So I think this was about due

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Alien King
Regular

Re: So I think this was about due

Post by Alien King » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:20 pm

The induction of me and Cyclaws was steeped in irony.

iguana

Post by iguana » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:27 am

MonkeyforaHead wrote:
Bloopy wrote:The avatar fads were one of the best things, even though I think I only participated once. I don't know if that magic could ever be created again on another forum.
I know Zero doesn't think too highly of it on the whole and it's true it's an incredibly strictly policed place which is kind of necessary given its population, but bits of magic are born on Something Awful every now and again. The CAD mock thread can be a bit hit or miss, but every now and then some incredible artists would crop up with their own input and interpretation of the cast, or someone would come up with some insane, elaborate interpretation of an underlying story that was entertaining and oddly plausible. It's kind of akin to looking at Garfield in its current state and remembering that old story arc that seemed to indicate the comic as we know it is all taking place in Garfield's head as he slowly wastes away in the abandoned house once owned by Jon.

There was the ever-present joke of Duke Nukem Forever in the Games forum. Any time it came up, AxeManiac, one of the moderators, would put on this facade of spreading the one true gospel of Duke, painting him as this messianic figure preparing for his second coming, etc., and anyone who spoke sufficiently ill of the Duke was FOREVER BANNED -- which was not an actual probationary status, but instead a big branding avatar that could not be replaced by the user, to be removed only when DNF was released. Except then DNF actually was released, not too long after, and so the condition was changed to "when DNF and Half-Life 3 are released".

Unfortunately I think all the posters with that avatar have since moved on to other things or gotten themselves legitimately banned by other means. Perhaps there is someone left just biding their time, waiting for HL3 to make their reappearance and request their avatar privileges back. Perhaps we'll never know.

And then there was the birth of Let's Play, which exploded so violently it had to be segregated to its own subforum and eventually spilled over onto YouTube in the worst way imaginable and now we have PewDiePie and the like. But I specifically remember an LP of Sprung early on, an astonishingly laughable launch-window DS non-Japanese visual novel / dating sim in which among other things the protagonist has the option to just spontaneously mace anyone in the face at any time after receiving it (usually resulting in an instant game over). References and in-jokes spilled over into other LP threads at the time and it spawned an avatar fad of its own.

Wow. I actually joined there 7 years ago. It's not as old as OD, but I'm kind of nostalgic about SA too. :P
The shitty webcomics thread in YCS was pretty fun. Also the PHIZ one was great before Zorak decided to enforce the "WEBCOMICS DISCUSSION ONLY" rule. It had pretty much become its own little world with people like KC Green and Patrick Alexander posting about a fairly wide variety of topics revolving around drawing/art/cartooning, sort of a grey area between boring GBS discussion and the usual FYAD-lite wackyzany shitposting.

Mr Phillby

Post by Mr Phillby » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:42 pm

The PHIZ thread was great, but I don't think anyone in it actually visited the rest of the subforum. I tried once but surprise the rest of the forum was 100% impenetrable shitposts.

The general webcomic thread in BSS is generally worth following, and a bunch of cool webcomic peeps post in the 'Making Comics' shoptalk offshoot thread, although that one can get a little dry and I hope you like every other page being an argument about the legitimacy of fanfiction with the guy behind that Oblivion Catgirl comic.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:36 pm

I kinda miss YCS. Yeah it was 90% shitposting, but it also had lots of hilarious megathreads like the aforementioned terrible webcomics / CAD stuff, game announcements, live E3 reports, etc. Now you only get that kind of fun at YOSPOS at most. Maybe I'm just a sucker for internet rage. :P

Now I mostly just lurk around Games to keep up with news and hope something hilarious happens in Let's Play, usually involving bad games or bad youtubers.
Mr Phillby wrote:The general webcomic thread in BSS is generally worth following, and a bunch of cool webcomic peeps post in the 'Making Comics' shoptalk offshoot thread, although that one can get a little dry and I hope you like every other page being an argument about the legitimacy of fanfiction with the guy behind that Oblivion Catgirl comic.
Do you mean Prequel? I never got that. I mean, I love the webcomic, but I never got that it was based on Oblivion, why, how, or if it even matters at all. Is there some elaborate backstory I'm missing? It seems to stand fine on its own, and that kind of fact just gets gaming nerds all gaming nerdy about it.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Mr Phillby

Post by Mr Phillby » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:33 pm

It's set in the Elderscrolls universe for the same reason it completely rips both the format and visual style of Homestuck: because those are properties with massive pre-existing fanbases. He's quite open about it. He's also posted about how awesome it is to rip off an artist by paying them for their work with fast food coupons, which went down as well as you might expect in a thread full of struggling webcomic artists.

Personally I stopped reading Prequel when I stumbled on the Stripper pole dancing minigame. :P

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Mr Phillby wrote:It's set in the Elderscrolls universe for the same reason it completely rips both the format and visual style of Homestuck: because those are properties with massive pre-existing fanbases. He's quite open about it. He's also posted about how awesome it is to rip off an artist by paying them for their work with fast food coupons, which went down as well as you might expect in a thread full of struggling webcomic artists.

Personally I stopped reading Prequel when I stumbled on the Stripper pole dancing minigame. :P
Oh so it's covered in a bunch of dumb internet drama I can't be arsed to care about like everything else online. Gotcha.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:16 am

:P Don't mind me, just reminiscing over one of my greatest ever OD posts:
Bloopy wrote:
thomasp wrote:I suppose that's one "good" thing about my degree (aero engineering), there aren't too many terms/words/etc that have "alternative" meanings.
What, like cockpits, turboshafts, thrust, nozzles, corkscrews, ram drag, payload, flaps, and wind tunnels?
x_+

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:58 pm

Epic response.