Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

xpresschok

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Post by xpresschok » Wed Aug 03, 2005 3:49 pm

Oh, this is nice. Just found out that BBC has an online illustrated version of the classic Infocom text adventure adaption of h2g2.

clicky

The first room description is "It is pitch black". How come I found myself thinking "Oh no! Grue!"... :D

Ah, the memories...
Please don't feed the grues.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:04 pm

I've never been able to complete this game, and I recently started again on the Amiga version.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

xpresschok

Post by xpresschok » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:28 pm

Squirminator2k wrote:I've never been able to complete this game, and I recently started again on the Amiga version.
The online version from BBC also has a fairly extensive hints section (tip: open it in a second tab or window) that you can browse by area and subject and get hints in a fairly spoiler-free fashion (starting hints are vague, but you can choose to reveal more "direct" hints if you like, in several steps).
Makes a great companion to the game (which is, in famous Infocom tradition, very hard to play without resorting to hints).

OldSkoolCrazy

Post by OldSkoolCrazy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:00 am

PC Gamer had a link to this. I still haven't gotten around to checking out though.
Best Turnbased: Worms (whole series)
Best FPS: Half-Life (whole series)
Best 3rd Person Shooter: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
Best Adventure: Uru: Ages Beyond Myst
Best RTS: Startcraft
Best Simulation: The Sims 2
Best RPG: Guild Wars

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sun Aug 07, 2005 12:56 am

xpresschok wrote:
Squirminator2k wrote:I've never been able to complete this game, and I recently started again on the Amiga version.
The online version from BBC also has a fairly extensive hints section (tip: open it in a second tab or window) that you can browse by area and subject and get hints in a fairly spoiler-free fashion (starting hints are vague, but you can choose to reveal more "direct" hints if you like, in several steps).
Makes a great companion to the game (which is, in famous Infocom tradition, very hard to play without resorting to hints).
well those are the hints included by the original game, they worked in the same manner, except you just typed "hints" to access them.
and the flash game is pretty nice, since the original is strictly text, it makes it easier to not have to figure out the exact names of things. though i don't like the "lag" between typing something in and the response coming out.
oh, and i find this action quite funny:
Attachments
hitchhik_000.png
hitchhik_000.png (8.38 KiB) Viewed 8695 times
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

xpresschok

Post by xpresschok » Wed Aug 10, 2005 2:24 pm

SupSuper wrote:well those are the hints included by the original game, they worked in the same manner, except you just typed "hints" to access them.
and the flash game is pretty nice, since the original is strictly text, it makes it easier to not have to figure out the exact names of things. though i don't like the "lag" between typing something in and the response coming out.
oh, and i find this action quite funny:
First: I know those are the same hints, but now presented outside of the game itself. Also the lag is annoying, but otoh the flash interface makes up for it in the long run.
Second: was that action lost while posting? Can't see it in your post...

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:53 pm

It's the attached PNG file.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

xpresschok

Post by xpresschok » Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:30 pm

Squirminator2k wrote:It's the attached PNG file.
Oh... so that was why I didn't notice it - I wasn't logged in when I read the post. *twitch* :oops: