sensitive souls should not look at this - You have been warned!
First Attemp
Click on image to see in 100% size.

Second attempt.

Changes:
- Pupils and eye Proportionals should be much more accurate
- Eye path improved too
- Minor changes in lips
- Minor changes in shadow all around.
- Moved eyes further down in the network section
- Major change in the painting on the wall, should look much more like the original now
- Added shadow beneath picture frame
- Somehow my second test explosion ring made it to the canvas again, that has been removed

I have the .psd file with a LOT of layers also if this can be useful in any way :)
Last edited by CandyFace on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:28 pm, edited 11 times in total.

Star and Moon
Regular

Re: Worms Armageddon Main Menu HD

Post by Star and Moon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:31 am

... HAHAHAHA

Those worms look so deformed! But anyway, nice job, just combine it with some better art and you got something pretty cool!

CandyFace

Post by CandyFace » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:28 am

Deformed? That's strange since i have used the original worm path from the old menu as reference,
I just tried to not change the style too much, so it still would fit the armageddon look. I can do much more detailed if needed but i didn't want to overdo it ;)
Last edited by CandyFace on Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

_Kilburn
Settled in

Post by _Kilburn » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:29 am

CandyFace wrote:Deformed? That's strange since i have used the original worm path from the menu,
I just tried to not change the style too much, so it still would fit the armageddon look. I can do much more detailed if needed but i didn't want to overdo it ;)
They have disproportioned eyes, especially the ones on top. It looks really off.

CandyFace

Post by CandyFace » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:40 am

_Kilburn wrote:
CandyFace wrote:Deformed? That's strange since i have used the original worm path from the menu,
They have disproportioned eyes, especially the ones on top. It looks really off.
Ah well that's true :p and yes they do indeed look wrong, i've had that feeling in a long time but wanted some feedback on that. What about the ones in the network menu?

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:02 pm

_Kilburn wrote:
Also their lips look weird too... not to mention the worm in the frame...

Want me to draw you a fresh clean worm in inkscape?
CandyFace wrote:What about the ones in the network menu?
Those ones look fine.

CandyFace

Post by CandyFace » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:41 pm

I'll try once more with the worms but sure please make a worm i can use as template :)
The worm in the frame was quite annoying and just didn't fit, which is why i changed it but to be serious... i don't like it either so i'll change it back and do some more work on it.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:04 pm

Yeah it's just that one oversized forward eye that makes them look weird.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

CandyFace

Post by CandyFace » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:13 pm

I totally understand, they're on steroids :D
but that should be fixed now, i'll probably upload an updated version soon.

Edit: It's up.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:46 pm

Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch better. Lip still bothers me a bit but it's alright I guess.

CandyFace

Post by CandyFace » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:20 am

Indeed way better, i had worked with the first version for quite a while which made me not focus on the eyes such in the end but not this time, also the lip should be better than before, can you be more specific if about it? The overall of my second attempt looks MUCH better and way more precise.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:27 pm

I'm still not completely sure if I even understand the purpose of the project, but well done, anyway. :P
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:46 am

CandyFace wrote:Indeed way better, i had worked with the first version for quite a while which made me not focus on the eyes such in the end but not this time, also the lip should be better than before, can you be more specific if about it? The overall of my second attempt looks MUCH better and way more precise.
Yeah, it's alright, I'm stupidly comparing it to the way I draw the worms to the way they actually are in WA. It's perfectly fine.

KRD

Post by KRD » Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:47 am

Looks kind of nice, though I think I'd personally prefer a simple vectorisation of the current frontend art to something this much "improved" in my 4.x. Except for maybe the floating stars in the background, I never liked how flat they looked. Perhaps a hint of 3D might be an improvement for those, give them a shape slightly to the tune of something like this?

http://www.snyderstreasures.net/pages/usrank.htm

I don't know. Certainly your second attempt improves on the first one quite a bit, though. It actually makes the annoying worm in the portrait almost lovable somehow now that his edges aren't all hairy and the shadows around him all blurry because of the palettisation.

CandyFace

Post by CandyFace » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:34 pm

KRD wrote:Looks kind of nice, though I think I'd personally prefer a simple vectorisation of the current frontend art to something this much "improved" in my 4.x. Except for maybe the floating stars in the background, I never liked how flat they looked. Perhaps a hint of 3D might be an improvement for those, give them a shape slightly to the tune of something like this?

http://www.snyderstreasures.net/pages/usrank.htm

I don't know. Certainly your second attempt improves on the first one quite a bit, though. It actually makes the annoying worm in the portrait almost lovable somehow now that his edges aren't all hairy and the shadows around him all blurry because of the palettisation.
I'm not quite sure i get that, so you mean it's having a loveable facial now or you think it's loveable in the way you like it more than the original because of the palletizing?

KRD

Post by KRD » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:08 pm

The way it is in the game, it's annoying because of both the artifacts and the stupid grin. In your second attempt, it's quite a bit less annoying because the artifacts are gone, so I can live with the stupid grin. And we're pretending your first attempt never happened. :P

CandyFace

Post by CandyFace » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:24 pm

KRD wrote:The way it is in the game, it's annoying because of both the artifacts and the stupid grin. In your second attempt, it's quite a bit less annoying because the artifacts are gone, so I can live with the stupid grin. And we're pretending your first attempt never happened. :P
Indeed my first attempt was a major fail :3
I might as well delete or hide it.