The Top 20 Cartoon Series of All Time

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

M3ntal

Post by M3ntal » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:42 am

Alex wrote:There is a company that releases films, yes. But he said "There's very little manga on terrestrial TV" - Obviously he didn't mean the company, you don't say "There's very little Fox on terrestrial TV" or whatever. I took what he said in context. :P
He meant the films, Alex. How likely is it that he was talking about the comics not being displayed much on terrestrial TV?

P.S, there are are fair few Fox programmes on terrestrial TV. The O.C, 24, and Malcolm In The Middle for example.
Ben Paddon is a Horse.

Alex
Settled in

Post by Alex » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:53 am

M3ntal wrote:
Alex wrote:There is a company that releases films, yes. But he said "There's very little manga on terrestrial TV" - Obviously he didn't mean the company, you don't say "There's very little Fox on terrestrial TV" or whatever. I took what he said in context. :P
He meant the films, Alex. How likely is it that he was talking about the comics not being displayed much on terrestrial TV?

P.S, there are are fair few Fox programmes on terrestrial TV. The O.C, 24, and Malcolm In The Middle for example.
No. He meant anime, he just wrote manga instead of anime.

He has even said "Okay, enough about the whole manga/anime thing. I did know the difference, I just forgot about it when I was writing that message, that's all"

And I was saying the Fox example for grammatical sense. You say "There are not many Fox TV shows on TV", not "There is not much Fox on TV". The latter just doesn't make sense.

He just made a mistake. He meant anime, but accidently said manga. He didn't mean manga films. For a start, Card Captors is not a film. Second of all, this whole thread is about Cartoon Series, not films.

^^ CURSE YOU PHPBB!

FW
Former Staffmember

Post by FW » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:32 am

Worm Mad wrote:
10. Dexter's Lab
I was hoping for this cartoon to be lower on the list. A classic, mostly liked by all cartoon. I'm still hoping TMNT and Freakazoid make the list, though ;)

M3ntal

Post by M3ntal » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:55 pm

Alex wrote:No. He meant anime, he just wrote manga instead of anime.

He has even said "Okay, enough about the whole manga/anime thing. I did know the difference, I just forgot about it when I was writing that message, that's all"

And I was saying the Fox example for grammatical sense. You say "There are not many Fox TV shows on TV", not "There is not much Fox on TV". The latter just doesn't make sense.

He just made a mistake. He meant anime, but accidently said manga. He didn't mean manga films. For a start, Card Captors is not a film. Second of all, this whole thread is about Cartoon Series, not films.
Right, that's it, i'm leaving you. I'm taking the house and kids with me. :D
Ben Paddon is a Horse.

Alex
Settled in

Post by Alex » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:26 pm

M3ntal wrote:
Alex wrote:No. He meant anime, he just wrote manga instead of anime.

Right, that's it, i'm leaving you. I'm taking the house and kids with me. :D

Hahahaha. Keep 'em ;)

^^ CURSE YOU PHPBB!

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:08 pm

Well, I can see I won't be getting invited round anytime soon. :wink:

Anyway, on with the final 5!

5. Family Guy - "It seems today, that all you see is violence in movies and sex on TV..." I initially thought of Family Guy as a cheap rip-off of the Simpsons but after watching a few episodes, you begin to realise that while some elements are similar, there's enough of a difference to make this a distinctive show in its own right. Great laugh-out-loud comedy and generally just a very good show. Also, I like the dog (Brian) best of the characters. [TRIVIA: Cancelled then brought back, due to high DVD sales]

4. Dogtanian - Speaking on talking dogs, here's a whole bunch of them. One of my favourite cartoon series of all time, I recently brought the whole series on DVD. It's a brilliant re-imagining of the Three Musketeers and I actually prefer this to both the original book and the live-action movies (yes, I know, sacrileage). Dogtanian is packed full of comedy, a brilliant themetune (it won the best cartoon themetune in a recent poll) and great animation. Also, the series consists of one continuos storyline rather than the usual idiot-friendly one-off storys that constitute most cartoons. Another thing that puts it high on my list is that unlike most cartoons made for a family audience, Dogtanian isn't a series afraid of real violence. There are swordfights, characters getting shot, killed and such like. All in all, a great series and definately one of the top 5 cartoon series of all time. [TRIVIA: Made by the same company as Around the World with Willy Fog, but infinitely better.]

3. Pokemon - "Gotta Catch em' all", the series that introduced me to traditional anime, is also my favourite anime series of all time. I actually saw this, before I really had the game and I found it to be one of the best cartoons I'd ever seen. Funny, imaginative and smarter than it's usually given credit for, Pokemon is a brilliant series of a brilliant game. Unfortunately, its reputation was tarnished by the shoddy merchandise which circulated around it, the whining idiotic child fans of the show and the later episodes which lack the originality shown in early episodes (it went dowhill after Ash lost in the Pokemon League, really). I can't really put into words why this show is so good. I guess it's just something you get or you don't. And I certainly get it. [TRIVIA: I made a number of Pokemon fangames, around the time when the series was popular. Two of these games are based on the series and the first has the cast voiced fully by yours truly]

2. Simpsons - What can be said that hasn't been said before? The Simpsons is an awesome show with thousands of lines that you'll find yourself quoting in day-to-day conversations. Unfortunately, its becoming less and less funny and really deserves to be sent off with a good finale episode. Sadly, it'll probably keep on running until the series becomes unprofitable.

What's Number One? Find out TOMMOROW!!!
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:55 pm

Worm Mad wrote:Well, I can see I won't be getting invited round anytime soon. :wink:

Anyway, on with the final 5!

5. Family Guy - "It seems today, that all you see is violence in movies and sex on TV..." I initially thought of Family Guy as a cheap rip-off of the Simpsons but after watching a few episodes, you begin to realise that while some elements are similar, there's enough of a difference to make this a distinctive show in its own right. Great laugh-out-loud comedy and generally just a very good show. Also, I like the dog (Brian) best of the characters. [TRIVIA: Cancelled then brought back, due to high DVD sales]

4. Dogtanian - Speaking on talking dogs, here's a whole bunch of them. One of my favourite cartoon series of all time, I recently brought the whole series on DVD. It's a brilliant re-imagining of the Three Musketeers and I actually prefer this to both the original book and the live-action movies (yes, I know, sacrileage). Dogtanian is packed full of comedy, a brilliant themetune (it won the best cartoon themetune in a recent poll) and great animation. Also, the series consists of one continuos storyline rather than the usual idiot-friendly one-off storys that constitute most cartoons. Another thing that puts it high on my list is that unlike most cartoons made for a family audience, Dogtanian isn't a series afraid of real violence. There are swordfights, characters getting shot, killed and such like. All in all, a great series and definately one of the top 5 cartoon series of all time. [TRIVIA: Made by the same company as Around the World with Willy Fog, but infinitely better.]

3. Pokemon - "Gotta Catch em' all", the series that introduced me to traditional anime, is also my favourite anime series of all time. I actually saw this, before I really had the game and I found it to be one of the best cartoons I'd ever seen. Funny, imaginative and smarter than it's usually given credit for, Pokemon is a brilliant series of a brilliant game. Unfortunately, its reputation was tarnished by the shoddy merchandise which circulated around it, the whining idiotic child fans of the show and the later episodes which lack the originality shown in early episodes (it went dowhill after Ash lost in the Pokemon League, really). I can't really put into words why this show is so good. I guess it's just something you get or you don't. And I certainly get it. [TRIVIA: I made a number of Pokemon fangames, around the time when the series was popular. Two of these games are based on the series and the first has the cast voiced fully by yours truly]

2. Simpsons - What can be said that hasn't been said before? The Simpsons is an awesome show with thousands of lines that you'll find yourself quoting in day-to-day conversations. Unfortunately, its becoming less and less funny and really deserves to be sent off with a good finale episode. Sadly, it'll probably keep on running until the series becomes unprofitable.

What's Number One? Find out TOMMOROW!!!
5. Only reason I watch Fox. 'nuff said ;)

4. It got dubbed to portuguese. Therefore, it sucked. Here, at least.

3. The series and even the movie got dubbed to portuguese :x
Still, it wasn't that bad. Like you said, the extremely childish fans and all the merchandising (I got all the 150 trading cards with the Pokemons, since that started a real craze... including bullies beating kids up and stealing their cards. I was nearly a victim of it) was what really
Also, even though the games were for GB/GBC/GBA, they could've put much more effort in the graphics. Instead, they decided to leave all the good graphics for the N64 in things such as Pokemon Battle. Damn Nintendo marketing nuts.

2. I watch it on our channel Dois (Two - yes that's the name) since it only shows the good old episodes, not the crappy Fox ones :D
Unfortunately, they stopped showing them for some reason.

edit: just checked Dois' website and it seems they stopped showing because - get this - now they're showing Futurama episodes! every Sunday at 20.30!!! :D
does Dois know it's stuff or what? :P
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:23 pm

Pokémon? 2nd? Are you mad?

Bleh, I hate it, and it will die under my wrathful gaze at some point, but until then I will sit back, and wait for Futurama or South Park to be revealed at number 1.

It all tempts me to make a list of the top 20 cartoon series that haven't been on TV. Or at least it would, if I'd seen more than 3 and a half. Ah well.

Good choice with the Powerpuff Girls. That programme goes from strength to even more strength.

The list is greatly cut down with the lack of anime on British TV. Give me Evangelion or perish!

FW
Former Staffmember

Post by FW » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:41 pm

Family Guy should have been number 2 ;)

KennyTornado
Settled in

Post by KennyTornado » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:00 pm

The Simpsons second? Awesome, even if it is second. I've even got a couple of Simpsons DVDs: 'The Simpsons Go Wild' and 'The Fourth Season Collection'. :D
"Well here is Kenny Tornado in his purple goodness." by Alien King on DA.

http://e-102worma.deviantart.com/

Alex
Settled in

Post by Alex » Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:35 pm

Joseph wrote:Pokémon? 2nd? Are you mad?

Bleh, I hate it, and it will die under my wrathful gaze at some point, but until then I will sit back, and wait for Futurama or South Park to be revealed at number 1.

It all tempts me to make a list of the top 20 cartoon series that haven't been on TV. Or at least it would, if I'd seen more than 3 and a half. Ah well.

Good choice with the Powerpuff Girls. That programme goes from strength to even more strength.

The list is greatly cut down with the lack of anime on British TV. Give me Evangelion or perish!
I'm with stupid ^^
Except replace "Evangelion" with "Gunslinger Girl". Or "Elfen Lied". Preferably the former.

^^ CURSE YOU PHPBB!

Cyclaws
Former Staffmember

Post by Cyclaws » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:21 am

Pokemon was funny. I enjoyed the series (but I always hated the awful sounds the Pokemon made, I prefered the little roars they made in the games), and liked the games. I still play the news ones (Pokemon Sapphire, Ruby, Leaf Green and Fire Red), but I'm getting bored now. I might get one for the DS (not the Pokemon Dash though, urrg), but I'll probably stop there. I agree with its rank though.
Webmaster of WormsTournaments: http://www.wormstournaments.co.uk
Creator of my blog: http://www.kevinstreetonline.com
Worms Corrispondent for Dream17: cyclaws@dream17.info

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:58 am

The games are a different matter altogether. Damned addictive.

RobotNinjaHornets

Post by RobotNinjaHornets » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:19 pm

Good list so far! But if DBZ isn't in there :evil: :P
Ex-SuperBlob

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:43 pm

Dragonball Z hardly constitutes as being one of the greatest cartoons of all time. Now one of the most annoying cartoons of all time, maybe.

Hey Euan, we should put that list together soon.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:10 pm

Ben is right. If you were to take a second, sit back and look at DBZ in the scheme of things, you would consider suicide.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:38 pm

I'm happy with Pokémon being that high (I was really annoyed at is shockingly low position in the C4 Top 100), but am I the only person who thinks Family Guy is better than The Simpsons around here...?
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:40 pm

I agree!
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Tue Mar 08, 2005 1:20 am

I can see your reasoning with thinking that Family Guy is better than the Simpsons. But Simpsons has been a bigger influence on our lives and I think Family Guy is less clever-funny and more look that guy's on fire-funny. Also, I prefer the Simpsons (well, the old episodes anyway), So there.

Anyway, the winner is....

FUTURAMA!!!!

Unafraid to venture into new and exciting territory, Futurama was the natural successor to Groening's Simpsons. Imaginative, intelligent and with a strong sense of continuity and character development, Futurama was just hitting its peak when it was cruelly axed by the jerks at Fox. While Simpsons has become stagnant, Futurama showed endless possibility. In conclusion... They axed the wrong show.

"Don't stop, Fry! The music was in your heart, not your hands!" - Zoidberg
[Fry begins to play]
"Boo! Your music's bad and you should feel bad!" - Zoidberg
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

FW
Former Staffmember

Post by FW » Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:39 pm

I'm glad to see Futurama be first and to wrap-up this list. Majority of people like Futurama :D

Here's one of my favourite quotes.

Not sure who said it - "And Fry you have that Brain thing"
Fry - "I already done that!"
:lol: