The Big Steam Thread

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Star and Moon
Regular

Re: The Big Steam Thread

Post by Star and Moon » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:40 pm

Bloopy wrote:Is a coupon for 90% off Left 4 Dead 2 a thing that anyone might even slightly want? I have no interest in the game whatsoever.
Same here, I have a coupon for 90% of Serious Sam 3, somebody can have it if they want.

Plasma

Post by Plasma » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:08 pm

Bloopy wrote:Is a coupon for 90% off Left 4 Dead 2 a thing that anyone might even slightly want? I have no interest in the game whatsoever.
By any chance does it say it's valid for sales too? Because if so, I want it! I don't have L4D2 yet, but... even at €2, I'm not sure it's worth it.

I wasn't a big fan of L4D1, you see.

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:01 pm

Plasma wrote:
By any chance does it say it's valid for sales too? Because if so, I want it! I don't have L4D2 yet, but... even at €2, I'm not sure it's worth it.

It's roughly the same game. But it's only as fun as your team is, which goes for any co-op game. You should play it in a lan environment or over skype/teamspeak, shouting at each other is half the game.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Plasma wrote:

I think you can use coupons during sales, but usually they make them expire before the next sale. :P
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:58 am

Plasma wrote:By any chance does it say it's valid for sales too? Because if so, I want it! I don't have L4D2 yet, but... even at €2, I'm not sure it's worth it.
No, I think it said it can't be used in combination with other discounts, though the coupon expires after 2 weeks so there's unlikely to be a sale in its lifetime. Already given it away, sorry.
x_+

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sat Aug 31, 2013 5:26 am

'ey, big ol' Steam Greenlight sale. Neat.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:54 pm

Zeor wrote:ey, big ol' Steam Greenlight sale. Neat.
Cool. Any games you'd recommend or warn against?
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Plasma

Post by Plasma » Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:15 pm

Worm Mad wrote:
Zeor wrote:ey, big ol' Steam Greenlight sale. Neat.
Cool. Any games you'd recommend or warn against?
Gnomoria is pretty great! Think a Dwarf Fortress with less stuff but easier to play. It... can get old after a dozen hours or so, and it's entirely possible you won't like it to begin with, but I recommend it anyway!

The somewhat-similar Towns is the opposite. Don't get it. Ever. Same goes for Guncraft.

Waking Mars is... certainly a very different experience, anyway. I called it a very Science game, in that it reminds me a lot of doing real-life research. Just don't expect much in the way of an actual game.

McPixel is basically WarioWare as applied to old-school adventure games. You have a very miniature adventure game puzzle, figure out what to do. Just not with logic. It's sometimes witty, but usually not. It really depends on how well you like pixel animations.
And yes, I'm aware this opinion is all over the place. It's very hard to convey!

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:12 am

I'd heartily recommend Postal 2 for 2 and a half bucks, if you're interested in an extremely politically incorrect low-budget FPS where you're a guy who does ordinary day-to-day things while everybody else is a bunch of murderable jerks. It's funny and cathartic, but yeah, also pretty messed up, as you might suspect. And just really not very structurally sound for the genre. But I've come back to it a good few times over the years.

That's also a pretty reasonable price on Surgeon Simulator.

e: Re: Postal 2, lately I've actually been playing the fan-made A Week in Paradise mod, which adds in the bladed weapons from the Apocalypse Weekend DLC to the main game, along with a whole bunch of new things which are varyingly fun and/or stupid and usually pretty overpowered. I'd recommend doing the vanilla game first, but it's alright.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:38 pm

Figured I'd post my thoughts here too for anyone curious:

Dragon's Lair: Oh gawd why would you do this.

Fly'n': A really stylish and underrated indie platformer.

McPixel: Wacky minigame-style adventure game.

War Thunder: This is actually Free2Play. :P It's pretty much the best multiplayer plane game around though, really puts World of Warplanes to shame.

Surgeon Simulator 2013: The most realistic simulation of how you would actually handle performing surgery.

Incredipede: Puzzle platformer where you have to build your creature to traverse obstacles. Kinda like make-your-own-QWOP.

AirBucaneers: A multiplayer nordic airboat combat type game... yeah, hard to explain but it's really silly fun.

Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded: Did you like the first Leisure Suit Larry? Well... here it is remade! :P

Papers Please: Passports have never been so engaging. Seriously you will never ever play anything like this and you should totally get it.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:11 pm

The Chaos Engine is on sale until the end of Sunday (this Sunday, not Sunday as a thing).

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:03 am

Got a Steam coupon for 50% off Enclave that expires on Apr 9 if anyone wants it. You won't save much though, the game's already cheap.
x_+

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:16 am

Definitely gonna grab the first Pinball Arcade table pack before the Steam sale is over. I've been stubborn because of their prices up to this point, even though I'd get a lot of gameplay out of one pack.
x_+

Joseph

Post by Joseph » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:24 pm

My only Steam hint of note - and hardly breaking news - would be do NOT buy the Adventure Time game. What a waste of money that was.

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:53 pm

I think Adventure Time would make for a decent Dota clone. At least it would be fun to design.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:37 am

I wish Steam would just allow you to turn games in your library into Steam Gifts and save many players the burden of having a game they don't want in their library.

Seriously I have too many Worms games on steam and the only one I have installed W:A. I feel sooooooooooooo awful when I remember how much I spent on Clan Wars compared to how little I've played it. Plus it doesn't help that Team17 just drop kicked it after it bombed.

Slick
Beef Stew

Post by Slick » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:14 pm

So I finally have me a nice rig that can actually handle very high end graphics.
This is the first time... erm... ever? So I'm completely lost when it comes to PC games.
Got Mine-Craft and the free to play Star Wars Knights of the Ol' Republico.
:P nothing to exciting but alas! I have a steam account now. islickster
Friend me - help me - save me. I am starting at square one with Steam.
Recommendations for current games?
(not to found of FPS)
If you can read this....you're not blind.

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:20 pm

Have you played Limbo? You should.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:26 pm

Slick wrote: :P nothing to exciting but alas! I have a steam account now. islickster
I can't find any permutation of that smelly name. Here, have a couple of groups to get you started though.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/dream17

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/Team17Forum

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Slick
Beef Stew

Post by Slick » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:40 pm

I've kinda changed it. Messing around with the profile for a minute. I've joined both groups but seems everyones friends list is full.
Figures lol
If you can read this....you're not blind.