RPG Maker VX Ace- Steam sale for 39 more hours

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

RPG Maker VX Ace- Steam sale for 39 more hours

Post by worMatty » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:58 am

Hello, folks.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/220700/

A nice RPG-making suite. Paul Varley already owns this, Ben Paddon wants this. It's on Steam sale at a 66% discount.

My question is, if you want it, and you want it slightly cheaper, who wants to jointly purchase a four pack?

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Re: RPG Maker VX Ace- Steam sale for 39 more hours

Post by Worm Mad » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:01 pm

Looks interesting. Is it possible to change the in-game artwork via normal art programs like Photoshop? (I'm thinking of the profile pics for the characters specifically). But yeah, this reminds me of the 72WTD RPG which SomePerson was programming at one point (although that was all text).

Not sure if I'll get it at that price but we'll see.
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:03 pm

I don't know, but I would expect to be able to add our own content. I think I had a play with the first version of this in college. It had loads of features.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:38 am

You can add your own artwork, yes.

I'd be all over this, except I am broke. Boo!
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:41 pm

Well, I bought it. You talked me round.

Also purchased the Modern Tiles pack as it was cheap and I thought it might come in handy. WE SHALL SEE.
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 pm

You guys better be making a game about T17F, dramatizing it's history and eventual collapse. Just tell me when you need a sigworm from me.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Xinos wrote:You guys better be making a game about T17F, dramatizing it's history and eventual collapse. Just tell me when you need a sigworm from me.
Oooooh I like that idea. I could make Worm Sprites!

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:56 pm

Euan! :-P We could have purchased a quad pack.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:01 pm

Euan! We could have purchased a quad pack.
In my defence, I was the only person to show any interest in buying this (other than you). I just assumed the 4-pack thing wasn't happening as there weren't...y'know... four of us. Sorry. :P

In other news, I've started trying the program. It annoyingly doesn't have a tutorial and the manual is pretty unhelpful. I have managed to work out a few things however by trial and error + video tutorials on Youtube.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:10 pm

No problem.

There is probably a community forum somewhere. IIRC it has a scripting system, so that should be documented somewhere. Try the Steam discussion cupboard.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:26 pm

The Youtube videos are proving pretty helpful, at the mo. I steered clear of the excited British and American tutorials and went for a Swedish guy who sounds bored and semi-depressed. He also makes mistakes sometimes and corrects himself. A class act! :D

Things I have learned so far:
1) How to make a basic map with obstacles, etc.
2) How to create a character with the character creation system.
3) How to get my character to teleport from one place on the map to another (or to another map). Useful for if you want someone to enter a town or whatever.
4) How to make a character you can talk to (dialogue trees!) who will give you a quest to perform.
5) How to place objects on the map you can find and pick up.
6) How to make monsters appear and fight you when you go into certain areas on the map.

Which I think is a pretty good start, seeing as I only got it yesterday. I'll be making dubious fangames in no time! ;)

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:38 am

I look forward to 17C/72WTD: The Game. :D
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:33 pm

I used to play around allot in an old version of RPG Maker, this was way back, probably over ten years ago. I had to learn everything by myself, but there wasn't a whole lot you could do so it was fine. I was mostly occupied with trying to create an accurate map of the island I lived on. Gameplay was secundary and at most accidental. Great fun, but I would never attempt to make a real game with it :p

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Yeah, I'm sure messing around with maps and creating items and enemies and characters may be fun, but assuming you even have a plot, I imagine that properly balancing a game like that must be a lot of tedious, mind-straining work.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:31 pm

I personally think all this 'balancing' crap people talk about nowadays gets in the way of making games fun. I can honestly say there is never any time I've been playing a game and thought "Hmm, this weapon is way too overpowered. This game could really do with some balancing". I have thought "Wow. They really sucked the life out of this" (mainly with apparently 'balanced' games).

Take Worms Armageddon or Worms 2. They let you use super overpowered weapons but people still loved them. And no, playing with ridiculous insta-kill weapons doesn't make for a very strategic game. But sometimes it's fun just to mess around and experiment. I remember all my favourite games of Worms with friends were doing silly things anyway - kill the crates, Worm olympics, skimming shots, etc. I dunno. I just feel people can get too hung up on the issue and lose some of the magic in the process. There's something to be said for games that tell good stories or allow you to play around and experiment or which surprise you by doing something you've never seen before.

So yeah, if I make any RPGs with this, they'll be short and fairly simple but with (hopefully) a good focus on plot/humour. I've also been thinking about some more experimental RPGs. I really want to make 'Fist Dodger 2', a spoof of old martial arts movies with a twist (your goal is to avoid fights wherever possible). Another idea I have is one where you don't fight external enemies but your own inner demons (in this concept, losing the fights doesn't kill you - it just influences the direction of the story).

I wanted to make a test 72WTD game but there's no ponytail option in the basic character creation :(

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:46 pm

Oh look, I finally created a thing! - http://euanmumford.tumblr.com/post/7105 ... puter-game