Lemmings, secret level exits?

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

bucky o'hare

Lemmings, secret level exits?

Post by bucky o'hare » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:48 pm

I'm not sure if they has been brought up before... is there a way of knowing where all of these alternate exits (glitches?) are?
Way back I recall finding at least a couple, just by chance. Like if you dug in a random spot where normally you'd die by falling out the bottom of the screen, it might just count as the lemming hitting the level exit. You'd hear the "yipee" instead of the death scream.
I can't recall if I found some of these in lemmings and oh no more lemmings, or just oh no more lemmings.
The one I remember in perticular is the introducing superlemming level. Not far from the beggining there is an easy shortcut to beating the level, although it can be kind of easy to miss and mess up. To the best of my memory, I found it by trying to commit lemming suicide.
I'll have to find the disk and make sure my memory is serving me correctly.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:32 am

I checked the original floppies and the adf files in winuae, there are indeed some short cuts. I found just two so far in oh no more lemmings-

Introducing SUPERLEMMING (passcode NICIHTWODM):
You can dig a little further to the right to find the exit, although I used the white line that the lemming is about to step on as a reference point for using the pickaxe instead. You have to be precise though, if you click exactly where the lemming is in that picture, it would be a few pixels too soon. It is easy to overshoot too.

And there it is! You see him doing the "dive" animation, and it makes the sound and all. Level is beat. And it turns out you do get to hear him do the death scream as well, but it is a fakeout. :wink:

Then in the level immediately after,
This Corrosion (passcode MCALVUFPDF):
You don't have to do anything! I see no mention of it in any walkthroughs, which I find odd. Just let the lemmings fall and you'll beat the level.

I remember another level having one of these, but I have no clue where in the game it was. I think i'd recognize the level if I saw it though. Who knows, I wonder if a lot of levels have these? You'd have to check falling out of every set of pixels though, which would be ridiculous. Again, I just found that first one by chance years ago. It feels like it could've been anywhere else in the level.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:08 pm

It seems to be at the some co-ordinates on both levels, don't you think?

Also, I've moved the thread to the Amiga Classics section as you're discussing the original version of the game developed by DAM Design, and not the SCEE/Team17 remake.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

bucky o'hare

Post by bucky o'hare » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:08 pm

Squirminator2k wrote:It seems to be at the some co-ordinates on both levels, don't you think?

Also, I've moved the thread to the Amiga Classics section as you're discussing the original version of the game developed by DAM Design, and not the SCEE/Team17 remake.
Oh! Thanks, I just noticed both but you beat me to it. :)
Good observation.

I tried digging around the same area (in regards to where the starting screen is w/out scrolling) and found a couple interesting things. In two more levels I found traps that got triggered around that area. The lemming will still fall to his/her death but you'll see a bit of the fire trap or another deadly thing get triggered. And In another level, the first in wicked mode, I found the alternate exit again.

I wonder if that area has some information stored that can be triggered, like sometimes it is traps, sometimes it is the level exit? The ones with traps were both in the tame mode, but all three of the alternate exit ones so far have been in wicked. I wonder if each mode determines what might be down there...

Some sort of grey colored looking equivalent to the fire trap.

Fire Trap.

Level Exit!

I;m pretty sure I didn't scroll around these levels at all so it looks like the co-ordinate thing might be a little lenient (if you're as far to the right in the last picutre as you are in the superlem level, you'd miss it). Or perhaps the level area coordinates don't always match up 100% in regards to where you're "looking" when the level starts? I'll do more of this tomorrow and see if I can figure it out better.
If anyone else has nothing better to do i'd also suggest trying this! 8)

K^2
Regular

Post by K^2 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:07 am

This is incredibly odd for a random glitch. If the exit was allways in the same location, then maybe... but since exits are allways in different places, this looks intentional. Perhaps, a debugging shortcut that was left in by misstake.
None of my projects (Minus One converter, W3D/W4 Map Viewer, and WMapEditor) are endorsed, supported or otherwise affiliated with Dream17. I just find Dream17 forums to be a nice place to share and discuss my work with others.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:49 pm

I'm reviving this thread, because we need to hear more about this. Is it just ONML that does this, or is it present in the original?
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

eelb87

Re: Lemmings, secret level exits?

Post by eelb87 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:46 pm

Just today, I discovered one of these secret exits by accident and googled to see if this had been documented by anyone. This is the only page I have found which talks about this bug.

This is the exit I found; Havoc level 18, Lemmings in a Situation
Attachments
lemmingssecret.png
lemmingssecret.png (28.33 KiB) Viewed 18139 times

Xinos
Regular

Re: Lemmings, secret level exits?

Post by Xinos » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:42 am

You guys should pool your resources and make a video essay on Lemmings bugs/secrets.