Worms Clan Wars

For Boggy B and his mates. If they existed, of course.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Thurbo

Post by Thurbo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:03 pm

Worms™ Clan Wars will feature 5 dynamic environments. These landscapes are now 30% larger and feature new day to night light cycles.
That's the confirmation, also 30% larger landscapes, not sure if that's a good thing but at least it sounds like one :p I'd like to see complexity settings for the landscape generator to get a higher variation of landscape "types", but if that's not happening I hope custom landscapes will be available on the workshop and downloading them easy as pie.

_Kilburn
Settled in

Re: Worms Clan Wars

Post by _Kilburn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:05 pm

oh
The rope was changed as the game physics are all now much more realistic. The team worked really hard alongside the beta testers during Worms Revolution to ensure the rope went down well. That being said, there are still people who prefer the old style rope and as such we've added a new utility into the game for those people
OH

Thurbo

Post by Thurbo » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:19 pm

_Kilburn wrote:oh
The rope was changed as the game physics are all now much more realistic. The team worked really hard alongside the beta testers during Worms Revolution to ensure the rope went down well. That being said, there are still people who prefer the old style rope and as such we've added a new utility into the game for those people
OH
So? There is no way it'll feel the exact same way as in Armageddon, and thus people will still complain. I don't see why they bothered with that.

"Much more realistic physics" is music to my ears though
Last edited by Thurbo on Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:42 pm

I'm not sure "realistic physics" is how I'd qualify the Worms rope, old or new. :P
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:03 am

According to this article - http://www.n3rdabl3.co.uk/2013/06/worms ... 3rdabl3%29 - the game will "be faster" and "include the most weapons that any Worms game has ever included". If it manages to deliver on these promises, it would be nice, as I've always been a fan of as large a variety of weapons as possible (I don't think any of the games after Armageddon/WWP have come close to the arsenal of those games, though I could be wrong). Also, Revolution did feel a little slow so speeding it up couldn't hurt.
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:21 am

Woo! This Worms game really looks promising! Glad to hear they're working on adding a ton of weapons!

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:36 am

There are various features available for you to customise your clan such as creating an emblem and organising your team’s leaders and sub-leaders. All of this can be done for the first time ever using Team 17′s dedicated WormNET, the game’s own lobby and chat system where each clan has their own chat channel along side a number of other channels available for general chat and recruiting new clan members. Team 17 hope to also hold various different league matches for different clans to compete in, in order to win trophies and medals and become the best Worms clan that has ever exsisted. Whether you plan to be a hardcore Worms clan or a casual one, there will be something to cater everyone!

Oh dear I think I know how this story ends. :roll:

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:38 am

Worm Mad wrote:Also, Revolution did feel a little slow so speeding it up couldn't hurt.
Every Worms game I've played from Worms3D onwards felt slow! Lots of synchronising and not much playing. Worms Forts games were painfully long (I've only played against the computer in that one, so I imagine online was worse).
x_+

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:41 am

Revolution did feel agonizingly sluggish at times, yeah, so speeding things up is a good step. Revolution's singleplayer might literally be the least fun video game I've ever tried to enjoy. It was like the game was just reaching right out of the computer and actually injecting weaponized pure liquid boredom into my brain. I just about had an honest to god existential crisis.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:29 am

I don't want realistic physics in my bloody Worms game. I just want internally consistent physics, and that's more or less what we got from the first and second generation 2D titles.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

_Kilburn
Settled in

Post by _Kilburn » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:20 am

As well as the usual death and destruction there’s also brand new traps and mech-suit wearing enemies.
mech-suit wearing enemies.
Ok, I'm sold.

It looks like they are putting more effort into the singleplayer campaign as well now, I wonder if we're really going to have decent missions this time.
He also explained to me a new feature that they’re adding into Clan Wars and that’s full Steam Workshop integration. This allows those of you who have a creative flair to create things and use them within your games such as clothes, hats and accessories for your Worms, if you’re proud of your creations you can share them online for others to use!
This is quite unexpected as well. I've always wanted to make hats based on our popular sigworms, that'd be some good modelling practice. I just hope it's not going to be ruined by... inappropriate things. :P I wonder if they considered that, and whether they will have some control on what's being submitted there or not.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:20 pm

Squirminator2k wrote:I don't want realistic physics in my bloody Worms game. I just want internally consistent physics, and that's more or less what we got from the first and second generation 2D titles.
One of my Comp Sci teachers scolds anyone for using the word "realistic" in their work, as it's one of the most misused buzzwords in the game industry, and 99% of the time what you should actually be striving for is being "believable".

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:38 pm

_Kilburn wrote:This is quite unexpected as well. I've always wanted to make hats based on our popular sigworms, that'd be some good modelling practice. I just hope it's not going to be ruined by... inappropriate things. :P I wonder if they considered that, and whether they will have some control on what's being submitted there or not.
From my Steam Workshop experience, it shouldn't be a major problem. Even though it's mostly community-run, the developer always has the final word on what goes on there (after all, the content has to actually work), and Valve has a strict nope.avi policy against "inappropriate content". There will still be a lot of crappy stuff, but hopefully the community will make the good stand out from the bad. :P

I wonder how the content creation will work, since making custom 3D stuff is far from the days of just drawing some crappy BMP grave.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:16 pm

They've sold this game for me. Having Steam Workshop will be very nice, and hopefully it won't be like with Team Fortress 2's steam workshop where you can't download anything and you just gotta keep tabs on it to see if Valve adds it or not.

Oh, and Sigworms can actually happen in the games now too! That's awesome!

Also, Dream17 Clan anyone?

Thurbo

Post by Thurbo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:11 pm

Star and Moon wrote:They've sold this game for me. Having Steam Workshop will be very nice, and hopefully it won't be like with Team Fortress 2's steam workshop where you can't download anything and you just gotta keep tabs on it to see if Valve adds it or not.
I believe only maps will be able to be put up for a straight download. However most artists on TF2's workshop provide external downloads so you can see their work go live within the game if you wish. You will also find there are not only weapon designs and customization items uploaded to the workshop but also extraordinary stuff such as 3D models of official non-player characters, applicable as physics props on any map. Which is basically some form of modification.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:38 pm

Worms Clan Wars is bringing out the big guns (literally), with 65 unique weapons and utilities in all, and 10 outrageous new items to add to your arsenal like Winged Monkeys, Whoopsie Cushions, and a Teleport Raygun.
- from here - http://www.gamezebo.com/games/worms-clan-wars/preview

65, eh? Is that more than Armageddon? It sounds like a similar amount (I seem to remember Armageddon having about 60).

And yeah, the 1-player mode in Revolution is dull. I haven't made it that far in it. Of course, it didn't help that I had graphics issues with the game before I got a new computer but even without them, I can't really be bothered. I had more fun with Reloaded's 1-player mode and all the missions in that were just generic deathmatches (iirc)
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Thurbo

Post by Thurbo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:43 pm

There are 63 weapons and tools in Armageddon and 53 in Revolution - minus skip go and surrender, so I believe it's going to be 63 in Clan Wars as well as they usually count those "tools" to the overall number.

I'm all for a debate to finally decide whether those actually count.

_Kilburn
Settled in

Post by _Kilburn » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:05 pm

This is starting to be too good to be true. Better physics, faster gameplay, a whole separate rope just for WA ropers, a better singleplayer campaign, Steam Workshop integration and exactly as many weapons as in Worms Armageddon, it's everything we've ever asked for. What could possibly go wrong?

The last time I've been this hyped was when they announced a new game which would be a mix of Worms 4 Mayhem and Worms 3D with better graphics.

...yeah

Thurbo

Post by Thurbo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:35 pm

_Kilburn wrote:a whole separate rope just for WA ropers
u srs they said the same thing about the rope in Reloaded when they tweaked it in the 2012 update. W:A players specifically will never be satisfied with the rope as long as it's not the exact same rope from W:A. That said, imagine the rope is going to be like the rope in Worms Reloaded, and you know how much hate is on that, quite undeservedly too.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Thu Jun 27, 2013 5:57 pm

There is no DLC planned for the game, but players will have access to the full mission creator toolkit soon after launch.
from this article - http://www.hookedgamers.com/pc/worms_cl ... -1150.html

A mission editor sounds good. I loved the mission creator for WWP. Also, no DLC is probably for the best. People only ever complain about that.