It's been a long, long (long) time.

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

KRD

Re: It's been a long, long (long) time.

Post by KRD » Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:04 am

The Timeshock! table (and potentially the rest of the Pro Pinball series) ought to be enough for anybody. :P

By the way Nutter, terrible news. Team17 recently attempted to replace you, again. I posted a summary thread about it on the TUS forums and in case my dramatic tone managed to pique your interest, which was its sole intent, here's a link to that:

http://www.tus-wa.com/forums/worms-arma ... ain-24776/

On the bright side, Mike seems like a really nice fella, actually. He even played a bunch of games with the WA crowd last weekend, that was fun.

Nutter

Post by Nutter » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:23 am

Interesting read

Where has Spadge gone?

The one thing that stands out for me is that T17 missed opportunities to bake player modes into WA without actually revamping the game core/functionality/weapons/etc.

Forts, ropers, etc. and rules around them could all be programmed in; that is the one thing you need added - would save the trouble of an injection of newbies.
(Former) Term 17 web master
(Former) The Allotment web master
(Former) GameSurge (nee GamesNet) IRCOp / ARCO / etc.
(Former) <Insert wormy thing here> as I did it, was it (or ate it) most likely!

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:45 am

I'm playing the Pinball Arcade season 1 tables at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if I'm still trying to conquer them in a year's time, never mind seasons 2 & 3.
x_+

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:12 am

Wow, has it really been an year already? What am I doing with my time?!? :o
Nutter wrote:any more pinball games I should consider buying?
Pinball Arcade is the leading product for accurate reproductions. Besides that, Pro Pinball and Pinball FX2 are pretty good.
Nutter wrote:Interesting read

Where has Spadge gone?
Like most industry vets, he's moved on to greener pastures, aka consulting.

Doesn't seem to be updating his blog anymore though, seems he's moved on to Facebook.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

KRD

Post by KRD » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 pm

Nutter wrote:The one thing that stands out for me is that T17 missed opportunities to bake player modes into WA without actually revamping the game core/functionality/weapons/etc.

Forts, ropers, etc. and rules around them could all be programmed in; that is the one thing you need added - would save the trouble of an injection of newbies.
Yep, Deadcode and CyberShadow will eventually tackle that in the 4.x rewrite, in part possibly before then. We'll see, it's a bit complicated.
Last edited by KRD on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nutter

Post by Nutter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:47 pm

Is 4.x fandom or official rewrite?

I noted Andy Davidson has returned to T17 employ as well...

For years he had a site up on Freeserve suggesting "the worm will return...."

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:22 am

Nutter wrote:I noted Andy Davidson has returned to T17 employ as well...
Yeah, iirc he was pretty closely involved in the development of Worms Revolution.

Which was pretty solid, really. Just very slow-paced. Even for a Worms game I mean.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

KRD

Post by KRD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:54 pm

Nutter wrote:Is 4.x fandom or official rewrite?
Well, Deadcode and CyberShadow did both start out as community folk, but I'd say at this point, considering they've been almost exclusively responsible for working on WA since 2002 and 2006 respectively, it's as official as we're going to get. And, more importantly, as good as we're going to get. At this point, they know the codebase better than the people who wrote it in the first place and get enormous respect from the community for keeping the game alive and listening to the players' wishes. Even though they don't technically get paid to do it, Team17 do check their code before publishing it on their website, plus now with Mike on board, the communication between T17 and the WA devs should again improve. It suffered quite a bit when first Spadge, then Billt17 (Mark Baldwin) and even Volcane (ServerAdminDave) left the company.

Hoping for the best here! 4.x stands to revitalise the game in ways most of its players can't even imagine...

Nutter

Post by Nutter » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:19 am

Do we have an ETA?

KRD

Post by KRD » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:02 pm

Back in 2008, on the 4.0 Facts page, it was stated that "it would not be ready this decade". This fact has since been crossed out as a result of that particular decade ending. Does this mean it now will definitely be ready this decade? Probably not. But it could happen! :P

Part of the uncertainty (potential legal, bureaucratic, monetary, emotional, etc. issues aside) comes from that 3.x development is still ongoing, and we just don't know what the ratio between that and 4.x development will be in the future, i.e. when 4.x will become the main focus. On the bright side, fixing the 3.x engine up remains a worthwhile task, since the changes should get ported over to 4.x nicely, once that's come far enough to have an engine ported into it.

But yeah, it's complicated. The game is still enjoyed by many, many people in its current state, though, so that makes it easier to remain patient.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:07 am

SupSuper wrote:Pinball Arcade is the leading product for accurate reproductions.
Have you recorded any high scores in it via Steam? I'm just curious if the friends leaderboard feature works.
x_+