Nintendo reveal next generation Controller

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Sun Oct 02, 2005 4:58 pm

Worm Mad wrote:The first time I used the N64 controller, it killed my hand. I was round someone's house and I'd never used it before so I don't think I held it right. The big middle section of the controller ended up leaving a giant painful groove in the middle of my hand for about a week or so after I used it. So, yeah, I wouldn't really describe it as comfortable. Then again, what controllers are?
Maybe the problem is with your hands.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:21 pm

No, I just clenched it too tight. You have to know how to hold the N64 controllers right, they're a bit fiddley. Unlike the GC controllers. The GC controllers are very well designed.

Still, I wouldn't call any controllers comfortable per se. By comfortable, I mean - something you'd use, just for comfort. A sofa or a bed is comfortable. A controller is practical.
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Wolverine

Post by Wolverine » Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:50 pm

AndrewTaylor wrote:You must have crazyshape hands. The N64 controller is the Best Thing Ever. Had it had Dreamcast/GameCube style 3D stick and maybe analogue triggers it would have been perfect.
Sorry but I rate the N64 joypad as one of my least favorite controllers ever. It's got an awful design and is horribly unbalanced. Don't see why I had to move my hands around the pad for different games when I could use a Dual Shock well enough accessing all the controls comfortably. Having the memory card and rumble pack both needing plugged in the top back like that was awkward too. And some games had ya having to switch them around which was just plain idiotic. Should have done the Sony way by having the memory card in the console, and the rumble feature actually in the hand grips. Also having fairly large hands it was very uncomfortable holding the N64 pad in its most common way as the left prong would constantly cause irritation on the top of my left hand while trying to use the analogue stick. Personally I stick with the Dual Shock pads... have a few of them plugged into my PC via the USB port too.

Rabble

Post by Rabble » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:20 am

If you don't like the controller you can always get one of these.

http://img431.imageshack.us/img431/8857 ... oncont.jpg

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Tue Oct 18, 2005 4:23 am

Very nice Photoshopping, there.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:10 pm

Wolverine wrote:Sorry but I rate the N64 joypad as one of my least favorite controllers ever. It's got an awful design and is horribly unbalanced. Don't see why I had to move my hands around the pad for different games when I could use a Dual Shock well enough accessing all the controls comfortably.
Well, obviously that feature is designed so that, instead of having either the d-pad or 3D stick down at the bottom where it's a bit of a pain to keep your thumb on, both could be exactly where your thumb naturally rested, simply by holding the pad slightly differently. I thought that was ingenious, myself.
Rabble wrote:If you don't like the controller you can always get one of these.

I like the look of that. Especially if the swing-detector still works in there. You could do some crazy stuff with that.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:14 am

Rabble wrote:If you don't like the controller you can always get one of these.

If I was to buy a Revolution, not that I'm going to, not in a million years, but if I was, I would want that thing to come standart with the system. Otherwise, what they have is ridiculous.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:53 pm

I don't know if I posted this somewhere else but if you turn the remote on its side it resembles a NES controller.