17's Company/72 Ways to Die

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

17's Company/72 Ways to Die

Post by Worm Mad » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:35 pm

To those who never read them, 17's Company was a sitcom I wrote about the users of the Open Discussion area of the T17 Forum. The Forum was reimagined as a pub and it was a bit like Cheers (although a lot more absurd/wacky). 72 Ways to Die was a spin-off focusing on Zero72's character who had become a vampire slayer. It was more Buffy-esque in style.

Anyway, after KB and Zero reminded me how much they liked them, I decided to re-release them online and make a new final episode (as I wasn't pleased with the original). I thought I'd start by re-reading the scripts myself and...well, here's where things get problematic.

There are a lot of scripts. There were three series of 17's Company. The first two series are 6 episodes each. The third series is 11 episodes. As for 72 Ways to Die, there are three series - two of which are 11 episodes and one which is 10 episodes. In addition to these, there are four special episodes, a spoof 'after they were famous' documentary (as if it was a real tv show) and a feature length movie (which brings together the two series). So far, I've read the first two series of 17C and eps tend to be about 9-10 pages long (but who knows if later episodes are longer or not).

"So, what's the problem?" I hear you cry. Well, I'm not sure how to release them, for starters. If I just dump the entire archive somewhere, it'd be confusing for any newbies curious to see what the fuss was about. I'm sure SomePerson used to have a site which had all the episodes neatly arranged in handy sections but I can't remember the address (if it even exists anymore). I guess I could try and set something like that up (if it doesn't exist), but is it worth it? I don't know.

So yeah, any thoughts? :P
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Re: 17's Company/72 Ways to Die

Post by worMatty » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:19 pm

Do it. If you don't want to make a web page, you could ask Dan nicely to make you a sub forum here somewhere so you can keep them separate. Maybe have the forum sorted in order of thread name.

You have plenty of space on your Wurmz storage, if you wanna use that.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:04 pm

Worth it! Do it do it!
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:45 am

In an attempt to play god and rewrite history, I've written a totally new version of the finale of Series 2 of 17's Company (okay, I included a few lines from the original and a lot of the key plot points are the same but...) This was because the original was an ill judged attempt at writing a musical episode and... I felt kind of embarrassed about it. :P

On the plus side, the new version features a lot more actual jokes, Zero tackling a formidable foe, and some surprise cameos! :D
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:50 am

Excited! Excited! Repeating things!

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:37 am

Sounds like fun! Go for it!

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:19 am

I suggested to Worm Mad that the Dream17 Fan Fiction section would make a good home. After all, do you remember the Fan Fiction section? Did you even know it existed? Of course you don't. Nobody does. It's been there since the website's inception with just one thing. Forever. All alone. I bet none of you even read what was in it. No, I'm not telling you what it was now. Too bad. :P

Anyways, we've taken a chance to revamp the place up and get some content in there. It's still a WIP, but feel free to check it out and let us know what you think.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:03 pm

The what section? I have already forgotten what you wrote about.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:30 pm

And for anyone who already read all these the first time around, Series 2: Episode 6 of 17C is all-new (well, almost all new). Go read stuff! :D

The other series/film scripts will appear at some point but it may take a little while as it gets a little complicated after this point. At the moment, if you want to read the scripts chronologically, you can just read the 17C section and then the 72WTD section. Post S2 of 72WTD, things get a little messy.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:38 pm

This makes me happy. :D

Wasn't there a third season of 17's company and then... there was a movie, right, and then maybe there was some independent grand finale thing? Or am I nuts? I probably have all of it squirrelled away somewhere.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:03 pm

Oh dear I feel like I have to read ALL this now. I dunno.

Anyway apparently I'm pretty good at writing fan fiction so maybe I could write something I dunno. I started writing a worms story a while ago but it slammed head-first into a writer's block and I ended up deleting it :p.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:19 am

Zeor wrote:This makes me happy.
Huzzah! :D
Zeroar wrote:Wasn't there a third season of 17's company and then... there was a movie, right, and then maybe there was some independent grand finale thing? Or am I nuts? I probably have all of it squirrelled away somewhere.
Yup. As I said above:
I wrote:The other series/film scripts will appear at some point but it may take a little while as it gets a little complicated after this point. At the moment, if you want to read the scripts chronologically, you can just read the 17C section and then the 72WTD section. Post S2 of 72WTD, things get a little messy.
There's a third series of both 17C and 72WTD, plus a crossover film and a jumbo-sized finale (which I was never happy with).Oh and a third audio adventure set in space that is completely stand alone and has nothing to do with anything else.
Star and Moon wrote:Oh dear I feel like I have to read ALL this now. I dunno.

Do it. DOOOO IIIIIIIIT!
Star and Moon wrote:Anyway apparently I'm pretty good at writing fan fiction so maybe I could write something I dunno.
If you like writing, give it a shot.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:53 am

50 Shades of Pink, anyone? :oops:
x_+

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:46 am

Worm Mad wrote:There's a third series of both 17C and 72WTD, plus a crossover film and a jumbo-sized finale (which I was never happy with).
Oh yeah! I remember that third season of 72WTD now. I recall it being some pretty good stuff.

As for the finale, I feel like you had written that as a sort of "things change, now let's move on" message, which is why a lot of things ended kind of abruptly and/or catastrophically. :P Maybe an alternate finale or even just a retrospective thing in honor of the old forum could be nice.

I feel like I want to revise my character design again. Of course I'm probably mind-bogglingly awful at drawing humans now.

Edit: Which isn't to imply I was any good in the first place.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:24 pm

Bloopy wrote:50 Shades of Pink, anyone? :oops:
Oh no, oh no, nooo nooooo NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:44 am

I am reading all of them again and you can't stop me.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:33 pm

After re-listening to the audio episodes, I can only assume internet communication in the 90s was all done via tin cans connected by string.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:38 pm

Z-Raw wrote:As for the finale, I feel like you had written that as a sort of "things change, now let's move on" message, which is why a lot of things ended kind of abruptly and/or catastrophically. Maybe an alternate finale or even just a retrospective thing in honor of the old forum could be nice.
Yeah. I want to read through all the old scripts first but after that, it's something I've considered.
ZeeRow wrote:Which isn't to imply I was any good in the first place.
Well, you certainly weren't bad, because if you classify as bad then I must be terrible. And I don't want to be terrible!
() wrote:I am reading all of them again and you can't stop me.
W00t!
SupSuper wrote:After re-listening to the audio episodes, I can only assume internet communication in the 90s was all done via tin cans connected by string.
Er... you do realise the audio eps were made by editing various sounds people had sent me together? We didn't record it live (ala TeamSpeak or whatever).

Some people did have awful microphones though :D

SPEAKING OF AUDIO STUFF: I made a thing earlier in the week that classifies - http://euanmumford.tumblr.com/post/5872 ... rote-a-few

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sun Aug 25, 2013 5:44 pm

Worm Mad wrote:
SupSuper wrote:After re-listening to the audio episodes, I can only assume internet communication in the 90s was all done via tin cans connected by string.
Er... you do realise the audio eps were made by editing various sounds people had sent me together? We didn't record it live (ala TeamSpeak or whatever).

Some people did have awful microphones though :D
I do now. :P But yeah I was joking at the mics, I didn't remember the quality being so haphazard. Clearly we need a Digitally Remastered Edition for that too. ;)

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:56 pm

I could hopefully still record decently on my laptop. :P

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!