Well, it's officially down. :c

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

MtlAngelus
Settled in

Well, it's officially down. :c

Post by MtlAngelus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:38 pm

:c

iguana

Re: Well, it's officially down. :c

Post by iguana » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Last edited by iguana on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Dang. I can't believe it actually happened. I was really growing to love the place.

I'm worried I won't be able to survive in this world much longer if I don't get a facebook account.

iguana

Post by iguana » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Star and Moon wrote:Dang. I can't believe it actually happened. I was really growing to love the place.

I'm worried I won't be able to survive in this world much longer if I don't get a facebook account.
the 'golden grenade' fan art thread I made that you unironically responded to was a joke, the comic was actually some really terrible thing I made when I was 11-12 years old back in 2004 that I wanted to post to go out with a bang

just thought I'd warn you

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:09 pm

iguana wrote:
Star and Moon wrote:Dang. I can't believe it actually happened. I was really growing to love the place.

the 'golden grenade' fan art thread I made that you unironically responded to was a joke, the comic was actually some really terrible thing I made when I was 11-12 back in 2004 that I wanted to post to go out with a bang

I know. I was joking.

iguana

Post by iguana » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:11 pm

Star and Moon wrote:
iguana wrote:

the 'golden grenade' fan art thread I made that you unironically responded to was a joke, the comic was actually some really terrible thing I made when I was 11-12 back in 2004 that I wanted to post to go out with a bang

I know. I was joking.
just making sure, cuz if you weren't that would've been the most awkward thing in the world lol

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:13 pm

Well. At least the forums now redirect to the Forum Closure announcement so people don't get confused.

GreeN

Post by GreeN » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:49 pm

No archive; all T17 forum URLs posted around the interweb are dead. F*** Team17.

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:08 pm

I have made an archived version of the site (even cached the external IMG images) but unfortunately most of the oldest threads are inaccessible because it was too late :oops: 6 GB archived though. i'm preparing to upload it to my site

iguana

Post by iguana » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:11 pm

GreeN wrote:No archive; all T17 forum URLs posted around the interweb are dead. F*** Team17.
they realized nobody cared about the games anymore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTlhV3qv-oc so this was their revenge

Plasma

Post by Plasma » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Yup. Gone for good now.

I suppose I'll hang around here for a bit. Probably won't stay. We'll see.

At least I got to make the last thread, thanks to a workaround. Before they completely removed all access to the various non-beta subforums.

MtlAngelus
Settled in

Post by MtlAngelus » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:26 pm

StepS wrote:I have made an archived version of the site (even cached the external IMG images) but unfortunately most of the oldest threads are inaccessible because it was too late :oops: 6 GB archived though. i'm preparing to upload it to my site
You are legend, sir.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:37 pm

The forum's still there, just hidden behind a redirect, so I imagine they're not through with it yet. Bethany and CyberShadow still seem to be scoping the place out.

I think it's best to leave the past behind us anyways, if you really must, just go trawling through the Web Archive.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:18 pm

oh yes lol, we forgot we have this
http://forum.team17.co.uk/
...mirror :lol:

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:35 pm

I was actually in the process of writing a goodbye post when it went down (it had gone when I clicked Preview Post). I managed to save my post though and I'm going to post it here for the hell of it:
In my life, I've felt like a real member of a community twice. Once was at University. The other was on the Team17 Forum.

Years before I joined here, I used to visit another Team17 related forum. It was called 'The Allotment' and was a fan-forum semi endorsed by T17 itself. I was on the fringes there and remember feeling awed by legendary posters like Jon Skeet and Nutter. I wanted to be cool like them.

Anyway, that forum died, and time moved on. But years later, I found my way on here, and managed to find a place for myself with projects like my W3D FAQ, 17's Company/72WTD sitcoms, fangames, etc. It was a great atmosphere back in those days. We were creative, young, and ambitious. There was a real sense of collaboration on things like the Worm Stories (Once upon a time there was a worm named Jim) and an amazing feeling of camaraderie.

We were brought together by a love of T17's games but the community soon became much more than that. Here, it didn't matter how old you were, if you had a disability, or what country you were from. We were all equal, united by our shared humanity.

I've met great friends, through this forum, some who I've met in real life. We've stayed in touch outside of the forum and continue to do so. I went on holiday to America and stayed with Ben "S2k" Paddon, a couple of years ago. All as a result of this forum's existence.

I stopped visiting the forum itself, a number of years back (when things seemed to be getting a bit too snarky and cynical), but I've popped in from time to time. I actually wonder now if I was premature in leaving. This is still a great community and I'll definitely try and be more active if we all move to Dream17.

They say "You'll never leave" but that's sort of the wrong way round. You may leave... but this community, this place, will never leave you.

Thanks, everyone. It's been fantastic! :)

PS: I wasn't sure where to say this but I just wanted to thank Zero and KamikazeBananze for saying how much they liked my sitcoms. It really meant a lot to me and I'll make sure all those scripts are available to download for anyone who wants them, soon (I'm even thinking of a possible new final episode. watch this space).
I do agree that we should keep sobbing about the past to a minimum though. Time to look to the future.
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:51 pm

Indeed. Whatever the dystopian future may be... Team17 Digital Ltd neural implants.

Thurbo

Post by Thurbo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:06 pm

iguana wrote:they realized nobody cared about the games anymore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTlhV3qv-oc so this was their revenge
What I find ironic regarding peoples' reaction to the Memes speechbank is the fact it wasn't Team17's idea. They ran a think-up-a-cool-speechbank-for-us-and-see-if-we-record-and-release-it-with-the-game competition on Facebook at the time. Yeah, it's community-voted. Image

StepS
Settled in

Post by StepS » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:17 pm

Thurbo wrote:
iguana wrote:they realized nobody cared about the games anymore https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTlhV3qv-oc so this was their revenge
What I find ironic regarding peoples' reaction to the Memes speechbank is the fact it wasn't Team17's idea. They ran a think-up-a-cool-speechbank-for-us-and-see-if-we-record-and-release-it-with-the-game competition on Facebook at the time. Yeah, it's community-voted. Image
yep, and now no one else will know that as well...

Thurbo

Post by Thurbo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:51 pm

StepS wrote:oh yes lol, we forgot we have this
http://forum.team17.co.uk/
...mirror :lol:
So what's up with that? It's not the beta section of the forum which I believed was the only part not taken down yet. It's sort of the same forum, but when I log in to the beta section it doesn't automatically log me in to the normal section?

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:26 pm

Worm Mad wrote:(I'm even thinking of a possible new final episode. watch this space).
Squee!
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!