Back to back Speedrun marathons: ESA and SGDQ!

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Mr Phillby

Back to back Speedrun marathons: ESA and SGDQ!

Post by Mr Phillby » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:12 pm

If you're anything like me, you might enjoy watching very skilled people play through popular videogames very quickly indeed, often utilizing stunning sequence breaks and insane glitches! You might especially enjoy seeing runs performed live in front of an audience of thousands with entertaining commentary from the runner bold text!

Well good news, because this fortnight these skilled players of games are gathering for two exciting Charity Marathons! Donate money to charity and help unlock marvelous donation incentives and win fabulous prizes perhaps!

Live from Sweeden it's The European Speedster Assembly! Starts today and runs until the 21st.
Speedrunners of Europe come together to benefit Doctors without Borders!

Official Website Timezone Adjusted Schedule
Watch the stream here!

But wait, THERE'S MORE!
Offical Website
Here comes the sister marathon to January's mega-successful Awesome Games Done Quick!

The Schedule is here and the stream itself will be available on the Speed Demo Archive's front page, once the time is right!

Alien King
Regular

Re: Back to back Speedrun marathons: ESA and SGDQ!

Post by Alien King » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:30 pm

Whatched some of the AGDQ on the Youtubez a while back. Thanks for linking this.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:38 pm

What? Video game marathons?

These guys are brilliant. :D

Mr Phillby

Post by Mr Phillby » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:14 pm

less than 2 hours until ESA Kicks off, and 3 hours until I have to go to work :P

Obviously it's best to watch live, but if you miss something you wanted to see you can have a nose about in the past broadcasts tab. They generally split the stream every 12 hours or so and the The on-screen titles and timer actually makes skipping around to finding the run you're after relatively painless.

Anywhay, here's some waffle about which runs I'm looking forward too:

I'm not very familiar with many of the ESA runners, but I do know Robosparkle's 100% Arkham City run is going to be great! Mastery of the game's showy combat combined with plenty of Out of Bounds shenanigans!

Spyro 2 is broken as all get out, so the 100% should be a lot of fun.

I've never seen them run before so the Jak and Daxter Trillogy Block should be good. All three games in less than 5 hours.

There's three Mario Kart runs on the schedule, and I'm curious to see how well that works. I imagine Double Dash and Wii will have some crazy glitched shortcuts.

Naturally, all the Marios, Metroids and Zeldas are good watches, if you haven't seen them before. The Majora's mask race should be good, and I hear there's been some recent Super Metroid discoveries so I might give that one a go.

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:59 pm

Doesn't using glitches to make the game shorter sort of go against the point of playing it quickly? I'm not sure how watching people using glitches is impressive.

Braininator
WMX Webmaster...?

Post by Braininator » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:04 am

worMatty wrote:Doesn't using glitches to make the game shorter sort of go against the point of playing it quickly? I'm not sure how watching people using glitches is impressive.
In many cases the glitches are extremely difficult to perform. Some need to be timed to a specific game frame, others can be based off a specific pixel. (I think one of the Sonic games has a sub-pixel glitch, where it's impossible to accurately replicate it and thus is basically comes down to chance.)

Mr Phillby

Post by Mr Phillby » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:40 am

It's generally more interesting to see a glitched run than a 'natural route' simply because you get to see how far a game can be broken. Seeing a game you are intimately familiar with being beaten in ways not intended by the developers can be a real trip.

The best example I can give is this 22 minute any% run of OOT, in which we get to see a ton of stuff that should not be possible. Not only that, but the actual mechanics behind the major glitches exploited in the run is absolutely fascinating. The 'all medallions' run is even more mental. both these runs have great commentary too, which is probably my favorite thing about these Marathons.

Fake edit: bro ken filters to broken, good to know.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:08 am

I'm not sure if it's the same thing but I remember tuning into the end of something like this when they were just wrapping up Final Fantasy 2 (aka 4). They used some bizarre logic exploit on a boss that was really weird and interesting to see in action, since it's the kind of thing I'd expect to see in a TAS, not performed live by human players.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Simcity speedrun best speedrun.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

worMatty
Chatroom Patriot

Post by worMatty » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:07 pm

Cool. Then I shall have a look later when I'm free. I'm curious about the OoT thing.

Mr Phillby

Post by Mr Phillby » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:26 am

SupSuper wrote:Simcity speedrun best speedrun.
That is what they call a Tour De Force.

Mr Phillby

Post by Mr Phillby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:49 am

Well, SGDQ is almost over and I barely managed to catch any of it! Managed to get a couple of donation comments read out during Rayman Origins though!

Handy Reddit page with links to all the archived runs: http://www.reddit.com/r/speedrun/commen ... ith_times/

Recommendations!
Catechumen is a hilariously busted and unspeakably strange Christian FPS. Peaches is a entertaining runner and he does a great job breaking the game to pieces and making the stream crash by switching rendering modes mid run. Maybe also check out his Doom 64 run for more 200% movement speed shenanigans.

Dustforce, because while the game is ball bustingly hard, the combination of the game's excellent soundtrack and the donation reader's amazingly chill voice make it a very relaxing watch. Maybe skip to 1:45 once you're bored of seeing him fail at Yotta difficult, though.

Cosmo's OOT any% is a nice supplement to his AGDQ run, where he shows off a couple of new tricks that make beating the game even faster. Played on an iQue, a sort off official chinese N64, which somehow runs the game better than the Virtual console version.

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:57 am

Has anybody done a Deus Ex speed run? That's something that might be fun to try (and figure out by myself without watching other peoples atempts).

Mr Phillby

Post by Mr Phillby » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:47 pm

Afaik nobody really runs it these days. SDA has a multi-segment run recorded in 2003, and there isn't even an entry for the game on their strategy wiki.