A real compatibility fix for WWP (Vista, 7, 8.1, 10 and XP)

For Boggy B and his mates. If they existed, of course.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Alatriste

Re: A real compatibility fix for WWP (Vista, 7, 8.1, 10 and

Post by Alatriste » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:35 pm

StepS,

I have only registered in the forum to say thank you for this solution you posted.

I was going nuts trying to make WWP (for me, the best Worms game out there) to work on my computer.

Thanks again.
Alatriste

Tosnic

Post by Tosnic » Tue May 26, 2015 6:25 pm

Just wanted to report back that I got it working by installing a current video driver for my GPU (Radeon R7 280X).

ojakokko

Post by ojakokko » Fri Jun 26, 2015 4:15 pm

I installed the fix with HD resolution because my WWP battles didn't work. The menu worked fine, but as i started a battle, the screen gone just white and i didn't see what was going on. I could move the worms, fire and do everything else, but as i didn't see what i was doing it was quite impossible. the fix didn't fix my problems, and i didn't even get the HD resolution. Have i installed the fix properly (i just saved it on my WWP files) and i i have, why it won't work? and if i haven't how i should install it?

Specs of my computer:

Win 8.1 64-bit
Geforce GTX970
Core i5-4440
8GB RAM

Vin

Post by Vin » Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:32 pm

Hello,

I wrote a loooong post reporting a case in which the fix didn't work.
However, I found out that the problem was caused by the CD not being properly read sometimes.
I can't determine whether it's my portable DVD reader or the CD itself, but mounting an .iso solved everything.

It works!
Nicely done with the fix, by the way. The old ones are not working anymore.

ojakokko

Fix not working

Post by ojakokko » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:33 pm

ojakokko wrote:I installed the fix with HD resolution because my WWP battles didn't work. The menu worked fine, but as i started a battle, the screen gone just white and i didn't see what was going on. I could move the worms, fire and do everything else, but as i didn't see what i was doing it was quite impossible. the fix didn't fix my problems, and i didn't even get the HD resolution. Have i installed the fix properly (i just saved it on my WWP files) and i i have, why it won't work? and if i haven't how i should install it?

Specs of my computer:

Win 8.1 64-bit
Geforce GTX970
Core i5-4440
8GB RAM
This quote is my previous message, the only change is that i now copied the files from the fix folder and pasted them to the wwp file folder. still not working what should i do?

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:05 am

Hi ojakokko. There shouldn't be any white fields in either the menus or when you start the game, the module takes care of that. What's your edition of WWP? Do you have any shell extensions or window managers installed in the system?
There was previously an option called "AlternativeWhiteFieldsFix" which would hide whiteness in a hacky way, but it has been removed as it was no longer needed with the recent fixes.

fortunepaw

Post by fortunepaw » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:30 pm

I just registered to say thank you StepS for making this!

I was quite disappointed with the new WWP Remastered on steam. I looked around and found this wonderful fix and now I can play the good old worms again.

One question thou. When using the windowed mode, is there anyway to set the menu window position other than (0,0) ( upper left of the screen)? I have my taskbar on the left side of the screen and it overlaps with the game's window when I'm in menu.

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:03 am

fortunepaw wrote:One question thou. When using the windowed mode, is there anyway to set the menu window position other than (0,0) ( upper left of the screen)? I have my taskbar on the left side of the screen and it overlaps with the game's window when I'm in menu.
No, that's unfortunately not possible due to various bugs in the game, so it's stuck to the top left corner. if you were to move it, then the mouse cursor would be in a wrong position and invisible

ojakokko

Post by ojakokko » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:28 am

StepS wrote:Hi ojakokko. There shouldn't be any white fields in either the menus or when you start the game, the module takes care of that. What's your edition of WWP? Do you have any shell extensions or window managers installed in the system?
There was previously an option called "AlternativeWhiteFieldsFix" which would hide whiteness in a hacky way, but it has been removed as it was no longer needed with the recent fixes.
No, i don't have any shell extensions or window managers, and yes, the white fields are in the menu and stay there for a while when i start the game. They disappear after a while, and game starts, whole screen getting white. i can hear the sounds and control the worms, but cant see anything...

Bear

Post by Bear » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:27 am

First of all, let me congratulate you for the marvelous job that you and the other members have gone through to make this possible for the community. It certainly is great to be able to play this game that brought us so many joy in yesteryears.

That being said, unfortunately I'm in need of help. I installed this game on my notebook (Win 8.1, GeForce 660M), an older desktop (Win Vista, Radeon 6670) and a friend's desktop (Win 7, GeForce 960 GTX).

On my notebook it works perfectly, I run the exe and it'll go full screen immediately and have the Frontend centered and stretched. However, on both of the other systems I run the exe and the Frontend will be a small box at 0,0, I tried looking if ReSolution and wndmode had different settings from my notebook but they didn't (aside from the actual resolution ofc).

So.. is this normal or does Windows 8 work better with the fix than Vista and 7? Is there any way to get it working like on Wndows 8?

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:31 am

If the 640x480 resolution is not supported by your system, then the module will show a warning and automatically switch to the windowed mode.

Bear

Post by Bear » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:17 pm

Ohhh, that explains a lot! Thank you for clarifying on that matter. :D

I'd like to report my findings for future reference if someone tries to get the best possible outcome of this great game:

With my laptop I connected another display to see the differences. My laptop's display is 15.6" with a 16:9 ratio whereas the other display is a 19" with 16:10 ratio. Both had 640x480 resolution compatibility. When I ran the game I could clearly see that the Frontend was shown differently by the two displays, while on my laptop's 15.6" the Frontend would be centered but not stretch all the way to the sides, on my 19" it would be true fullscreen. I can't state as a fact, but I believe this to be due to the different aspect ratios, although 640x480 gives 4:3, a 16:10 display seems to handle it better than a 16:9. As I said, I can't state it as a fact, so please correct me if I'm wrong and bring the informations necessary! Here are the pics to illustrate what I'm saying:

15.6" Laptop Display with 16:9 Aspect Ratio

19" Display with 16:10 Aspect Ratio

The bottom line is: If you're unhappy of how the Frontend is displayed and have other Displays lying around, do test with them, as you might get better results!

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:48 pm

The default behavior of many graphics drivers starting with Windows 7 is to "preserve aspect ratio". It's your GPU's setting. If you have Ndivia, you need to open the control panel, and in the scaling options, set the scaling mode to what you need.
On some systems/drivers, key combos might work to change the scaling mode in-place. You can try using Ctrl+Alt+F11 too.

Team17 have released Worms World Party Remastered on 16 July 2015.

Bear

Post by Bear » Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:30 am

StepS,

You were right. I didn't understand the difference since I was using the same PC and theoretically the same GPU. It turns out that for my regular display it uses Intel's Integrated Graphics and when I connected the other Display with the VGA it used GeForce 660M, so there were in fact two different settings. I went into Intel's Control Panel and the issue was easily solved.

For future readers: Please disregard anything I have previously said as I am clearly a noob! lol

Skullboyz

Post by Skullboyz » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:22 pm

Working perfectly on Windows 8.1 without compatibility or admin privileges, using only the fix + HD solution package. Im playing on a AMD HD6670.

Thank you, you guys rules. :o

ucin3k

Post by ucin3k » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:23 am

Hello :) This fix works fine :D but only with english version :( I have windows 10 and i have orginal WWP but windows 10 not accept DRM so i'm using crack file to run wwp :( When i use polish crack i have this error:

Game is patched to polish sp1 but don't work :(
Can somebody do this patch resolution hd for this file?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4HR_a ... sp=sharing

because when i use english crack version works great but when i use this polish crack hd resolution don't work and show this error :(
(i only copy this crack when use english crack game is in english language when i copy and paste polish crack game is in polish language)

Polish members of WWP thanks very much :D

filozof85mr

Post by filozof85mr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:27 am

Hello! I'm new to this forum... I've been using this fix for a along time and it has been working fine until the other day... before I would enter the game and menu would be fullscreen along with the gameplay itself... but now the game still runs my 1080p resolution and that's fine, but my menu is small and stuck to the top left side... I've tried the window mode fronted thingy and it doesn't work, it stays the same whether its 1 or 0... also the alt + enter seems to work in game only... PLEASE HELP! I would like to have fullscreen menu back! Sidenote: I've done a gpu switch cuz my lil bros gpu was acting up so I've been testing it on my pc and with this new gpu it did the small window menu thingy and I was hoping it would change back when I placed my gpu but it hasn't... I tried everything I can think off :|