Let's make... the first ever Dream17 videogame

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

What kind of game should we try and make?

Adventure
14%
RPG
14%
Platformer
14%
Strategy
14%
Shoot-em-up
7%
Racing
14%
Fighting
14%
Puzzle
No votes
Mutli-Genre
7%
Other (write in comments)
No votes

Total votes: 14

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Re: Let's make... the first ever Dream17 videogame

Post by Worm Mad » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:14 pm

Great. Now I've just spent ages making a Dream17 videogame.

Curse you, Cisken1! *shakes fist* :x

But yeah, not sure I'll finish it or not. We'll see.
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:55 pm

I voted RPG.

Just imagine like, Undertale, but all the characters are sigworms or something

I'd play it
Follow me on Twitch! Or don't. I respect your decision.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:50 am

Game update: Pilger is now in the game. The Dream17 Vending Machine is also in... as you've never seen it before!

NOTE: It's not really a game as such. I mean, there's not much gameplay. But you'll hopefully find it funny. I know I am. :)
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:09 pm

Awesome! :D Thanks! :3

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Worm Mad wrote:NOTE: It's not really a game as such. I mean, there's not much gameplay.
Is it a dating visual novel? ;)

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:34 pm

lol, it's an RPG but without any fighting (although I may give you the option to spar with Zeor). I'm making it in RPG Maker.

It's more of a virtual pub where you can meet the Dream17 regulars, etc. There are still some simple puzzles to solve though (although you don't have to solve them). And lots of dialogue trees.

Lots and lots of dialogue trees. :P

But yeah, if anyone really wants to be in it, let me know so I don't miss you out.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:13 pm

Oh man that sounds rule.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Cisken1
Settled in

Post by Cisken1 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:24 pm

Worm Mad wrote: But yeah, if anyone really wants to be in it, let me know so I don't miss you out.
*Raises hand*

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:15 pm

Worm Mad wrote:But yeah, if anyone really wants to be in it, let me know so I don't miss you out.

What exactly are the requirements to be in? I mean, I know I'm not a regular by any definition of the word (Granted, I was on the old forum for a while way back in 2007-2008), but do you need a, like, cemented name in the "Worm Lore™" for it?

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:52 pm

I suppose the only requirements are that I can think of some wacky gimmick I can solely base your character's traits around. For example, two people are in already:

Pilger: Has a beard
HuntaKilla: Is Australian

Of course, you can't just tell me what trait you think you should have. That would be too easy! ;) If I get desperate, I'll just base the trait around whatever your username or avatar is.

Oh, and I'm going to tend to favour people who are around at the moment. No point in putting in loads of references to old timers if they're not around to appreciate them.

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:03 pm

Welp, I threw my new Sig's profile into the Character Thread, if you want to throw him in. I can understand why you wouldn't want to include the really obscure old references, maybe outside of kinda hard to find easter eggs (Sigworm Raps playing on the Jukebox? Bottle of Johnson's Inflammable Baby Lotion in the bathroom? Newspaper open to comic section, showing The Adventures of Slick's Hair and Apathy Sketchpad?), since they could just fly over people's heads. What kind of puzzles are you talking about?
Last edited by ViceroyOfMonteCristo on Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:54 pm

Man, now I'm worried people are maybe expecting too much from this game. The 'puzzles' so far mostly involve correctly navigating dialogue trees, for example (although I'm hoping to come up with a couple of more inventive puzzles soon). Also, the art is just pre-made RPG Maker graphics (so people not worms). There is a character maker which allows you to customise characters in more detail (choosing hair, nose type, accessories, etc) but I'm a lazy, lazy man.

There's also only one room in the pub and a roof so far. Plus a basement! (NOTE: basement does not currently exist)

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:09 pm

If you need help with sprites or something, I can try and assist. Hell, you're on a forum full of artists, I'm sure someone would be more than willing to help (also if you need music I can try and help with that too).

Cisken1
Settled in

Post by Cisken1 » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:44 pm

Traits of my sigworm? Random and smokes cigars, also Army helmet but no army thing

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:57 pm

ViceroyOfMonteCristo wrote:If you need help with sprites or something, I can try and assist. Hell, you're on a forum full of artists, I'm sure someone would be more than willing to help (also if you need music I can try and help with that too).
Cheers. I should be okay but I'll let you know if I need any help.

Currently in-game: Pilger, HuntaKilla, the Vending Machine, Bloopy (incomplete), Star & Moon, Slick.

It's going well! :D

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:55 pm

Okay - music!

In the game, there's a piano player who you can get to play different songs (which provides the main soundtrack). I can easily find the songs on YouTube or whatever but I feel a bit bad just taking them for use in the game (and I can't really be bothered to get in touch with individual people). I mean, it's only a little game for the people on this forum and I could put a note with the game acknowledging the people who made the original versions but I dunno... what are people's thoughts on this?

Alternatively, if anyone is a great piano player, you can help out! ;)

NOTE: I also found a site of piano songs, which is creative commons, but it doesn't have specific tunes like the Worms theme that I might want to use (although I could always get one or two old classics from there)

EDIT: Actually, I think I'll just be cheap and use tunes from old T17 games. It's a shame to lose the piano theme but it gives the player more choice and fits the bar.

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:02 pm

Since you don't intent on making profit out ot this, I think a note giving credits to the respective authors and maybe even a link to them would be perfectly fine.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:32 pm

I went with piano versions of things in the end as it seemed more apt. It's an eclectic selection but hopefully there'll be at least one tune there to tickle your fancy.

Currently in: Slick, Splapp, Star & Moon, HK, Sup, Pilger, Pooka, Bloopy.
Still to go: Cisken1, Zeor, and MonteCristo (AND WHERE IS WORM MAD?!)

Seriously, this game is killing me. I considered giving up, a while back, but I'd already come too far. Hopefully it'll be worth it.
Random and smokes cigars, also Army helmet but no army thing
Damn, I just noticed 'no army thing'. I'd been thinking "Well, I can't do the cigars or the army helmet but I can make him an old grizzled soldier type'. Now, you're just the gravedigger! (well, you were going to be the gravedigger anyway, to be fair, but an ex-military gravedigger!)

Slick
Beef Stew

Post by Slick » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:33 pm

I'm really excited to play this. I have no idea what it will look like but I'm excited for it. :)
If you can read this....you're not blind.

Cisken1
Settled in

Post by Cisken1 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:28 pm

Worm Mad wrote: Damn, I just noticed 'no army thing'. I'd been thinking "Well, I can't do the cigars or the army helmet but I can make him an old grizzled soldier type'. Now, you're just the gravedigger! (well, you were going to be the gravedigger anyway, to be fair, but an ex-military gravedigger!)
You can make me ex-military if you want to, I don't mind all that much ;)

Nice job title, them dead boys ain't gonna bury themselves! :P