What happen to the Worms series?!

For Boggy B and his mates. If they existed, of course.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Shawnturner
Recipient of a Stern Talking To

What happen to the Worms series?!

Post by Shawnturner » Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:40 am

Hello,

Since the late 90's and early 20th century, there is no other games like this: It's about Worms battling each other in crazy scenarios with crazy weapons and is accessible to everybody. My favourites is simple really: Worms 2, Worms World Party and Worms Battle Islands on the Wii. Oh also Worms A Space Oddity is also my favourite. Please, be polite in your comments.
Did anything happen to it besides it getting sequels throughout the decade?

I didn't find the right solution from the internet.

Zeor
Senior

Re: What happen to the Worms series?!

Post by Zeor » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:02 am

Well, we've seen it make some attempts to evolve over the years, most notably when it went to 3D, but then it always seems like going back to formula ends up being a better move. Revolution and Clan Wars added classes and such, but it still seemed kind of like unnecessary complication to me, and also the 3D models had kind of loose hitboxes. They weren't bad at all, but... honestly I feel like Armageddon was the perfect storm, where the amount of content and mechanics was excessive by just the right amount, and the aesthetic still had a simple charm that wasn't trying too hard or overdesigned. World Party was good too, in an Armageddon v1.3 kind of way.

Supposedly the most recent one, Worms WMD, made some kind of interesting innovations re: vehicles and such, and went back to a 2D art style which is... something they did, but I haven't tried it yet myself.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!