Trying WRF to work on XP >>HELP PLEASE<<

Team17 makes other games? I had no idea!

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Koshiro

Trying WRF to work on XP >>HELP PLEASE<<

Post by Koshiro » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:16 pm

Hello to everyone! :o

I don't know if it is a waste of time, but I've been trying to make World Rally Fever working on a P4 Dual Core with Windows XP. I failed. :?

Has anyone in this forum managed to make it work? I also tried DosBOX but maybe I didn't come across with the correct configuration... :cry:

I also tried to make it work on a PIII 450MHZ with W98 SE. In this case, I managed to play with de DEMO hosted in this site, but not the original game (Sold out edition). Perhaps the lack of sound makes the DEMO more stable. :roll:

Can you help me, please? (DosBOX, W98SE or Win XP solutions, please!) :(

THANK YOU A LOT!!!!! :)

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:55 am

I managed to get WRF working on my old Win98 machine (133Mhz processor and a 1GB Hard Drive - woo!) but, as with your experience playing the demo, there was no sound. Buggeration.

I'm afraid I don't know of any way to get WRF working in XP. Sorry about that.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Fri Dec 08, 2006 4:53 pm

I, too, have tried and failed.

Hypothetically, you could fit the demo onto a floppy disk which is also a boot disk, and boot from the disk and run the demo that way - I managed to get that working here:

http://pooka.ezri.mine.nu/zeug/downloads/demo-xp.zip

...but I doubt that works very well tbph.
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

Koshiro

Post by Koshiro » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:06 pm

In the machine with W98 I almost made it work. I saw the character selection screen, but when the race was going to start... it crashed! :shock:

I remember playing it on a Pentium 100 with W95 (restarting in MS-DOS mode and without sound, of course) years ago. My last chance would be to install Windows 95 on my current Pentium III... :roll:

(I can't understand why they programmed such a incompatible game!!!) :evil:

What a pity, I really enjoyed this game. The Demo is so short... :cry:

Can you please tell me your magical method with the Pentium 133? 8)
Thank you anyway, Squirminator2k!! :D

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:08 pm

Koshiro wrote:(I can't understand why they programmed such a incompatible game!!!) :evil:
To be fair, they programmed the game when DOS was still very much the dominant platform for gaming on PCs. This was pre-Direct X, you may recall.
Koshiro wrote:Can you please tell me your magical method with the Pentium 133? 8)
It involved making a Boot Disk from within Windows 98 (I forget where you do this, I know it's not possible from WinME onwards) and then using the DOS prompt to go to the WRF install folder (I had mine in C:\TEAM17\WRF) and running the program. The downside was that no audio drivers had been initialised - no sound. Arg. I had the same problem running Sensible World of Soccer PC and Mortal Kombat 3.

The method you used for the demo sounds like it should work for the full game...
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Fri Dec 08, 2006 9:16 pm

Works fine for me. How do you think I took these: http://dream17.abime.net/softography.php?id=30&s=screens

And the demo has no sound. That's why there's no "Sound" setting in the Options.

Edit:
Squirminator2k wrote:
Koshiro wrote:Can you please tell me your magical method with the Pentium 133? 8)
It involved making a Boot Disk from within Windows 98 (I forget where you do this, I know it's not possible from WinME onwards) and then using the DOS prompt to go to the WRF install folder (I had mine in C:\TEAM17\WRF) and running the program. The downside was that no audio drivers had been initialised - no sound. Arg. I had the same problem running Sensible World of Soccer PC and Mortal Kombat 3.

The method you used for the demo sounds like it should work for the full game...
You can make a boot disk in XP and such when Formatting a floppy disk, there's a "Boot disk" option.

If you need a boot disk from a different system: http://www.bootdisk.com/
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:51 am

The admin of this site has decided that keeping all the WRF-running goodness to myself would be something only a very selfish bastard would do, so he persuaded me (he totally didn't point a gun at my head, I swear!) into whipping this really sloppy guide (which means it looks really confusing even though it isn't) of everything you can try and check to get WRF running at its best in DOSBox (can also apply it to other DOS games)
Attachments
WRF.png
(125.57 KiB) Downloaded 70 times
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer