Worms DC manual?

For Boggy B and his mates. If they existed, of course.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

BOYD1981

Worms DC manual?

Post by BOYD1981 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:30 pm

does anyone know either where i can obtain a downloadable copy of the manual or point me in the direction of some info on creating custom terrains? i used to it back in the day for the original worms on my A600 in dpaint3 and remember i was limited to 8 colours and files had to saved as .wrm and if i remember right i think the resolution was something like 960x240 (or something similar to the 960x400 of the PC version), but i'm after specific information for DC.
thanks.
-boyd

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:06 am

Hi Boyd.
I don't have the manual (d'oh!) but I can remember the specs. WormsDC levels can be dual-layer, but that's optional and requires the use of WormPrefs. Hopefully I can walk you through the process here.

Levels have to be 960x350, with 16 colours.
0 = Black/dark colour for transparency
1 = White, for text, wormeyes and the sheep
2 = Pink or pinkish, for worm colouring
3 = Landline colour
4 = Slightly lighter version of 3, for shading
5 = Crate colour
6 = Slightly lighter version of 5, for shading
7 through 15 = anything you like

You can create two maps. One for the foreground (the landscape, which will be walked upon and blown up by the worms) and one for the background (which is shown behind the landscape and has no affect on the terrain - this is optional). Once you have created your file (or files) save them in the same drawer. I usually call mine something like LEVEL-FRONT and LEVEL-BACK.

Boot up WormPrefs and select Custom Level (or something similar, it's been a while since I last used it). Fill in the fields as necessary, then click SAVE (or whichever it is). This will create a .WRM16 level in your TWCUSTOM folder. These levels, of course, only work within WormsDC. WormsDC can also load your old .WRM levels as well.

If you have any problems or need more help, just ask :)
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

BOYD1981

Post by BOYD1981 » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:17 pm

thanks for the help, i'll try make something later on today.
i was hoping i would be a little less limited colour wise seeing as the game is AGA (that and the DOS version can have 80 colours per custom level), but it's not really a problem as i'm not overly fantastic at art and it'll get me used to working with a limited palette again :P
also, while browsing through the old aminet archives i came across DIY (i think) files and the descriptions suggested that they were tilesets and objects for use with the randomly generated levels.
does wormprefs handle stuff like that too?
again, thanks for the help, i'll let you know how i get on.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:51 pm

BOYD1981 wrote:thanks for the help, i'll try make something later on today.
i was hoping i would be a little less limited colour wise seeing as the game is AGA (that and the DOS version can have 80 colours per custom level), but it's not really a problem as i'm not overly fantastic at art and it'll get me used to working with a limited palette again :P
It's only 300+ colours, and you'd be surprised how quickly those vanish. There's a separate pallette for the toolbar at the bottom, the mountains (you can create mountains too, incidentally), the sky gradient, and the healthbars at the top of the screen. it all adds up, unfortunately.
BOYD1981 wrote:also, while browsing through the old aminet archives i came across DIY (i think) files and the descriptions suggested that they were tilesets and objects for use with the randomly generated levels.
does wormprefs handle stuff like that too?
Yes, it is possible. On Disk 3 of WormsDc there's an .LhA archive containing some .IFF templates - one for custom (or DIY) landscape, and two for mountain sets. They're examples, but you can hollow out the contents of the template DIY landscape and change the pallette (keeping the requirements from above). You can then use WormPrefs to turn your image into a DIY landscape for use in the game. Which is nice. Just don't put holes in the Solid part of the landscape, as the level generator doesn't like them (you can put holes in pretty much everything else, though!).

If you do a quick AmiNEt search for "Squirminator" you can find a couple of landscapes I made - one made on Workbench 3.1, another based on an underwater seaworld which is essentially a recoloured version of FOREST.
BOYD1981 wrote:again, thanks for the help, i'll let you know how i get on.
Not a problem, glad to be of help.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.