Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:15 am

Is anybody else playing New Leaf right now? I've been playing since launch and I'm absolutely in love with it.

If you're at all interested, my 3DS Friend Code is 5043-1877-6294. Add me, let me know your code, and maybe we can visit each other's villages (or at least race in Mario Kart 7).
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Star and Moon
Regular

Re: Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Post by Star and Moon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:18 pm

I am superly excited for this game! I'm just 15 bucks short of owning it though :l

Mr Phillby

Post by Mr Phillby » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:14 pm

I picked this up last week. Just paid off my first mortgage and upgraded my house!

My friend Code is 1032-1428-9812

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:07 pm

Added!
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:06 pm

I'm going to have to get this, aren't I.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:12 pm

No.

(Yes.)

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:09 pm

Zeor wrote:I'm going to have to get this, aren't I.
Yes, get it.

We could have a dream 17 tea party in one of our towns!

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:17 pm

Aww... just went to GameStop to get it and they were all out of stock.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:26 pm

If you have a credit or debitcard and room on your 3DS's SD card you can buy it from the eShop for $35.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Squirminator2k wrote:If you have a credit or debitcard and room on your 3DS's SD card you can buy it from the eShop for $35.
I'm considering that, just gotta wait for my dad to get home.

Muzer

Post by Muzer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:58 pm

Indeed - I was surprised to find (given it isn't advertised as compatible) that my Visa Debit card worked (the 3DS just assumed it was a credit card). Nice!
With thanks to XxDangerxX and Aku 13 for the Av!

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:25 pm

I don't even own a 3DS. I wonder if I should get one.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:09 pm

Alright, New Leaf is downloading as we speak. Can't wait to try it out!

MtlAngelus
Settled in

Post by MtlAngelus » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:48 pm

I've never played an Animal Crossing game in my life.

Muzer

Post by Muzer » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:03 pm

MtlAngelus wrote:I've never played an Animal Crossing game in my life.
I agree. It's never seemed like the sort of game I'd like. The (for me) anomaly of Worms aside, I mostly like linear games - I don't really like when there are a massive multitude of things that I could do and I have no bloody idea how to choose which one.
With thanks to XxDangerxX and Aku 13 for the Av!

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:25 am

I am making Worms Patterns that I will eventually share once I unlock QR codes.

iguana

Post by iguana » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:59 pm

The only game in this genre that I've played is Enchanted Folk (or Magician's Quest if you're American) on the DS, a super-obscure Konami Animal Crossing clone by Konami that had no fanbase to speak of beyond a small clique on 4chan's /v/.

The most memorable part was how far it went to punish the player. If you reset without saving, you're forced to scrub a bunch of dirty toilets. If you cheat by changing the DS internal clock, you're once again brought to the toilet-cleaning screen - except this time, the dirt never, ever goes out. You either have to go back and change the time or scrub toilets forever.

Thurbo

Post by Thurbo » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:25 pm

iguana wrote:The most memorable part was how far it went to punish the player. If you reset without saving, you're forced to scrub a bunch of dirty toilets. If you cheat by changing the DS internal clock, you're once again brought to the toilet-cleaning screen - except this time, the dirt never, ever goes out. You either have to go back and change the time or scrub toilets forever.
Ugh, and I already hated the punishment in Wild World. Endless discussions with that mole. 80% of the time it was my battery running out or the game crashing on its own anyway so on top of your lost progress you get this.

The other 20% were mostly to finally get the emotion I wanted from that awful comedian guy. I. really. just. wanted. my. character. to. laugh. in. multiplayer. mode. SERIOUSLY. Discovering everything that is to discover in Animal Crossing takes a life time anyway. Not necessarily a bad thing except when you figured out how things work and simply have to rely on luck to finally get what you came for.

Also after getting Let's go to the City on the Wii and discovering it was somewhat the exact same game as Wild World with minor changes, is it safe to assume buying a 3DS just for New Leaf isn't worth it? The series is, in certain instances, more work than fun as well. You'd have to play it every day to prevent villagers from leaving, flowers from wilting, weeds from invading your town, things that led me to set my clock back at some point of not having played it for a week or two again, effectively screwing with real-time events and the requirement of setting the clock back to the real date day by day. The real time events are utterly pointless without resetting the clock every once in a while anyway - did you honestly take your DS to the New Year's Eve party and played Animal Crossing while everyone else was counting down the time till New Year? I did not.

That was horrible. I also have to say the first hours of getting used to the game and slightly increasing your house were the very best experience to receive from Animal Crossing, so inevitably, no new Animal Crossing will be able to give me that same experience again.

iguana

Post by iguana » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:33 pm

In all honesty, I don't mind this kind of thing. It's pretty hilarious for a game that's normally so happy and carefree to screw you over this way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koHO9vN6t4I This Animal Crossing-type game had Shigeru Miyamoto working on it, and what made it different from AC was that at the beginning of the game, everyone hates you and you have to slowly gain their trust. It never got a fan translation and there were never plans to bring it to the west, because it was "too weird". Meanwhile Katamari got released outside of Japan and became popular despite being (or perhaps because it is) the video game embodiment of "wacky zany Japan".

HuntaKilla

Post by HuntaKilla » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:52 am

I only have a DSi with Wild World, but one of my friends has New Leaf and she's been obsessed with it. I did manage to pry her 3DS from her long enough to try it out. She had Streetpass turned on when we were at a convention and it gathered info for about 30-40 people's houses which you could then go and visit. I thought that was a pretty cool feature, but I don't think I'd be going out to buy a 3DS just for this game or anything. I'm not too keen on the 3D feature and that was kind of the point of the 3DS :/