A real compatibility fix for WWP (Vista, 7, 8.1, 10 and XP)

For Boggy B and his mates. If they existed, of course.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

StepS
Settled in

A real compatibility fix for WWP (Vista, 7, 8.1, 10 and XP)

Post by StepS » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:12 am

Tried different fixes, but WWP crashes on start? Or other problems? No more! A solution is here. :)

Download: How to install: Extract all the files from the archive to your WWP folder and launch WWP.

Last update: 4 October 2014 18:35 GMT

This will work on any version of WWP, but I personally recommend to patch it to the latest (1.01).
The HD patch will only work on european 1.00 and 1.01! Make sure you have them installed!

This will fix the crash problems in WWP for real on all Windows systems, including Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Vista and XP.

Don't forget to remove all the other fixes (such as "color fixes") if you installed them before! They are not needed as the game runs in 32-bit colour depth now, eliminating the color issue.
The same applies to WWP.exe "compatibility" options in the file properties. It's best to disable them all.

The windowed mode feature will also enable a cool windowed mode. :)

Features:
  • Ability to enable windowed mode both during the match and in frontend menus. Open wndmode.ini and change "WindowedFrontend" and/or "WindowedInGame" from 0 to 1 to enable window. Frontend will be in the top left corner due to technical limitations; the in-game process will be in center of the screen.
  • When in windowed mode during the match, unpin the cursor from the game window by alt-tabbing or pressing Ctrl+G. You can then move the window border (enabled through the "Border" setting in the ini file). Pin it back by clicking inside the window (or using Ctrl+G again).
  • Minimize the game using Shift+Esc, Win+D, Win+M, or any other method you like. For fullscreen this only works when playing the match (to prevent crashes in frontend menus), in windowed mode the minimization always works perfectly.
  • Press Alt+F4 when playing a match and you will immediately return to the frontend menu just like in WA. If you also press Alt+F4 in the frontend menu, WWP will shutdown.
Still having problems? Troubleshooting FAQ!
Q: When I start WWP, a black window appears, and then the game crashes with "WWP has stopped working" error.
A: Please ensure that:
  • You have installed the fix correctly.
  • All of the "Compatibility" options, like "Limited colour mode" are disabled. The game will not start if you force a 8-bit (256 color) or 16-bit color mode through the Compatibility options.
  • No other fixes are interfering with the module.
Credits:
  • menopem for his awesome d3dhook library from D3DWindower, otherwise this all wouldn't be possible!
  • VEG for adapting d3dhook to make it independent with a settings file (wndmode).
  • Kawoosh for the original white-fields-fix solution and the WormKitDS loader.
  • StepS for further working and supporting the fix updates specifically for WWP after Kawoosh's solution.
  • CyberShadow for the WormKit loader concept.
Last edited by StepS on Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:29 pm, edited 13 times in total.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Re: [Moved] A real compatibility fix for WWP (XP, Vista, 7,

Post by worMatty » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:16 am

Cheers, ears.

StepS
Settled in

Re: A real compatibility fix for WWP (XP, Vista, 7, 8)

Post by StepS » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:44 pm

A small update (1.3.2.1) released.

This one will be especially useful to Windows 8.1 users who are using a DPI scaling other than 100% or 125% (on previous systems, the “Use Windows XP style scaling” setting would help). Due to the new Microsoft policy, non-dpi-aware apps are blurry now if you aren’t using 100% or 125%. In case of WWP this disrupted the interface (cutting the bottom right part of the screen), and was mentioned by a few users before.

Now the fix will make WWP dpi-aware so you will run the game normally just as if there were no dpi settings at all, without problems, and the FAQ entry about this problem will not be needed anymore.

CannedMan

Post by CannedMan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:39 am

Hello.

I tried your patch, running it on a clean install with the SP released by Team17 installed. It didn’t work, and your FAQ didn't address my issues. I get the following error messages (translated from Norwegian):
  • wwp.exe - Could not find starting point: ‘SetProcessDPIAware starting point for the procedure did not exist in the library for dynamic links, USER32.dll.’
  • WormKitDS Error: ‘Bad module wkWndMode.dll’
Naturally, with the former error, I shouldn’t expect it to work.

Launching the game is no problem, and the menus work fine (although it draws the names of the team members a bit slowly when opening up the menu for creating new teams). However, when launching the mission, the screen is black with a pinkish square where the cake is supposed to be (this works fine without the fix); and when the mission is launched, the screen is all black, as opposed to previously, when I saw the worms and other sprites, but not the map.

I’m running Windows XP Home Edition v. 2002 with SP3 on an Asus EEE PC (904HD).
(Yes, I know, but there really is no use in trying to install anything else but XP (if I am to run Windows) on such an old computer.)

Thank you for your time.
Virī virtūtis spem nōn dēdunt.

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:37 am

CannedMan wrote:I’m running Windows XP Home Edition
I'm sorry for the trouble, but I have accidentally brokеn XP compatibility in the Halloween update, because I improved Windows 8.1 compatibility. I wanted to fix it earlier but started making a feature update which I haven't finished yet. I'll get back to it soon.

Have the previous release for now, as it doesn't have any differences except the SetDPIAwareness with the latest one. http://myfiles.my1.ru/wwp/wwp_fix_wrapper_older.zip

Also, if you're really saying your computer is old, then I'm afraid this fix won't really fit you (even though the game will run). It is a DirectDraw wrapper, which emulates a very lot of things, and makes even the good CPUs go warm. This was the only way to resolve it globally. I personally have a few lags on my laptop during the game, however 95% of people don't report any lags, and I believe them.

StepS
Settled in

Re: A real compatibility fix for WWP (Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and X

Post by StepS » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:26 pm

A new update has been released, tagged 1.4.0.0.

Changes:
  • Restored the Windows XP compatibility (it was accidentally brokеn in the previous release)
  • Removed the two compatibility options: "UnhideT17WindowInGame" and "Force1024x768InGame", as the issues that would require their use have now been identified and resolved.
  • When playing in windowed mode, you can now unpin the cursor from the game window by either alt-tabbing (if the new "AutoUnpin" setting is enabled: default is enabled) or pressing Ctrl+G. This will allow you to move the window around if the Border is enabled. Pin it back by clicking inside the window (or using Ctrl+G again).
  • Added support for the window border, which did not work before. It can be enabled by setting the "Border" setting to 1 in the wndmode.ini file. The window border will only show up during the gameplay; there's no border in the menu screens.
  • Added base for the future high-resolution hacks. This version will already support the high-resolution hacks (such as HD menu screens and HD gameplay) when they are released. This may happen in the near future.
  • Now, if the 640x480 (or the required) frontend resolution is not supported by your system, GPU or monitor, the module will throw a warning, describing the error, and will switch you to the windowed mode. If such an error happens when starting the gameplay, no warning will be shown.
  • Improved the behavior of the mouse cursor and window positions in-game. The in-game space will now always be consistent with the graphical representation of the gameplay. This fixes various issues that were present in windowed gameplay (one of them previously required "UnhideT17WindowInGame" to be resolved).
  • When running frontend in windowed mode, bringing the window to the foreground through a taskbar click will now work properly.
  • When AlternativeWhiteFieldsFix is enabled, if the colour depth of your system is lower than 32-bit, it will now be set to 32-bit for this mode to work.
  • Now an error will be thrown if the wndmode.dll file, required by the module, was not found in the WWP directory.
  • Various other fixes: reworked most of the code, preventing potential issues that were possible before.

Kuki_86

Post by Kuki_86 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 am

Hi,

I have a small problem with wwp. Almost everythink works just fine. I see menus, I can start a game. game is displayed fine but after a game when finish match and its time to go back to menu my wwp offen crashes (stop working). Cany you fix it?

Best Regards.

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm

Kuki_86 wrote:Hi,

I have a small problem with wwp. Almost everythink works just fine. I see menus, I can start a game. game is displayed fine but after a game when finish match and its time to go back to menu my wwp offen crashes (stop working). Cany you fix it?

Best Regards.
Which version and edition of the game are you using? Is the windowed mode disabled or enabled?

Kuki_86

Post by Kuki_86 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:24 pm

Hi,

I am using version 1.0 without WormnetPatch. How to check windowed mode?

Best regards.

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:37 pm

Kuki_86 wrote:Hi,

I am using version 1.0 without WormnetPatch. How to check windowed mode?

Best regards.
I haven't tested the fix in unpatched version 1.0... so I strongly suggest you to update. (will test later what happens in 1.0). Don't forget that the 1.01 patch was not only made to solve the WormNET connection but also allow mission editing and various other features and fixes superior to 1.0.
Windowed mode can be enabled by switching "WindowedFrontend" and/or "WindowedInGame" in wndmode.ini to 1, depending on where you need the windowed mode (frontend = menu screens, ingame = gameplay process). Enabling both will always let there be a window.

Kuki_86

Post by Kuki_86 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:33 pm

To be more specyfic my wwp installation was with SP1 (WormNet patch) but on that version I was unable to play online with other people on GameRanger because they had version without it. So I downloaded exe file "Worms: World Party v1.00 [ENGLISH] WormNet Patch" form this page and now I can play but with this small little problem.
Last edited by SupSuper on Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no cracks please

Kuki_86

Post by Kuki_86 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:44 pm

Any luck in testing?

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:00 pm

Everything works fine for me. Have you tried the windowed mode as I suggested? Is your installation safe, which CD did you install the game from?
Also please don't link to sites that spread illegal content. This is not tolerated here.
And you should really play Worms Armageddon, which has thousands of players and still gets official updates and works just fine on native screen resolutions with lots of fixes and new features. There's no reason in WWP anymore.

tuix

Post by tuix » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:29 am

Dude you are the man. I just signed up to say thank you. It works like a charm and I'm back to my childhood again :roll:

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:05 pm

New version posted. It has a number of 1.5.7.0.
  • Now including a variant of the package with the new ReSolution module. ReSolution allows to set any screen resolution for the gameplay, and also allows to resize and zoom the game while in windowed mode. More details on the module's page.
  • Some improvements: the wkWndMode companion is now the same for WA/W2/WWP, and not separate as before. Also, resolution switches are now handled better.
  • Removed "AlternativeWhiteFieldsFix", it's useless now.

Tosnic

Re: A real compatibility fix for WWP (Vista, 7, 8.1, 10 and

Post by Tosnic » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:07 pm

Hi.
Helluva patch you got there. I thought WWP would never work on OS > XP

But it does not work for me quite well.
Basically the game runs, but I can only see the the upper left quarter of the game, like this:
The main menu shows up in the small window as well, but as soon as I enter e.g. the options menu, the content does not fit into the small window and is therefore cropped. Hence I cannot start the game.

I tried to fix this by enabling the windowed mode, but no window frame appears whatsoever. It just looks the same no matter what the wndmode.ini (windowed mode = 1/0) is set to.
I also installed the patch 1.1 from wormsworldparty.team17.com, alas to no avail.

I have to note that I use dual monitors: Windows desktop is displayed on 2 displays. This seems to cause the game to be cropped. If I disable one monitor in Windows 7, the game displays as small as before, but with no cropping. When I enter the game, it displays fullscreen, no matter what I set in the wndmode.ini.

So, I can play the game again thanks to your patch. But not as nice as I would like.

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:39 pm

Tosnic wrote:Basically the game runs, but I can only see the the upper left quarter of the game, like this

I have to note that I use dual monitors: Windows desktop is displayed on 2 displays. This seems to cause the game to be cropped.
Unable to reproduce this, in either combinations of primary left/right 1/2 numbered monitors. Can you provide more information about your setup?
Tosnic wrote:no window frame appears whatsoever
Window border appears only during the gameplay process if the size of the window is smaller than width or height of your monitor's resolution. Menu screens are forced to the top-left (fixing this would require rewriting a lot of things responsible for relative coordinate rendering).
Tosnic wrote:When I enter the game, it displays fullscreen, no matter what I set in the wndmode.ini.
Incorrect. In windowed mode, the game displays in "windowed borderless mode" covering the whole size of your monitor, defaulting to your monitor size via the ReSolution.ini settings file. Using Alt+Enter this can be toggled directly during the game, without having to lower down the resolution in settings and restart it. Mouse wheel will zoom the game, and dragging the sizing border will resize it.

Tosnic

Post by Tosnic » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:43 pm

StepS wrote:
Tosnic wrote:Basically the game runs, but I can only see the the upper left quarter of the game. I have to note that I use dual monitors: Windows desktop is displayed on 2 displays. This seems to cause the game to be cropped.
Unable to reproduce this, in either combinations of primary left/right 1/2 numbered monitors. Can you provide more information about your setup?
Thank you for helping me out!
My left Monitor is plugged in as number 2, but it is set as main monitor. Thus WWP shows on the left monitor. Maybe I should swap the video cables?
I don't know what kind of info would be interesting for you. Maybe my video card: "Asus R7 260X direct CU"
My screens are both set to their maximum resolution: 1280x1024 with 32bit colors
Windows 7 is the latest version
I set Windows to display texts larger (125%)
StepS wrote:
Tosnic wrote:no window frame appears whatsoever
Window border appears only during the gameplay process if the size of the window is smaller than width or height of your monitor's resolution. Menu screens are forced to the top-left (fixing this would require rewriting a lot of things responsible for relative coordinate rendering).
I thought the frontend was also possible in windowed mode, since the wndmode.ini has the setting "WindowedFrontend=1"
StepS wrote:
Tosnic wrote:When I enter the game, it displays fullscreen, no matter what I set in the wndmode.ini.
Incorrect. In windowed mode, the game displays in "windowed borderless mode" covering the whole size of your monitor, defaulting to your monitor size via the ReSolution.ini settings file. Using Alt+Enter this can be toggled directly during the game, without having to lower down the resolution in settings and restart it. Mouse wheel will zoom the game, and dragging the sizing border will resize it.
OK, you win. I just tried it and entered the game instead of trying only the menus.

The problem seems to be caused only by using 2 monitors.

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:11 pm

Well, I tried what you said: two monitors with 1280x1024, 2nd monitor as primary on the left, and 125% DPI scaling, in a Win7 virtual machine. Still couldn't reproduce your bug, with either 1.00 or 1.01. But if I find something, I'll let you know. I think there's something that forces the child window to the center when it happens, thus shifting interface.
Tosnic wrote:I thought the frontend was also possible in windowed mode, since the wndmode.ini has the setting "WindowedFrontend=1"
It actually is windowed mode. It just has no borders, but it's still a window. In fact, many things in a Windows system are windows, even buttons and input forms are "windows". Not each of them has a draggable border however.

Tosnic

Post by Tosnic » Tue Oct 28, 2014 4:05 pm

I just realized another probably strange setting in my computer:

I use the German edition of the game. But I guess that there is only one Disc version for all Europe that contains German as well. Anyways, I installed the game in German.