What are you dream1❼ng?

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Bloopy
Regular

What are you dream1❼ng?

Post by Bloopy » Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:42 am

I miss the 'what are you dreaming' thread from the old OD. Tell us what you've been dreaming about.

A silly maths dream last night prompted me to start the thread. I dreamt I'd been told that a sine wave had no indefinite integral. I was looking at a graph of the function and thinking that can't be right, so I was trying to get the integral to appear on my cerebral graph paper. The problem was a bit too hard for my subconscious mind, so I vowed to solve it later. Of course when I wake up it's trivially easy and I realise I won't be making any glorious mathematical breakthroughs before breakfast.
x_+

Xinos
Regular

Re: What are you dream1❼ng?

Post by Xinos » Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:53 am

I've had a sort of reoccurring thing in my dreams, shortly before the alarm goes off, where I find myself in these fantastical landscapes and I'll have my camera with me. On some level I know that I'm dreaming, but I'm so glad that I can just look at the photos later. :D :(

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:53 am

Oddly enough, recently I had a dream where I was playing a dreamed up version of Left 4 Dead with crappy graphics, probably completely different from the actual game (from what I know) but it had skeleton-zombies in it. The weirdest thing though is that I've never played nor wanted that game.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:58 am

I think I dreamed that a couple of my molars fell out. It was upsetting.

Generally I don't remember my dreams well though.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:58 pm

Today I dreamt I was imprisoned by Pokemon and tortured horribly whenever I couldn't pay them $4/day. Eventually they were content that I was rehabilitated, so they gave me a nice dinner like your grandmother would make and sent me on my way.
x_+

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:03 pm

Star and Moon wrote:Oddly enough, recently I had a dream where I was playing a dreamed up version of Left 4 Dead with crappy graphics, probably completely different from the actual game (from what I know) but it had skeleton-zombies in it. The weirdest thing though is that I've never played nor wanted that game.
Sounds like this game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/227100/
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:18 am

SupSuper wrote:
Star and Moon wrote:Oddly enough, recently I had a dream where I was playing a dreamed up version of Left 4 Dead with crappy graphics, probably completely different from the actual game (from what I know) but it had skeleton-zombies in it. The weirdest thing though is that I've never played nor wanted that game.
Sounds like this game: http://store.steampowered.com/app/227100/
Uh... I haven't played that either... in my own words from somewhere else that doesn't concern you guys, "Dreams can be absolutely wacko without a single meaning attached to it."

Also another detail I skimmed over, for some reason I was playing it on a super old computer, and the graphics were really dated, so it was pretty impossible to be scared by anything anyway. I almost never have nightmares.

Another weird occurrence in dreams I've had is that I may be playing a video game or something and it slowly transitions into where the character or whatever becomes me and I'm actually in it...

BLARAG too much thought it's late I'm tired.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:08 am

Last night I went to bed thinking about prediction and betting websites and dreamt I was the most unlucky person, hated by the universe or something like that. Doors tried to close on me. Things curled away when I tried to put sellotape on them. I didn't want to have a shower because I knew it would just alternate between blasts of boiling and freezing water. I tried to get on a lift because it was only two storeys high and I thought I already knew the worst that could happen. It closed on my shirt and tried to strangle me by pulling it up. I was like a magnet, repelling useful things and attracting painful things. When I woke up I almost expected to see the number 13 tattooed on my neck. Later in the day I looked at a balloon and it popped, a nice reminder of the dream.

Even the slightest things seem to influence my dreams. Running my washing machine a day beforehand and seeing a friend's name on FB was enough for me to have a recent dream about that friend leaving an old washing machine in someone's yard. It eventually turned up again after having been stolen, while other more murderous and gun-based events had occurred inside the house (I watch TV shows like CSI).

In another recent dream I went down some stairs to a bar at basement level in a shopping centre. That place got shot up with guns too. The barman was a guy I'd known for many years at school, but I only remember him when I've been thinking about coffee, because he made me a coffee in real life once and I rarely drink the stuff. I hadn't so much as thought to look him up on FB until now.
x_+

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:51 am

A dream from last weekend that stands out was about Allan Simonsen's fatal crash. Not a particularly cool topic for a dream, but most of the details were different. This guy didn't even look like Allan. He had longer shaggy hair and intense facial stubble. The car was barely damaged, but he wasn't wearing a helmet and there was no window net, so his head poked out the window and smacked on the tree. He hobbled away from the crash a bit dazed but started getting sick later. He puked at the lens of a young fan's video camera. Then he seemed to be lying down in a shower next to a steak, after having lost control of his bowels. The dream skipped forward to analysing cars parts arranged on tables.
x_+

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:52 pm

The other day I had a slight lucid dream after falling asleep again after my alarm went off. I dreamt I was at work and a coworker told me I had to sign something, but in that moment I knew I was dreaming. So I just told him "No, this is a dream so I don't have to do anything you say", to which he responded "It doesn't matter, you still got to sign this". So typical him, even when he knows he's not real he insists on being annoying. I just turn my back and walk away, feeling great about standing my ground. After that I promptly forgot I was dreaming.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:19 am

I dreamt I had a baby to look after and the task was quite easy (lol). The dream then moved on to a video game that was similar to Breakout, but the thing bouncing off the paddle was consuming the bricks instead of destroying them. It got bigger and bigger until eventually it filled nearly the whole screen and crushed the paddle.
x_+

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:33 pm

My dreams tend to shift focus in nonsensical ways like that, too.
The other day I had a slight lucid dream after falling asleep again after my alarm went off.
It's slightly frustrating to me that I always seem to be right on the edge of lucid dreaming. It reaches a point where I become dimly aware that things seem to happen according to my expectations, but no matter how absurd the dream is or isn't, I never fully clue in that I'm dreaming.

'cause you know I'd start flying.

Only ever had one flying dream. It was almost disturbingly realistic, but I loved it. It was like a mutant superpower where I could only fly if I really concentrated on it, and if I started to lose focus, I'd start to fall. Unnerving but still fun.

My dreams are boring. Which I guess is better than having nightmares all the time or whatever. I could count my lifetime nightmares on one hand.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:25 pm

Zeor wrote: My dreams are boring. Which I guess is better than having nightmares all the time or whatever. I could count my lifetime nightmares on one hand.
I'm exactly the same way! It got really frustrating when I was younger and I had dreams about getting certain things I really wanted and thinking they were real...

My dream last night was really complicated, and I can almost label this as a nightmare (due to spiders) but my dreams have a hard time scaring me, even if the most horrifying things (spiders) appear in them. The things I remember is that we were in some kind of valley, and there was a hole in the valley that we had to parachute down... and there were a ton of diamonds (Minecraft styled) but then there were spiders and creepers. Mostly spiders. Somehow I managed to "pause" and "quit" to quick escape out of there, where I went back to some sort of town place. I later learned that the area I was in, with all the diamonds, creepers and spiders, was inside a GIANT spider. I can't remember much else.

Seriously though in real life I am scared to death of spiders, even fake ones, pictures of ones or even ones in video games.

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:44 am

Zeor wrote: Only ever had one flying dream. It was almost disturbingly realistic, but I loved it. It was like a mutant superpower where I could only fly if I really concentrated on it, and if I started to lose focus, I'd start to fall. Unnerving but still fun.

My dreams are boring. Which I guess is better than having nightmares all the time or whatever. I could count my lifetime nightmares on one hand.
Same here, I've only had a couple of flying dreams and I had to concentrate to maintain it. Even so I rarely got far off the ground.

I know two people who are actually haunted by their dreams, being chased and killed by demons or murderers on a regular basis. Neither of them get much sleep at all, I don't know if that's the cause - or the result of nightmares, but I'm guessing the first. Other people say they enjoy their nightmares, but I don't think you can call them that if you do. I once had a dream where I knew it was the last day on earth. Everybody knew. TV broadcasters were saying it and people all over the planet were gathering in their homes with friends and family, waiting together for the world to end. I woke up feeling really depressed and that didn't pass until about two hours later when I was at work. It's rare that a dream has that kind of effect on me.
Star and Moon wrote:
My dream last night was really complicated, and I can almost label this as a nightmare (due to spiders) but my dreams have a hard time scaring me, even if the most horrifying things (spiders) appear in them.
I've had a couple of good spider dreams! My basement was once inhabited by spider-headcrabs. And once I saw a spider fall into my bed the second before I woke up, it took a while to realize that was just imagined.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:13 am

In one dream I went to a friend's maths class. They were studying an example of a horrific train crash, and it seemed like they were going to use calculus to work out the volume of blood that subsequently flowed along the snaking tracks, assuming it stayed between the rails. Then he came to my history class, and we started learning about the 9/11 attacks. Next, a woman from work asked if I'd ever been to a winery named 'Vineyard' (amazingly original name), and I said I had. We walked to where the general manager was sitting outside, presumably near a cafe. He excused himself, and I could tell just by the look on his face that he'd shit his pants. I then tried to remember where 'Vineyard' was, and settled on what looked like some castle grounds in a non-existent city that was supposedly in the lower North Island of NZ. I imagined going to the winery's shop and looking at bottle openers, but not finding one I wanted to buy. As I was walking back to my car, one Ben Paddon drove past in a black station wagon after turning out of the street I'd parked in.

Another dream was about a small woman I've often seen at metal gigs in Auckland. Some high profile businessman had had an affair with her, and she'd had a son. To protect her son, she was keeping him hidden in a disused room in a shopping centre that was undergoing renovations. For some reason I was really impressed by this. I went walking past a construction worker but didn't find the room. I'm not sure if it was before or after, but I also dreamt about an innovative fast food chain in my city of birth. Unfortunately I can't remember what they had on the menu, except that I had some ice cream with sriracha hot sauce. I also met a guy from work, and I was annoyed by his questions so I crossed the road. The dream then moved on to a trip to an Australian city. There were bridges everywhere and I was pointing to them all saying "yeah, I've walked across that bridge, and that one". Obviously a dig at the pathetic Auckland harbour bridge which has no footpath.
x_+

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:43 pm

Man, if we ever work out the ability to just record dreams for playback, it'll be used much more for surreal entertainment than research.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

KRD

Post by KRD » Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:16 am

We would have had the tech by now if it wasn't for this.

Deadcode

Post by Deadcode » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:57 pm

Xinos wrote:I've had a sort of reoccurring thing in my dreams, shortly before the alarm goes off, where I find myself in these fantastical landscapes and I'll have my camera with me. On some level I know that I'm dreaming, but I'm so glad that I can just look at the photos later. :D :(
LOL, I have the same thing, except with photographing birds (most of which I'm pretty sure are species that only exist in the dream). Somehow I think that I'll be able to take the photos out of the dream into the real world.

Often the cameras in my dreams that I use for this are ridiculously complex contraptions.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Thu May 07, 2015 6:13 am

My most memorable dream from last year was about a corporate neo-cult buying and taking over the company I work for. For some reason this was announced to us on the upper floor of a building which looked like a modern grand train station, but had a dinosaur museum on the ground floor. Out with the old reptilians, in with the new. There was a long loaf of uniformly-sliced bread beside a wall to represent the employees, held in line by whoever the crust represents. There was a feeling of dread from being assimilated into a cult. However, the upper floor of the building had an outdoor rooftop part where I could lurk off to the side near a fountain to keep my freedom and individuality intact, contemplating whether I'd be able to retain control of my own flesh prison (that's conspiracy theorist speak for body :P). After that I don't really remember what happened. Trying to figure out whether it was safe to eat some food? A rooftop confrontation? An orchestrated distraction and an escape, followed by setting everything on fire?

Also, I've now committed myself to immunotherapy for dust mite allergy. Hello vivid dreams. I had another maths dream yesterday morning. It was about answering the question of what's the 3000th positive integer with at least one '6' digit and at least one odd digit, although it was described in much more complicated terms involving comedian Billy T. James. Even digits were black and odd digits were red. Naturally I wrote a program to work out the answer once I was conscious, but it wasn't particularly exciting.

Today I had a work-related (utilities industry) dream. It was about a couple whose house was on a very high hill compared to those around it. Naturally their water supply had very poor pressure. In fact it was just kind of bubbling out into some kind of water feature by the floor, and I have no idea where the water was coming from. A guy from some company was quoting them millions or billions of dollars to install a proper service pipe up their steep hill. I came up with the idea of just connecting a hose, and getting permission from the council to put a playground at the bottom of the hill. The playground would include 'handcycle' pedals where kids could test their strength, and that child labour would power a pump that pumps water up the hose. Of course an electric pump would be more effective...

Another dream was about annual running races of medium to long distance, and according to my subconscious I loved running and I'd been competing in these for years, only missing one. WTF! Possibly after a day of lead-up/setup activities, I turned up the next day for my race and found my car was already there with a door open. My number '81' that I got when I registered was missing, so I had to pay to register again and get a different number to wear. At this point I got distracted by watching or remembering bloopers from previous years. In one instance a guy was so keen to register that he left his open bag outside on the ground, and a cow came along and pulled a towel and some clothes out of his bag and licked them. Another time, I turned up driving what was probably my Nana's red Volkswagen Beetle, with 3 guys jammed in the back. As they popped out, the back comically popped open and my brain forgot that that's where the engine is supposed to be. I looked at the time and realised I'd missed the start of my race. I tried teleporting to where my parents were to watch it on a tiny CRT TV they kept behind their large flatscreen, but all I could get was static. Back at the place of the race there was a news reporter, and we found we could communicate with a variation on the couple from the previous dream. Since they were on such a high hill, they were in direct signal line, and we could pick up communications from each other using humble dinner forks. This time they lived on a farm and their hill was much bigger, not as steep. Since society wasn't conveniently providing them with a decent water supply, they'd become completely self-sufficient and presumably they were just getting by with rainwater. Bloody hippies.
x_+

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:10 am

I remember at least 4 dreams from this morning, but I can't be bothered describing them in too much detail. One of them was about another playground/electricity conundrum, though involving solar power this time. One was about a music festival, seemingly held on a parked train with some complementary food available. I got some of the last food, but my plate was thieved while I was randomly changing clothes.

In another, I dreamt a TV presenter arrived late to his job on live TV. He met the cameras as he arrived and announced his resignation with the statement "this job f***s like a forest fire". Then he went up to the next floor to join his co-presenter. The co-presenter took inspiration from his colleague and announced his resignation as well: "this job f***s like roadkill".

Later I dreamt I was about to go into a men's restroom, when two ladies exited from it. While I was in the restroom, it started to morph into my apartment. The ladies came back because they needed to trespass some more. They'd spilled a lot of cocaine on the carpet just inside the door, and said there'll be traces there forever. The dream was obviously based on real life, where one of my neighbours had spilled (presumably) flour in the hallway. Then later, most probably the same neighbour had spilled some dried fruits in the same spot as the flour and not cleaned either up themselves. The restroom thing must be a metaphor for shitting in our own home.
x_+