Revolution (Not the console that many hoped for)

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Jonah
Settled in

Revolution (Not the console that many hoped for)

Post by Jonah » Wed Dec 07, 2005 12:41 pm

Howdy,

O well, some supposedly Revolution specs have appeared on IGN. The good news is that it seems that Nintendo's next gen offering will will be a lot cheaper than the rest of the next gen consoles, however, it appears to lack significantly spec wise.

Take a look.

What do you think about the latest news regarding Nintendo's new console?
http://revolution.ign.com/articles/673/673799p1.html

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Wed Dec 07, 2005 1:43 pm

Does it really matter, as long as the games are good?
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Re: Revolution (Not the console that many hoped for)

Post by AndrewTaylor » Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:32 am

Jonah wrote:O well, some supposedly Revolution specs have appeared on IGN. The good news is that it seems that Nintendo's next gen offering will will be a lot cheaper than the rest of the next gen consoles, however, it appears to lack significantly spec wise.
I can see the headlines now:

NINTENDO RELEASE CHEAPER CONSOLE WITH SLOWER CPU THAN COMPETITORS: NOBODY SHOCKED
Shigeru Myamoto says: "This was our business plan. This is what we've always done. It works. It's exactly what we always said we were going to do. Why are you interviewing me?"
In today's unsuprising news...

Jonah
Settled in

Re: Revolution (Not the console that many hoped for)

Post by Jonah » Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:25 pm

AndrewTaylor wrote:
Jonah wrote:O well, some supposedly Revolution specs have appeared on IGN. The good news is that it seems that Nintendo's next gen offering will will be a lot cheaper than the rest of the next gen consoles, however, it appears to lack significantly spec wise.
I can see the headlines now:

NINTENDO RELEASE CHEAPER CONSOLE WITH SLOWER CPU THAN COMPETITORS: NOBODY SHOCKED
Shigeru Myamoto says: "This was our business plan. This is what we've always done. It works. It's exactly what we always said we were going to do. Why are you interviewing me?"
In today's unsuprising news...
The question is, 'Does it always work?' In the world of sales I'm afraid it doesn't.

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:03 pm

You can't possibly know that without knowing what sales figures Nintendo would have got had they tried to compete directly with Sony and Microsoft. The cheaper end of the console market is a smaller one, but Nintendo effectively have it to themselves. I mean, even the NES was cut back in terms of hardware specs to make it cheaper. They could easily have made it 16-bit had they wanted to, but they didn't.

Besides which, Nintendo simply don't need to sell as many consoles as Sony or Microsoft. Their software will always make them plenty of cash. They own Mario, MarioKart (which is at least big enough to be seperate), Metroid, Zelda, Starfox, Donkey Kong, Pokémon, Pikmin, and loads of other brilliant game series. Sony and Microsoft, as far as I'm aware, have never written a worthwhile game between them on any format. I certainly can't think of one. (Although Microsoft have bought companies that have written great games and then tried to pretend they wrote them themselves.) Sony and Microsoft rely on other companies to fill the software gap. If they can't get a very large market share they won't be able to compete.

Alien King
Regular

Post by Alien King » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:29 am

AndrewTaylor wrote:They own Mario, MarioKart (which is at least big enough to be seperate), Metroid, Zelda, Starfox, Donkey Kong, Pokémon, Pikmin, and loads of other brilliant game series.
this is the reason why i would probably get the revolution.

a console is only as good as the software that goes with it (only in a certain way though. don't devolope this point. just don't).

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Sun Dec 11, 2005 3:52 pm

It'll be The Thing. Honestly.

When's it coming out?

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:04 pm

I honestly think the Revolution could have the same Hardware Specs as the GameCube, but with the backwards compatibility, downloads of older titles, and that snazzy controller, and I honestly think it would still be the better system of the bunch.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Alien King
Regular

Post by Alien King » Mon Dec 12, 2005 8:37 pm

Squirminator2k wrote:I honestly think the Revolution could have the same Hardware Specs as the GameCube, but with the backwards compatibility, downloads of older titles, and that snazzy controller, and I honestly think it would still be the better system of the bunch.
how would the new controller work with the older games?

or can it also use normal controllers?

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:29 pm

The Rev, so far as I am aware, has a port for the GCN controller. I'm sure they'll also have some kind of Retropad plug-in for the controller. It does have an expansion port on the bottom for plug-ins, after all.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:07 am

Turn the controller on its side and it looks like a retro rectangular pad.

Nintendo made profit on the Gamecube whereas Sony and Microsoft made losses on their last consoles.

Have you seen the video of Japanese people using the Revolution controller as it might be intended, from a TV's point of view?

http://www.nintendo.com/pop_video.vm?ur ... height=420

Bring back frog
THE ONLY ONE HERE

Post by Bring back frog » Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:05 pm

they have renamed it now.. its called the nintendo wii... why :?
Thomas sutherland... soz i havent been on for ages be back soon.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:11 pm

Because it's an amusing name. Imagine going into Gamestation and asking for a Wii.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:54 pm

I have done. I asked if they were taking PWii-orders yet.

Bring back frog
THE ONLY ONE HERE

Post by Bring back frog » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:09 pm

hahaha... :lol: i never fot about it like that... good point.
Thomas sutherland... soz i havent been on for ages be back soon.