Caesar IV

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Run
Fan of Excellence

Caesar IV

Post by Run » Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:28 am

Bah!

Tilted Mill have recently announced Caesar IV, but it is in no way a successor to the Caesar series :evil:
They're using the same engine from Children of the Nile!! Granted, it's an OK game, and this one will probably be OK too, but it's just not Caesar! At all! It should have been called something completely and utterly different (Just like COTL wasn't called "Pharaoh 2").

I'm pissed.
Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law"

Alex
Settled in

Post by Alex » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:18 pm

Well. Take in mind that Battle for Middle Earth used the Generals engine, but they're different. Or more so, that Red Alert 3 is going to use the Generals engine but RA3 won't suck.

^^ CURSE YOU PHPBB!

Run
Fan of Excellence

Post by Run » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:08 pm

Alex wrote: but RA3 won't suck.
The jury is still out on that one :P

I posted this on the Tilted Mill forum, it's getting a lot more friction than I expected: http://www.tiltedmill.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6975

There is no hope.
Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law"

Alien King
Regular

Re: Caesar IV

Post by Alien King » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:50 pm

Run wrote:Bah!

Tilted Mill have recently announced Caesar IV, but it is in no way a successor to the Caesar series :evil:
They're using the same engine from Children of the Nile!! Granted, it's an OK game, and this one will probably be OK too, but it's just not Caesar! At all! It should have been called something completely and utterly different (Just like COTL wasn't called "Pharaoh 2").

I'm pissed.
i never really thought much of the ceaser series anyway.

i found it all a bit too repetitive. ceaser 3 was i think, the best

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Sun Aug 28, 2005 8:04 pm

Alex wrote:Well. Take in mind that Battle for Middle Earth used the Generals engine, but they're different. Or more so, that Red Alert 3 is going to use the Generals engine but RA3 won't suck.
Jet Force Gemini used the (albeit slightly modified) Diddy Kong Racing engine. That's the best example I can think of -- racing game becomes co-op platform shoot-em-up.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:19 am

I only played Caesar III, and the shots from IV don't really look all that different to me, short of being in actual 3D. So why is that not a good sequel to Caesar?\
AndrewTaylor wrote:Jet Force Gemini used the (albeit slightly modified) Diddy Kong Racing engine. That's the best example I can think of -- racing game becomes co-op platform shoot-em-up.
There is, I believe, a mod for HL which turns it into a racing game, with absolutly no remains of the FPS.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Run
Fan of Excellence

Post by Run » Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:15 am

K^2 wrote:I only played Caesar III, and the shots from IV don't really look all that different to me, short of being in actual 3D. So why is that not a good sequel to Caesar?
So far, it appears to be based on the Children of the Nile engine, which is utterly different. There are no walkers. Paths actually have no function. There is virtually no control over raw materials and manufacturing. Housing evolution is totally different.

It's a completely different game.

Alex
Settled in

Post by Alex » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:42 pm

Run wrote:
K^2 wrote:I only played Caesar III, and the shots from IV don't really look all that different to me, short of being in actual 3D. So why is that not a good sequel to Caesar?
So far, it appears to be based on the Children of the Nile engine, which is utterly different. There are no walkers. Paths actually have no function. There is virtually no control over raw materials and manufacturing. Housing evolution is totally different.

It's a completely different game.
There's a UT2004 mod that turns it into a racing game. Like the HL one K^2 was on about.

When you have the *source* to the engine, making changes is even easier. The engine has nothing to do with it, it's their design choices that will dictate whether it's good or not.

^^ CURSE YOU PHPBB!

Run
Fan of Excellence

Post by Run » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:47 pm

The lack of walkers alone makes it utterly, completely and totally different, and they've said on the website that there will be no walkers.

Alex
Settled in

Post by Alex » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:51 pm

Run wrote:The lack of walkers alone makes it utterly, completely and totally different, and they've said on the website that there will be no walkers.
1/2 didn't have walkers did they? Maybe they're going back to their roots!111eleven.

^^ CURSE YOU PHPBB!

Run
Fan of Excellence

Post by Run » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:54 pm

True, but they didn't change it for Pharaoh, which because of walkers, was such a brilliant and strategic game. (Above all, it kept processing times a minimum)

Unfortunately, "realism" is the in-thing these days. Gameplay takes a backseat all the time.

We'll see.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:57 pm

AndrewTaylor wrote:
Alex wrote:Well. Take in mind that Battle for Middle Earth used the Generals engine, but they're different. Or more so, that Red Alert 3 is going to use the Generals engine but RA3 won't suck.
Jet Force Gemini used the (albeit slightly modified) Diddy Kong Racing engine. That's the best example I can think of -- racing game becomes co-op platform shoot-em-up.
Seem to remember reading something years ago about Spider-Man on PS1 using a modified Tony Hawks Skateboarding engine.