Oekaki on the fanart section

For all things regarding the website and forum, like suggestions, support, or just pointing out all our terrible mistakes.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Pilger
Regular

Oekaki on the fanart section

Post by Pilger » Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:29 pm

Possible? Would be delightfully and randomly incredible if we could doodle right into the forum. :D

Zeor
Senior

Re: Oekaki on the fanart section

Post by Zeor » Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:46 am

I... gotta say, that would be pretty much rad right on its face.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:37 am

I actually have quite some experience with phpBB. I'm looking into the oekaki thing to see what would be needed for us to have it.

I think I'm willing to help install it or install it on my own if the administration allow me to do so.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:17 am

I'm happy to install something but Oekaki / PaintChat software is incredibly archaic and usually only available on the few sites still hosting it since 2000.

If you don't mind using a standalone program there's always OpenCanvas: http://wistinga.online.fr/opencanvas/
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:46 am

OpenCanvas is great. I used it a lot back in t17 days. It defeats the purpose of being able to draw directly on the forum though. If one was to use OC, one could use Photoshop, Flash or whatever other program, since he/she would have to save and then upload the image.

I was kinda aiming for something simpler (even archaic) that could work in a simpler way.

EDIT---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've joined http://neondragonart.com/oekaki and it seems to work really well here. Even detects the tablet's pressure. All I had to do was add the site on the "safe sites" list on the Java control panel.

But still, yea. Not REALLY necessary.
Attachments
shipainter_oekaki.jpg
(247.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by Pilger on Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:05 am

Smoligans, I remember OpenCanvas. I remember being all high and mighty when I got the newer version a million years ago and posting a crummy art thread.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

HuntaKilla

Post by HuntaKilla » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:29 am

hhnnngh I miss drawing in oekaki, the sites with it that I used to draw on have all slowly died

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:47 pm

Pilger wrote:OpenCanvas is great. I used it a lot back in t17 days. It defeats the purpose of being able to draw directly on the forum though. If one was to use OC, one could use Photoshop, Flash or whatever other program, since he/she would have to save and then upload the image.

I was kinda aiming for something simpler (even archaic) that could work in a simpler way.

EDIT---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've joined http://neondragonart.com/oekaki and it seems to work really well here. Even detects the tablet's pressure. All I had to do was add the site on the "safe sites" list on the Java control panel.

But still, yea. Not REALLY necessary.
Oh I thought you meant one of those collab simultaneous multiple people oekaki dealies. No idea how those work.

Something that just saves it into an attachment is probably managable, I'll see what I can do.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:54 pm

Never heard of a collaborative Oeakaki. To be fair, I've never actually opened an Oekaki since last week. I just use to hear about them and see some work done with them. I think HK would know more about it.

Nonetheless, it would make an awesomely fluid experience if we could, for instance, take an image posted by someone, edit on Oekaki and post it right into the forum.

HuntaKilla

Post by HuntaKilla » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:00 pm

ok so I went trawling through old screenshots to try and show some examples
this is the early multiple user oekaki and it was kinda hard to use, this screenie is from 2009

this is the modern oekaki I guess

this is the modern oekaki that lets like 20+ people draw simultaneously, haven't really found anywhere to use it besides Niko's Paintchat. Everyone just calls it paintchat not oekaki though

but yeah when I saw "oekaki" I thought of that middle one, just the basic single-user version.

Also if you wanna do collab drawing on something not restricted to a browser, there's a new program called Drawpile that's a free download, I've tried it and it seems better than Opencanvas which is pretty outdated now

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:05 pm

Tried Drawpile but it's a bit weird, but works. The problem is the need for someone to host and that it's a standalone software that needs to be installed and such. So it wouldn't be so inclusive as a browser version.

I think something like paintchat would be awesome, but not really necessary. If we take in consideration all the timezones the users are in, it would be rather unlikely to get people together at the same time. I guess we could settle for the classic single-user Oekaki.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:06 pm

Friend of mine used to run a Paintchat but I think he started having some major problem with it because it's antiquated in some fashion.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:14 pm

Zeor wrote:Friend of mine used to run a Paintchat but I think he started having some major problem with it because it's antiquated in some fashion.
So are we. :roll:

I claim for an antiqued painter for antiquated people! :)

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:17 pm

I mean "major problem" in a strictly technological sense. But considering I don't have a clue what it was, I also might just be talking through a paper ass.

I'd agree that I'd take whatever we can get, anyhow. Oekaki and paintchat would both be fun, though maybe in slightly different ways. It'd be a good way to keep members around, too.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:37 pm

I think the "major problem" he might have had is that Google Chrome doesn't accept it anymore. That isn't much of an issue, since most people can open IE, Edge or Firefox (preferable) just for that.

And you have to whitelist the site on Java's options. Is pretty straightforward once the person know what has to be done. And we would tell them in bold letters.