Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Star and Moon
Regular

Re: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Post by Star and Moon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:20 pm

HuntaKilla wrote:I only have a DSi with Wild World, but one of my friends has New Leaf and she's been obsessed with it. I did manage to pry her 3DS from her long enough to try it out. She had Streetpass turned on when we were at a convention and it gathered info for about 30-40 people's houses which you could then go and visit. I thought that was a pretty cool feature, but I don't think I'd be going out to buy a 3DS just for this game or anything. I'm not too keen on the 3D feature and that was kind of the point of the 3DS :/
Honestly I really don't like the 3D feature either. I prefer to keep it off as I think it also saves battery power too.

Also the Pattern maker in this game is just AWESOME, it's one of my favorite features of the game. Can't wait to unlock QR codes.

Thurbo

Post by Thurbo » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:37 pm

Star and Moon wrote:
HuntaKilla wrote:
Also the Pattern maker in this game is just AWESOME, it's one of my favorite features of the game. Can't wait to unlock QR codes.
What's different (compared to Let's Go to the City)?

MonkeyforaHead

Post by MonkeyforaHead » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 pm

HuntaKilla wrote:I only have a DSi with Wild World, but one of my friends has New Leaf and she's been obsessed with it. I did manage to pry her 3DS from her long enough to try it out. She had Streetpass turned on when we were at a convention and it gathered info for about 30-40 people's houses which you could then go and visit. I thought that was a pretty cool feature, but I don't think I'd be going out to buy a 3DS just for this game or anything. I'm not too keen on the 3D feature and that was kind of the point of the 3DS :/
It was the point as a marketing gimmick. Actual gameplay applications with it are close to nil, and as always it's the games that should sell the system... which, admittedly, are still fairly sparse. But Mario Kart 7, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, and Monster Hunter are all really solid if those are your thing. There's also a few good original eShop titles and a bunch of good NES and Game Boy Virtual Console releases.

Although for anyone considering getting an original model 3DS and not the obscenely over-large XL, get a screen protector. You'll be taking a flip of the coin as to whether your unit's upper screen will get scratched up simply by being closed over the lower screen. It's just as stupidly arbitrary a design defect as the cracked hinges on the DS Lite.
Thurbo wrote: What's different (compared to Let's Go to the City)?
In a word, "enough".

If you ever played the original Animal Crossing and then still managed to get into Wild World, this feels like about the same amount of advancement. Just a ton of little tweaks and additions. I managed to get a couple years on and off out of the first two games. Believe me, I was pissed with City too. Traded it back in after 3 days.

This time you get to be mayor, which enables you with such privileges as enacting an ordinance (like the Night Owl ordinance, making stores stay open later, thank God), and funding public works projects, mostly decorative but includes stuff like additional bridges and the Dream Suite which lets you visit friends' towns in a "dream" even if they're not online. You can also fund the Reset Centre to the tune of about 350k bells, because Nintendo got enough complaints from soccer moms with traumatized children that you now have to FUND Resetti to have him come chew you out. You can abuse your mayoral authority to evict the townsfolk you don't like. (The ones who intend to move out also give you a few days' notice and will bring it up with you anytime you talk to them, so you're less likely to lose someone you like.)

You can choose where to put your house, and you don't share it with everyone else on the same save file. You can customize it with different doors, exteriors, roofs, fences, pavements, and mailboxes (out of an admittedly limited selection). Once you've maxed out your main room, you actually get to pick what room (including the basement) you want added next.

Weeds take longer to grow en masse. Flowers actually sparkle to let you know when they've been watered. The ring pattern in a fresh tree stump has a possibility of containing a rare design to collect. There are new fruits now, and very rare, Perfect Fruits which can be planted and sell for a massive deal more; but Perfect Fruit trees can only be harvested a limited number of times before withering. Custom pattern design has more options, and you can actually custom-pick your palette from the 96 or so colours available. You can send and receive them as QR codes. Many furniture items can now be reupholstered or otherwise given different colour schemes. The Island has been brought back for the first time since the original game; it's now a multiplayer minigame hub. Going online doesn't cause all your villagers to retreat into their houses and all festivals to cease to exist. Bees are marginally less bullshit to actually catch. It'll take a couple weeks to unlock, but KK Slider DJs at a club every night of the week now where you can go to listen to a 6-hour long remix medley of every one of his songs, with his usual live performances on Saturdays including about an hour's worth of new songs.

No more custom constellations, though. And Blathers has lost all of his flavor text. But besides that, I'm impressed.
Last edited by MonkeyforaHead on Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:45 pm

Thurbo wrote:
Star and Moon wrote:
HuntaKilla wrote:
What's different (compared to Let's Go to the City)?
You can change and choose colors instead of being restricted to the colors the chosen palette provides. Allows for a lot more color combinations and makes it possible to shade something elaborately.

I got like 5 different shades of peach for my Worm pattern.

MonkeyforaHead

Post by MonkeyforaHead » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:22 pm

Oh yeah. 3781-0066-5460.

e: I have a Dream Address now too. 5400-2211-8183.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Mr Phillby

Post by Mr Phillby » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:08 pm

Blathers will comment on the stuff you donate, but only if you donate each item one at a time.

I really want to buy a wetsuit, but whenever I try a minigame to earn medals I get distracted and spend the entire time limit collecting fruit instead.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:42 pm

Finally got around to getting this off my 3DS
http://qrcrossing.com/home/worms/

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:14 pm

Holy crap, that is a large QR code.

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:28 pm

worMatty wrote:Holy crap, that is a large QR code.
Makes sense though, most QR codes just hold a short message or a url. You probably need something with a higher resolution if you are going to store whole images.

Slick
Beef Stew

Post by Slick » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:43 am

Got a 3Ds yesterday and New Leaf
I had gotten the wife obsessed with the game on the original DS so she also got a 3Ds and the game too lol.
Anywho, friend code 0275-9069-5074
Let me know if you wanna stop by and join us for fishing and other things.
We're just starting off and have nothing - but that's part of the fun. I hope Zeor has gotten the game by now *shifts eyes*
I can't wait to go scorpion hunting again :D
If you can read this....you're not blind.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:43 am

Slick wrote:I hope Zeor has gotten the game by now *shifts eyes*
Nyet. I'll have a real paycheck starting soon though.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Slick
Beef Stew

Post by Slick » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:16 pm

Well I don't see any better way to spend your money. Bills and debt will always be there. :v
If you can read this....you're not blind.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:51 pm

Now that I have my own 3DS I might be able to get my own copy of animal crossing and share friend codes, but I'm currently saving up for Yoshi's New Island... so it might be awhile.