To Mr. Jack Thompson

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Cyclaws
Former Staffmember

To Mr. Jack Thompson

Post by Cyclaws » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:24 pm

I will be sending the following letter to Jack Thompson, video game activist, concerning this news.

Dear Mr. Jack Thompson,

Before I start on what I hope can be a reasonably friendly letter to you regarding the unfortunate death of Mr. Mitchell S I would like to introduce myself. I am a 15 year old gamer, called Kevin Street. I turn 16 in April, and will be taking my GCSE examinations this coming June. Before Christmas, I took my mock GCSE, and whilst not trying to boast, did reasonably well in all subjects, specially those I deem to be "first class subjects" due to my interest in computer programming. These include Maths, ICT and Business Studies.

I would first like to comment on the conditions of his death. Whilst death in itself is a terrible thing, and it must be dreadful for his parents that they outlived him their son, I must ask you not to link his death with video games. He clearly states that his suicide was because of "citing overwhelming complications with school and finances. " No where does he mention video games. Would you mind explaining what caused you to write such a terrible letter so soon after his death, when there was no evidence that it was caused by video games?

My second point is about your basic statement that gamers are stupid. To that sir, I laugh. No, they are not. Many gamers are highly qualified in various subject that interest them. As fore mentioned, I have an avid interest in computer programming. As well as playing video games, in my spare time I learn HTML, C++ and will soon take time to PHP and MySQL. If you would like to know what any of these are, please feel free to ask. Saying " if you gamers could use a dictionary" is ridiculous. It is also rather ironic that you used the term "you" rather than "your", but typos are going to happen, no matter what your intelligence level is.

I end this letter by asking you to reply to cyclaws@gmail.com, and to ask you not to reply by saying something such as " check into the nearest mental health facility" or " not interested", as they are both escapism from the truth. It is not video games that cause violence, it is ignorance. I've been playing video games for a good 5 years, and I am not ignorant. I would like you to know that I will be posting this letter, plus any replies on forums with people I know would be keen to read them. If you have any objections to this, please tell me. I will respect your wish, and your opinion.

Yours sincerely,
Kevin Street.
Webmaster of WormsTournaments: http://www.wormstournaments.co.uk
Creator of my blog: http://www.kevinstreetonline.com
Worms Corrispondent for Dream17: cyclaws@dream17.info

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:54 pm

*applauds you* I'll write something along the same lines.
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:25 am

You shouldn't be writing this leter to Jack Thompson. He's obviously just trying to use the "games kill" paranoya to his own benefit. He will not care about anything anyone will say, and will continue in the same direction for as long as there are people who believe it. Instead, gamers should be trying to get more positive publicity with the press, making sure that people are well educated on the effects of gaming.

Thanks for bringing this incident to my attention, though.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Cyclaws
Former Staffmember

Post by Cyclaws » Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:23 am

I want to out-wit him. It's more of a personal thing, something I want t do.

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:24 am

He's been outwitted by lesser wits than yours. No challenge in it. But sure, go for it. If he replies, as he sometimes does, make sure to post the repply.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

AndrewTaylor
Regular

Post by AndrewTaylor » Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:34 pm

K^2 wrote:He's been outwitted by lesser wits than yours.
I would suggest he has probably been outwitted by inanimate objects before now.

Zeor
Senior

Re: To Mr. Jack Thompson

Post by Zeor » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:34 pm

Cyclaws wrote:I will be sending the following letter to Jack Thompson, video game activist
This article amazes me. Repeatedly. Every time I think there is no item of douchebaggery that can possibly top the one I'm reading now, another comes up that does.

Edit: Case in point, this is freaking unreal.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Cyclaws
Former Staffmember

Post by Cyclaws » Sun Jun 25, 2006 4:01 pm

*shudders*

(In case anyone's wondering about the letter, I could never find an e-mail address of his that didn't bounce the letter back to me.)

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:50 pm

He probably wouldn't read it anyway, and if he did, he'd probably just bark back a response that's about one half "sue you" and one half "dumb poopoohead."
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:13 am

Heh, ohhh dear. Silly man.