What would you guys say to a Dream17 Chatroom?

For all things regarding the website and forum, like suggestions, support, or just pointing out all our terrible mistakes.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Jonah
Settled in

Post by Jonah » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:45 pm

Sorry, my mistake. :oops:

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Jan 09, 2006 1:26 pm

If someone can suggest a good IRC server, I'll set the app up and get everything sorted from there. I will admit to not being fantastic when it comes to IRC, but I'm willing to give it a go.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:10 pm

It really doesn't matter which network you go for because they'll all perform very similarly. Problem with QuakeNet is that you must maintain a presence there so you may have to shell out for an IRC bouncer or ask someone with a dedicated server nicely if you can put one on theirs. It's a good network and their bots are easy to use, though, and a lot of the account management stuff is also web-based.

UK: uk.quakenet.org

Undernet is a popular network that was home to The Allotment's #worms (now a channel populated by Romanian W:A players. They've had the channel for about six months. IIRC it was abandoned before that by the people who took it over and forced The Allotment to move their channel to GamesNet, where it eventually became corrupt). It's well-established and has good channel control bots but I've suffered a few netsplits on there. It can protect nicks for you.

UK: surrey.uk.eu.undernet.org

Pooka'sMate'sNet is a mysterious service and little is known about it. If you have a fetish for dark things and like to put your life in to the hands of destiny then arrange for a secret rendezvous. Reserving a channel and its operators during their absence may not be a problem since Pook knows the guy that owns it. And it will fit our cosey little community to be wrapped in something else that's small and personal.

If you don't mind leaving your computer on overnight, Ben, then I suggest you download mIRC and join the server and channel of your choice now and leave yourself there until you sort out channel bots. It pays to clock up hours in a new channel, it goes towards your claim for the bots. For example, I jointly rented a dedicated server with a mate over a year ago for game servers and we called ourselves the Coalition. I started #coalition on QuakeNet and registered on their site, but before I could obtain bots I needed to have spent a certain amount of time in the channel. The process is all automated. In fact, you may as well go for QuakeNet now I think about it because I can't think of any disadvantages.

You can open multiple copies of mIRC to connect to different servers.

Okay, here's what I think you should do:

1. Get mIRC, get on QuakeNet #dream17 and stay there until you know you won't be using the service.

2. Speak to Pooka's mate, ask him what his uptime is, if he can give us channel maintenance bots that keep a channel open and auto-op people and if he can give you any bouncers (optional, not required if he'll give you the bots but nice to keep the channel seemingly populated).

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:53 pm

Matt seems to know a lot about what he's talking about, so I'm making him the Official Unofficial Chatroom Patriot until further notice.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:03 pm

Oo-err!

I'll do the tasks, then. If you need to contact me you have my IM details, captain.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:12 pm

Let me know when you're done, so I can set up the Chat Room mod to point to the proper server/channel.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer