Worms Clan Wars

For Boggy B and his mates. If they existed, of course.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

KRD

Worms Clan Wars

Post by KRD » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:41 pm

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 3607568476

http://www.rezzed.com/whats-on/show-floor

Looks like this is what that beta will be for. Anyone signed up for that?

_Kilburn
Settled in

Re: Worms Clan Wars

Post by _Kilburn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:15 pm

Signed up, just for the hell of it. The name is really dumb, although they said it's a PC exclusive so I really wonder what they've got in mind this time.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:42 pm

It looks interesting! Can't wait to see what's new this time around.

Also they seem to be showing off Superfrog HD at Rezzed.

_Kilburn
Settled in

Post by _Kilburn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Haha, interesting, good one! 8-) It's a logo with a plain font, an unoriginal name, some bloom and a picture of a globe.

I'll wait until they post actual pictures of it before deciding whether it is interesting or not. :P

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:55 pm

_Kilburn wrote:Haha, interesting, good one! 8-) It's a logo with a plain font, an unoriginal name, some bloom and a picture of a globe.

I'll wait until they post actual pictures of it before deciding whether it is interesting or not. :P
Well, the logo could change, the Worms Revolution logo changed from when it was originally announced, though it's still pretty much the same :p.

I wonder if the Worm Classes are still in this one or not.

_Kilburn
Settled in

Post by _Kilburn » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:08 pm

Meh, the old logo was way better. I'm still not buying their "it wasn't readable enough" excuse.

If the worm classes are still in there, I hope they are going to change the way they work. I feel like classes had way too little impact on the gameplay.

LeTotalKiller

Post by LeTotalKiller » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:19 pm

Signed up too, so if it's that mediocre, at least I'd have seen it by myself for free. (If I'm accepted, that is.)

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:17 pm

If you're signing up to betas just to get an early free look at the game, I don't think you're doing it right. Team17 betas are always exceptionally buggy (as you'd expect from a beta) and you're never gonna get an accurate assessment out of them.

I'm kinda curious what this game is all about because I've never seen them be this coy about revealing details about a Worms game. :P
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:00 am

I think it might be a spin-off, designed by Andy Davidson, but I'm basing this on absolutely nothing (other than the fact that Andy was meant to be working on other ideas with T17 and I imagine that whatever ideas he came up with, they'd slap the Worms brand on regardless)
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Muzer

Post by Muzer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:54 am

SupSuper wrote:Team17 betas are always exceptionally buggy
So just like the final products, then?
With thanks to XxDangerxX and Aku 13 for the Av!

_Kilburn
Settled in

Post by _Kilburn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:40 am

SupSuper wrote:If you're signing up to betas just to get an early free look at the game, I don't think you're doing it right. Team17 betas are always exceptionally buggy (as you'd expect from a beta) and you're never gonna get an accurate assessment out of them.

I'm kinda curious what this game is all about because I've never seen them be this coy about revealing details about a Worms game. :P
In all three betas I applied to, the release was almost identical to the beta except with an added boring campaign and oh so exciting customization options. :P
A spinoff would be amazing but I'm not going to expect too much from them.

Thurbo

Post by Thurbo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:34 pm

Yeah I'm in, signed up 2 weeks ago when the game had that weird code name "TBC". Got hyped over "PC-exclusive" and "Andy Davidson". A strong emphasis on the PCs community features would sure be nice.

inb4 Steam Workshop

_Kilburn
Settled in

Post by _Kilburn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:11 pm

It's Worms Revolution 2.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/06 ... clan-wars/

Bits of interest:
Then there are the fluid physics, introduced in Revolution but much improved here.
Flying monkeys can pick up physics objects, which are scattered around the maps, dropping them elsewhere.
while the aqua jet seems destined to become a favourite. It’s a jetpack that spews gouts of water whenever the boost is activated, drenching and confusing everyone below.
My team mate was a smart player, the sort who can traverse an entire map using a ninja rope and a teleport gun
The class system from Revolution returns but, like everything else, it has been tweaked. There are four types of worm, each easily spotted thanks to exaggerated proportions. There are a great deal of customisation options, some unlocked by playing through the single player campaign, but classes on every team share the same physique. Scientists are the bulbous-brained healers. Heavies are large but slow, the Brock Lesnars of the annelid world. Then there are the skinny scouts, potentially the most dangerous in the hands of an experienced player. They have increased mobility and the tunnels that they dig are longer and narrower – no other class can squeeze down them, so a team of scouts can hide deep in the earth. The basic soldier class can detonate any timed device, including banana bombs and grenades, at will, even if the fuse hasn’t burnt down.
The clan system does provide the possibility for dedicated competitive play though, with league play, timed seasons, promotions for teams and individual members, and all sorts of clever matchmaking.
The creator of a clan becomes the leader, creating a logo and name, and choosing whether membership will be open to all, or only to friends or those invited. A level one clan can have up to eight members, although only two can fight together at any one time, while a top level clan can have 120 members. Every time a clan member fights, their result feeds back into the system and at the end of the season, movement between divisions is decided. As well as setting basic rules, clan leaders can bestow officer rank on other members, giving them the same rights, including the ability to send out newsletters and calls to arms.
There’s a singleplayer mode as well, set in a museum from whence the landscape themes are drawn, from the prehistoric to the industrial. The levels are a mixture of platform-puzzles and more traditional deathmatches, and they utilise complex Little Big Planet-esque physics contraptions, which can also be added to custom levels in multiplayer. The story is as silly and British as expected, with a Lara Croft spoofing voiceover provided by Katherine Parkinson of the IT Crowd and them there Maltesers adverts.
Clan system looks extremely gimmicky. But the Soldier buff, oh my, that's so broken. :o
I can also see pulleys and rope physics, as well as a day/night cycle according to the HUD. This is certainly going to be interesting.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:09 pm

This is pretty interesting. Clans are kind of meh... but I think I may still get this game.

I don't know.

MtlAngelus
Settled in

Post by MtlAngelus » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Blegh, another 2.5D game. Pass.

_Kilburn
Settled in

Post by _Kilburn » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:41 pm

MtlAngelus wrote:Blegh, another 2.5D game. Pass.
If it was 2D, it would be Worms Reloaded 2: Armageddon: Ultimate Edition anyway. I can't imagine them making a new polished 2D game with a decent art style any soon.

Thurbo

Post by Thurbo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:02 pm

Too bad your brain ain't capable of computing 3D environments. Shooters aren't exactly your thing I assume?

_Kilburn wrote:Clan system looks extremely gimmicky. But the Soldier buff, oh my, that's so BORK'D. :o
I can also see pulleys and rope physics, as well as a day/night cycle according to the HUD. This is certainly going to be interesting.
On top of that, Steam Workshop confirmed! This can only be good.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:16 pm

Muzer wrote:
SupSuper wrote:Team17 betas are always exceptionally buggy
So just like the final products, then?
I saw this coming a mile away. :P Really though you've seen nothing, once you've been through a beta, everything is puppies and rainbows by comparison.
_Kilburn wrote:Clan system looks extremely gimmicky. But the Soldier buff, oh my, that's so BORK'D. :o
It might be gimmicky but it's probably one of the most requested features by the "community". I even remember a guy that went around the forums every new game asking for a clan feature. :P
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Muzer

Post by Muzer » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:45 pm

Thurbo wrote:
Too bad your brain ain't capable of computing 3D environments. Shooters aren't exactly your thing I assume?
...what does your brain being able to compute a 3D environment have anything to do with it? Please, tell, as I was under the impression that 2.5D games had 2D gameplay with 3D graphics.

OTOH, your computer not being capable of computing 3D environments - at least, the horrifically bloated and overly complex 3D environments of Worms Revolution - IS a problem.
With thanks to XxDangerxX and Aku 13 for the Av!

Thurbo

Post by Thurbo » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:51 pm

Muzer wrote:...what does your brain being able to compute a 3D environment have anything to do with it? Please, tell, as I was under the impression that 2.5D games had 2D gameplay with 3D graphics.
I'm not interested in talking to you about that at all. It was him saying he had difficulties seeing what's going on on-screen with the game having 3D graphics a while ago.
Muzer wrote:OTOH, your computer not being capable of computing 3D environments - at least, the horrifically bloated and overly complex 3D environments of Worms Revolution - IS a problem.
Totally, that's what people with crap systems say when they want to play Crysis 3. Revolution runs fine on relatively old systems but has some issues with certain graphics cards causing graphics bugs IIRC.