SuperFrog: Pond Spawn officially announced!

Team17 makes other games? I had no idea!

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

SuperFrog: Pond Spawn officially announced!

Post by Worm Mad » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:04 am

That's right, folks. We've been wanting to tell you about this for some time, but due to our agreement with Team17, we've only been able to release the news, now.

Basically, Team17 allowed us this exclusive, before all the major sites for computer game news, out of respect for our long-standing support for their company.

So, yeah, there you have it. A new SuperFrog game is on the horizon and it's for PC only! (don't know where you got that info about consoles, Ben -it may come out on consoles later but we've no word on that, yet)

Anyway, feel free to discuss this momentous news below!

NOTE: Talks are ongoing as to whether I'll be allowed to continue my role as the voice of SuperFrog, given that the franchise is likely to skyrocket from this point on.
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:17 am

Yeah, sorry about that console thing. I don't have the press release on me at work, and I'd assumed it would be a console title as the market for platform games on the PC is slim-to-nil (in fact UbiSoft are the only company producing 3D platformers for the PC...).

Good news all 'round, though.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:43 am

Pfffft. Good one lads. :wink:

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:44 am

...No, wait, hang on a second.

I'm sure I've been left out of the loop somehow. Despite being a Dream17 staff member, I didn't find out about this until just now. But that's not what riles me the most.

What GETS me is the fact that I run the biggest and best (and only) Superfrog fan-site on the net, and that Team17 neglected to tell me anything at all. Hell, I would have just been happy with a quick e-mail saying "a new Supefrog sittle is in the works, but keep it under your hat".

But nothing.

Nothing at all.

So no, it isn't good news all round. I'm OK with them making another Superfrog title, but I've been carrying the good name for years, and them jus totally forgetting about me is sickening, frankly.
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:57 am

Don't take it personally. I'm sure they had their reasons. Maybe they view your site as smaller and less important. Maybe they don't. I don't know. But this is hardly the place to be discussing this.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:13 am

Well where else am I supposed to discuss it? Maybe this site is bigger, but it's WAY more generalised... AND it hasn't been around as long, either! :cry:

Sektor

Post by Sektor » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:14 am

PC exclusive?!? Are they mad? It would sell far better if released for amiga and if that wasn't powerful enough then i'm sure ZX Spectrum could handle it.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:28 am

Sektor wrote:PC exclusive?!? Are they mad? It would sell far better if released for amiga and if that wasn't powerful enough then i'm sure ZX Spectrum could handle it.
The Amiga gaming scene is effectively dead. Releasing a new game for the system is commercial suicide for a large company like Team 17.
Pooka wrote:Well where else am I supposed to discuss it? Maybe this site is bigger, but it's WAY more generalised... AND it hasn't been around as long, either! :cry:
Perhaps, Pooka, this is something best discussed either by email or in the Staff Forum. If you have a problem with this, best speak to Team 17's press office. We can't be held accountable for their decisions.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:48 am

Are they mad?
No, I am.

Sorry to say this, Pooka, but I was told by Martyn Brown, via e-mail, that you shouldn't be informed of the news until after the announcement as, and I quote, "he'd just get over-excited".

ALSO: I just got off the phone with the press-relations manager at Team17 and they've confirmed that I won't be allowed to run any more SuperFrog segments on this site as they want to get someone with star potential to play the role (for advertisement purposes). I suggested Brian Blessed but they said he was too old.
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Cyclaws
Former Staffmember

Post by Cyclaws » Sat Apr 01, 2006 11:58 am

Looking forward to this! Sorry you couldn't know about this beforehand, Pooka. :(
Webmaster of WormsTournaments: http://www.wormstournaments.co.uk
Creator of my blog: http://www.kevinstreetonline.com
Worms Corrispondent for Dream17: cyclaws@dream17.info

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:05 pm

I suggested Brian Blessed but they said he was too old.
Why not me, then?! If they're not going to tell me about it they should at least give me a voice acting role!

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:17 pm

Right, well it's gone 12pm which is when April Fools day traditionally ends. I think we can lay this one to rest now. Good show, everyone.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:25 pm

Personally, I hate the whole "no pranks after 12" rule and never abide with it. After all, it's called April Fools DAY not April Fools Half-a-day. The people who made up that rule were just stick-in-the-muds who were upset that they kept being tricked.

Also, a lot of young people don't get up till 12 or at least aren't in the proper frame of mind by that time to formulate any jokes. And it's not 12 in a lot of places in the world so stopping an internet prank at 12 in Britain means that a lot of Americans, etc will miss out on the fun.

So, yeah, I would have kept the thing going as the show aint over till the fat lady sings. Still, it's too late to do anything about it now.

Just be warned, I'm still up for April Fools Day hijinks until midnight tonight. Mwahahahahaha! :twisted:

NOTE: In case anyone's wondering, I wrote the press-release. All fudge should be paid to me!

Ash

Post by Ash » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:12 pm

If only you guys could have got Team 17 in on the act. That would have been leet and,no doubt, pissed a lot of people off. :)

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:33 pm

I like it! Predictable but original. I wanted to see the rest of the fight!