Importing W3D maps into Worms 4...

For Boggy B and his mates. If they existed, of course.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

jb.jones

Importing W3D maps into Worms 4...

Post by jb.jones » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:29 pm

I'm wondering if there is a way to play on the Worms 3D maps in the Worms 4 game, I think there would have to be a way.

Cheers,
Jeff

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:08 pm

I think K^2 was doing something like that at one point...?
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

jb.jones

Post by jb.jones » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:07 am

Great!

Its a shame that I haven't seen much of K2 since he left the Team17 forums, I used to enjoy his company and discussion.

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Thu Sep 22, 2005 12:57 pm

Zero72 wrote:I think K^2 was doing something like that at one point...?
As I recall, he was doing the opposite.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:53 am

I was doing the opposite because the W3D->W4 convertion seems to be trivial. I have not found anything in W3D maps that isn't supported by W4. So all you really have to do is re-name the W3D map file to replace one of the W4 map files.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

MtlAngelus
Settled in

Post by MtlAngelus » Fri Sep 30, 2005 7:16 pm

K^2 wrote:I was doing the opposite because the W3D->W4 convertion seems to be trivial. I have not found anything in W3D maps that isn't supported by W4. So all you really have to do is re-name the W3D map file to replace one of the W4 map files.
And it does work? O_O

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:34 pm

Don't know. I don't have W4. There is a slight possibility that W3D has entities that are no longer supported by W4, but there is a solution. Minus One removes all entities from the map for the conversion. Just change the extension of the W3D map into .xan and run Minus One on it. It will get rid of all entities, W3D or W4. All you will have left in the map are lattice containers which have the exact same format in W3D and W4. The resulting .xom map should have absolutly no conflicts with either game.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Devestator

Post by Devestator » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:22 pm

I tested W3 to W4. (renamed balloon to BuildingSiteSabateurs (sp?) Didn't work. I tried renaming it and running it through minus one. Minues One had an error and closed. I ran a actual worms 4 mission through it. didn't work. (My .xoms are messed up. It takes a way the .xom in the name and runs it with wordperfect as the default. I hope SOMEONE makes one. I wanna play my precious war theme in worms 4

EDIT: nvm, got minus 1 working. Only slight drawback when coverting W3 map. The resulting document is 0 kb. rofl :lol: Any ideas?

Tentacle

Post by Tentacle » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:14 pm

You might need a bit of extra engineering to get a W3D map working in W4M. You might want to consider comparing the way the directories are set out? Try dumping the folder full of textures into the W4 directory with the map. If you're feeling smart you could attempt to add it to the Deathmatch multiplayer maplist.

I bet that didn't help ya at all, but oh well! I sounded smart, at least :roll: .

By the way, hi. First post.

[EDIT] Oh deary me. Sorry, I don't pay attention to post dates.
Funky Dudes move over, the Funk Rejects are here!

Seriously. Take yer £2.50 disco glasses and hop it.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:26 am

This forum is a bit slow, so occasional necroposting is often unavoidable.

I really have no idea what prevents W3D maps from running on W4M. As I said, MinusOne should strip all entities. The only containers left afterwards should be lattices, which have the same format in W3D and W4M. It could indeed be the issue with textures. If that is so, it can be fixed by re-writing the .txt file that accompanies each .xom file. These files contain texture descriptors for each poxel type. What you need to do is replace the textures from W3D in that list with W4 textures, keeping the same format. It might be possible to add W3D textures to the W4M, but I do not know how to go about that. As for the map list, the theme for the map should be set to the one that has the textures specified in the .txt file. Since you can't change the theme, you need to make sure that theme of the .xan file you are replacing with W3D map is consistent with the theme you chose to use in the .txt file. To see what kind of textures exist in W4, open one of the .txt files associated with a .xan file.