WTL: Wormster Than Light

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

WTL: Wormster Than Light

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:24 am

Stardate: 20XX... or whatever. SOMETIME IN THE FAR FUTURE.
The Federation is under attack by a rebel force which is conveniently known as the Rebels. One space-faring ship has been chosen to deliver vital information to the Federation leaders, but doing so will require travel through hostile territories, dodging pirates, Rebel forces, and all other manner of crap that a roguelike game can fling at you.
Of their ranks, the Federation has chosen three of their...
Light1.png
Light1.png (505.13 KiB) Viewed 45519 times
Wait no hang on
Light2.png
Light2.png (527.73 KiB) Viewed 45519 times
THREE of their finest to make the perilous trip. Granted they may not get along all that well, but it's not like we have a choice here now do we. Beggars can't be choosers.
Slick, Zeor and Huntakilla all sit in the spaceport before the trip, planning their route. Slick knows this great steakhouse in Barkon 5 that he wants to stop at for dinner.
As departure time arrives, Slick notices they haven't even christened their vessel yet! The Kestrel is the default name of the ship, they should all decide what it gets renamed for their grand voyage.
Zeor is about to suggest they draw straws, but is interrupted by the realization that this entire time Huntakilla has been sloppily painting a name on the side of the ship in some red paint she found out by the dumpsters.
Light3.png
Light3.png (557.64 KiB) Viewed 45519 times
Neither of the other party members really like it that much but are too hyped for the trip to complain.
NOW BEGINS AN EPIC VOYAGE. I think. :|
Follow me on Twitch! Or don't. I respect your decision.

Pilger
Regular

Re: WTL: Wormster Than Light

Post by Pilger » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:32 am

*grabs popcorn and slouches on the chair* :)

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:35 am

:D Outstanding. Our odds of survival are a hell of a lot lower than on a trail to Oregon, that's for sure, but I'm sure we'll enjoy some awesome doom.

My guess is you've already played the whole thing out in advance like Slick did, but just in case we haven't yet departed in real time, can I be on weapons?
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:59 pm

Ship1.png
Ship1.png (40.29 KiB) Viewed 45491 times
Light4.png
Light4.png (481.16 KiB) Viewed 45498 times
Our intrepid explorers set out on their mission. It will be long and dangerous, so naturally Slick packed a bunch of Cheetos to snack on. He doesn't want to share. After some brief abuse persuasion by Zeor and Huntakilla, he concedes a few bags.
Light5.png
Light5.png (407.02 KiB) Viewed 45498 times
Huntakilla powers up the weapons systems. "ROIGHT, TOIME TA GIVE THESE REBEL SCUM A BLOODY DRUBBIN', THA BUNCH 'A YOBBOS", she says. Slick and Zeor, ignorant of the finer intricacies of the Space Australian dialect, have no idea what she just said. They just look at each other and shrug (which is impressive, given they have no shoulders).
Light6.png
Light6.png (373.37 KiB) Viewed 45498 times
The crew looks for a destination to jump to. Noticing a distress call, Zeor's natural sense of justice kicks in and requires they go there to help those in need. Huntakilla and Slick just want to get on the metaphorical road and advance the dialogue.

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:43 am

Ship1.png
Ship1.png (40.29 KiB) Viewed 45491 times
Light7.png
Light7.png (289.93 KiB) Viewed 45491 times
Well look what your beloved "sense of justice" got us into now, Zeor. He grabs his beam saber and excitedly hops off the cruiser to help the endangered civilians. Huntakilla, being Australian, is completely used to giant arachnids, and grabs her trusty rolled-up newspaper to do some squashin'. Slick is understandably wary of the idea of fighting giant spiders, but Zeor makes him come along too because "You can never have too much manpower."
Light8.png
Light8.png (300.16 KiB) Viewed 45491 times
Dangit Slick you gotta stop dying first every time we do something like this. Oregon wasn't kind to him and neither is space.
Zeor and Huntakilla rush back to the ship, bandage themselves up, and immediately start fighting over the recently deceased's bags of Cheetos.
Last edited by ViceroyOfMonteCristo on Fri Aug 26, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:18 am

Slick never fared well in Dwarf Fortresses either.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Well that didn't take long.

Can you get more crewpeoples?

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:13 pm

Star and Moon wrote:Can you get more crewpeoples?
You gotta use a mod tool for that to unpack the game data and change the starting number of characters. Unfortunately, the mod tool doesn't want to work on my computer. :(

I could do two ships at once like in Oregon Trail, but that might get really chaotic.

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:41 pm

Might wanna send a bunch of consecutive ships and see which crew gets furthest.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:14 pm

You can get new dudes in random events. It's even possible that the game makes this more likely if you have guys dying, but don't quote me on that.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:25 pm

You can also get them in stores, but I'm not sure you can name them.

Also, no Advanced Edition content? :(
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:47 am

SupSuper wrote:Also, no Advanced Edition content? :(
What do you think I am, some kind of person who knows what they're doing? :P

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:25 am

Ship1FirstCasualty.png
Ship1FirstCasualty.png (50.16 KiB) Viewed 45467 times
Light9.png
Light9.png (546.85 KiB) Viewed 45467 times
After "lamenting" their fallen comrade (by stealing his property), the crew jumps to their next location, where every factor is conveniently against them.
Light10.png
Light10.png (462.58 KiB) Viewed 45467 times
The localized plasma storm has knocked out half of their reactor power, and the nebula system removes the ability for their sensor cameras to see the full ship. Oh yeah, and someone from the other ship warped onboard and is wreaking havoc in the engine room. Good, says Zero, he likes a challenge. If Huntakilla was in the room with him she'd slap him upside the head with her rolled-up newspaper.
Light11.png
Light11.png (453.7 KiB) Viewed 45467 times
Zeor realizes that the plasma storm knocked out power to the weapon systems, so he has to make some sacrifices to re-energize the weapon that doesn't use valuable missiles. Unfortunately, this means the medbay has to go. Huntakilla is starting to think Zeor has a deathwish.
The intruder has officially knocked out the engines, meaning escape is impossible. As if to taunt them, the enemy has started charging their FTL drive, meaning that if they escape the Rebel forces will be alerted to their location, so Zeor and Huntakilla need to take out their engines quickly to keep them around long enough to destroy them.
Light12.png
Light12.png (450.65 KiB) Viewed 45467 times
Yo, anybody planning on taking that guy out? He's absolutely wrecking shop back there! He just took the oxygen systems offline, you kinda need those to be alive. Right now he's taking out the weapons systems, which is starting to get on Zeor's nerves. He's gonna have to go back there and teach this guy a lesson! Meanwhile, Huntakilla is evading the enemy's shots as well as she can, and doing a good job taking out their shield systems, so it looks like victory is within reach...
Oh.
Well, they grabbed the intruder back off the protagonists' ship and GTFO'd on out of there. "OI COME BACK 'ERE YA MONGRELS WE GOT UNFINISHED BUSINESS" Huntakilla screams, then lets off an extended string of patented Australian Expletives. Zeor has no idea what he just listened to, but he thought he heard something in there about shoving a koala into a didgeridoo. As he rushes off to fix the Oxygen systems, he wonders if it's a good idea for her to scream so much in a low-oxygen environment.
Huntakilla soon joins him in their attempt to keep themselves from unceremoniously asphyxiating in the depths of space. Thankfully, they fix the system just in time and
Forget that it never got activated due to the storm. :| Uh...

END OF TIMELINE 1
Last edited by ViceroyOfMonteCristo on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:07 am

A fairly typical FTL run... :P

RIP space

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:02 pm

RIP Slick, Zeor, and HK :(

So different crewmen next? :D

If you use me at all, my character is typically seen with a computer beside him (with 'WORM MAD' written on the screen) or with a monitor smashed over his head (wearing it like a helmet with face poking through the shattered screen). I say 'typically' because people tend to forget this and just draw him as a default worm. I was going to mention this in the Wormegon thread but a computer seemed a bit incongruous in Old-Timey days.

To be fair, my av doesn't feature my character at all so... (maybe I should go back to one of the old classics)
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:36 pm

Worm Mad wrote:RIP Slick, Zeor, and HK :(
So different crewmen next? :D
Actually, I already recorded a second run with this crew because the first one was short and pitiful, but um... thankfully that run wasn't very long either because I'm trash at this game.

The next few crews will be

1. Worm Mad, Splapp, Beardy
2. Me, Star & Moon, SupSuper
3. Bloopy, Paul, Cisken
?. Gingerneck, Gingerneck, Gingerneck
Last edited by ViceroyOfMonteCristo on Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:19 pm

Uh... so like I was saying.
Ship1.png
Ship1.png (40.29 KiB) Viewed 45459 times
THREE intrepid explorers in the Australian Space Ship A.S.S. CROIKEY MATE set off on their epic voyage to deliver a generic McGuffin to their higher-ups, who just happen to be on the other side of the flippin' universe.
The crew happens upon one of the quicker scouting ships leading the Rebel advance. Unfortunately they don't be in the mood to talk this one out...
And immediately do the same thing they did last time. If Huntakilla had any knowledge of what happened then, she'd probably hold a grudge against them. Sadly she doesn't, but still is somehow just as angry at them regardless. Oh yeah, guess who forgot to power up the weapons systems!
Zeor manages to get everything energized properly and starts bombarding the engine room on the enemy ship. That should keep them around long enough to take out! Huntakilla and Slick work on evading the enemy's weapons.
With some hard work and determination (and a fair amount of screaming at each other), the crew manage to take out the Rebel ship without taking too much hull damage. Slick grabs a celebratory bag of Cheetos and runs off to a supply closet to eat them in privacy. Zeor and Huntakilla lock him in there for the rest of the night.
The next day, after finding a trading post with nothing of value to buy (and letting Slick out of the supply closet), the team finds a distress signal and of course, Zeor starts going on again about the "importance of helping those in need" and crap like that. Huntakilla investigates it just to shut him up. Slick suddenly gets a strong, discomforting feeling of Deja Vu and hides under a desk.
Last edited by ViceroyOfMonteCristo on Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sat Jan 02, 2016 7:30 pm

To be fair, yeah, I'd probably going on about some kind of space justice mumbo jumbo. We're the Federation after all. That means something, probably.
Worm Mad wrote: To be fair, my av doesn't feature my character at all so... (maybe I should go back to one of the old classics)
Awesome. :D

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:20 pm

Ship1.png
Ship1.png (40.29 KiB) Viewed 45447 times
The crew heads down to the colony to boss everyone around. Slick still doesn't like the feeling of this.
This is why you can't have nice things, Slick. Well, RIP Slick. Again.
The surviving crew once again "pays their respects to" the fallen by stealing all his cheese snacks, then hightails it to the exit point so they can jump to the next sector. The trip will be a bit more difficult from here on out, especially with only 2 crew members.
Zeor is about to send them to the hostile sector so he can "clear out the enemy scum", but Huntakilla grabs the controls and sends them the friendlier way, after calling Zeor a "BLOODY FRUIT SHOP OWNA'". He doesn't know why, but he feels slightly offended.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:11 pm

Soooo many poor choices. :P

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!