Dwarf Fortress: Oh, We're Doing This

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Pilger
Regular

Re: Dwarf Fortress: Oh, We're Doing This

Post by Pilger » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:57 pm

I fell in love. <3

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:51 am

You guys have completely vindicated this thread yourselves. :D

ok I'm making some short swords and maybe some stuff to make traps and some more workshops and and... i already forget what the other stuff was. wait i'm going to move those nest boxes inside. and make hives. and

and farm and

and

Right we should try to be able to defend ourselves so I have someone trying to make crossbows and short swords.

Update: We don't have suitable stone for the swords, nor ammo for the crossbows.

We got a hell of a lot more immigrants than I thought. They just kind of ooze disinterestedly onto the map now instead of in a nice big group. This is way more guys than I have nicknames for. Also a preposterous number of them are farmers.

Frankly we're already at the point in the game where it all gets a little overwhelming for me. :P I'm a little surprised we haven't just torn each other apart and had the whole fortress just degenerate into a gigantic heap of fiery excrement. I'm not even sure how anything else works.

hey who's this douchebag

The perfect solution to our collapsed waterway problem: Put a big ol' chalk cover over it. You can hardly even see it.

I didn't know what to do with the wolf cage. We'll just put him in Mad's office.

Lots more beds. I guess it's hard to shake that 2D mentality when I could be putting more rooms on upper or lower layers now. That'll be next.

Sup and the other carpenters have just been on full blast since day one, so we have no problem whatsoever supplying every room with a bed. We're also coming up with enough seats and cabinets to furnish them a little nicer.

What, already? That was quick. I'm making some little effort to set up workshops for farmers and metalsmiths, but I'll have to spare some effort to read about how those things work. Some time when I have more energy.

Star 'n' Moon was given a respectful interment pretty immediately. Nobody wanted to touch the flat cat.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Wed Jan 13, 2016 12:14 pm

I didn't know what to do with the wolf cage. We'll just put him in Mad's office.
B...but I'm scared of dogs!

You monster! :o
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Slick
Beef Stew

Post by Slick » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:16 pm

Zeor wrote:Image

How does one get pleasure from a bed? :|
If you can read this....you're not blind.

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:46 pm

You won't wanna ask Google that question my friend.

Anyhoo, amazing job. The helmet lingers on!

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:13 am

Oh my god. :o

:D

we have so many pleasurable beds

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:11 am

Zeor wrote:Oh my god. :o

:D

we have so many pleasurable beds
Dwarf Motel :roll:

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:52 am

Zeor wrote:Image
The perfect solution to our collapsed waterway problem: Put a big ol' chalk cover over it. You can hardly even see it.
That looks hilariously like a giant worm. DwarfLife imitates art.
x_+

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:01 am

wow hey did you know Fallout 4 is a really good game

I'll try to remember to do something tomorrow.

er, today

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Slick
Beef Stew

Post by Slick » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Zeor wrote:wow hey did you know Fallout 4 is a really good game

I'll try to remember to do something tomorrow.

er, today
It was a good thread while it lasted. :P

*Zeor checks game to see the skeletons of all the dwarfs scattered about and an unopened jar of peanuts sitting in the middle of the carnage untouched.*

*shrugs*
If you can read this....you're not blind.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:54 am

beep beep beep here comes the human caravan
We traded some things for... for... I think some metal things. I don't remember. What am I, a rememberer? No, I'm a miner. Deal.

I'm just going through and correcting some of my furniture mishaps when suddenly SargeMcQuack gets a vision of a dwarf god and runs screaming inside. He's a cook. I was kind of hoping he was going to make like a big picturesque sushi dinner or something.

Instead he boots Viceroy out of his craftsdwarf workshop, gathers his materials and gets to work. Whatever floats your boat, man. As long as you're not making it out of dwarf.

That happens sometimes.

Looks like we're one of those fortresses. Look at this. Somebody dropped a statue in the hallway over there for heck knows what reason. I don't even remember asking one to be installed. Or even created. Then you make a nice fancy door between the dining room and the food storage and some hoser drops a bucket on it and jams it opOHNOOOOOO

It's Splatterbelch's darkest hour. A crack team of would-be heroes assembles at the gate. They will defend the settlement or die trying. They are... The Whiskered Orbs.

This summer. It's Dwarfin' Time.

The werewolf comes tearing ass down the hillside and tears apart a number of wandering tame critters that nobody really cared about. It quickly closes the distance on the fortress. Look out, Alien King! He's coming to tear all of your organs out!

Or he's going to kill that statue outside the cemetery. Whichever. Maybe he's so blood drunk that he just attacked the first thing he saw that even looked like a dwarf.

I'm about ready to try sealing the doors and letting anybody outside fend for himself, but
Should have figured. An elf! We knew those hippies were up to something.

Now is our chance to strike! Our barely-armed-or-armored military would have been popcorn to a werewolf, but we can take an elf!
Never mind. There he goes, back the very way he came.

Huh.

SuaveMcCool finishes his artifact, utterly unaware that werewolves exist.

I guess that's pretty neat.

Good job, SassyMolassy.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Cisken1
Settled in

Post by Cisken1 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 pm

Oh shit, I was on the front line and... nothing happened? :P

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:14 am

I'm really tired from all this playing video games instead of sleeping. But I do have a few things worth reporting I guess.

Great news! Rambling"Bring Back Frog"Thomas suddenly squirted a baby while building a section of road. I have no doubt little Rakust has a bright future ahead of him at Splatterbelch.

And so do a bunch of new immigrants. I never even found jobs for the whole last wave. Nevertheless, our suddenly rather large team of miners gets to work on bangin' their rooms up. I also set up a barracks in hopes of maybe establishing and training an actual paltry military of some sort.

Work on the roads for better wagon access has... ...I just realized that last caravan drove their wagons right up to the depot no problem. Well we'll keep making the road anyway.

I'm hopefully getting a farm set up, but there's a good chance I'm screwing it up.

SupSuper has been cranking out masterpiece woodcrafts like it's pretty much nothing, but we just had Sarge make our first masterpiece dinner. Let's see what's on the menu.

Ugh. We're still eating like elves around here.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Paul.Power
He Rocketh So

Post by Paul.Power » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:14 am

All the fun of the fortress.

And yeah, crafting things out of bone and shell is an excellent way to recycle rubbish (says the guy who hasn't played this thing in years). Only downside is, you can't trade it with elves. But hey: elves.
"Spam is the filling in the sandwich of forum life"

Here, have some Let's Plays: Advance Wars 2 | Advance Wars

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:18 pm

I like how the game didn't update for like two years, and then a major update came along a few days after I checked.

I'm assuming saves aren't at all compatible across these versions. Sounds like there are some cool features though.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:14 pm

Look at this smut. We got like 30 immigrants and 45 of them are farmers. It's time to draft a little military squad.

Guh how does all this military crap work

(screenshot may or may not be doctored)

Well I figured I was doing farm wrong, but I was way too right. Zeor and S2K couldn't swim well enough to ascend the clearly visible ramps to dry land, and this ill-advised little watery plot is now their grave.

Nobody even knows.

A week goes by, which, in dwarf land, means the missing are almost definitely dead.

A child eventually goes to get a drink from the river for some reason, and finds S2K's body. Mine is still undiscovered. I don't even get a proper burial. :(

Speaking of children, Alien King made a baby in the middle of the hallway. gross

I let the masons try out some engraving in the dining room, even though we don't have much interesting history. Munkee engraved a touching tribute to the flattened Star'n'Moon.

Most of the rest are just pictures of logs and shit.

Dwarven caravan came through. They had some interesting things to trade.
I traded for some weapons and crossbow bolts.

This is happening now. I know not why.

btw Sup is legendary now. If it weren't for all the red events, pretty much this whole thing would be him making masterpieces.

hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahaahhahaha

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:54 pm

Somehow or another I managed to get the corpulent wolf out of its cage. It's just kind of oozing disinterestedly around the fortress.

That 'item inaccessible' spam is probably because this - some hunters dried up all of our new ammo supply shooting chinchillas on the other side of the river. There's currently no way over there.

...which... didn't stop Pilger from finding a way.

That is one interesting dwarf.

Unfortunately now he's starving to death.

Lucky for him, we were just getting the bridge finished up. Slick was the one who finished it, I think. Yay pals

Hey good news we got a trillion more immigrants. Here they all are carrying things. I don't even know what they all are.

I... okay, cool.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:38 pm

Look everybody I have conducted a dumb experiment with some DF hacking tool nonsense and 3D visualizer plugins.

Well here is what our whole place looks like from aboveground, I guess. I was fiddling with the thing for a while before I realized this was displaying correctly. It came out looking flatter than I expected. Those Z axis levels have a much bigger impact on gameplay than this thing would lead you to believe.

Here is our indoor stuff, which is so mind-bogglingly underwhelming that I have nothing further to say about it.

I mentioned the trees earlier. Here is what they look like in 3D space. wowie zowie

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:10 am

That helps QUITE a bit with the understanding of it all. I can't figure out those dots and commas, really.

Paul.Power
He Rocketh So

Post by Paul.Power » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:16 am

RIP Zeor and S2K.

On the plus side, Sup is just a masterpiece-making machine now.
"Spam is the filling in the sandwich of forum life"

Here, have some Let's Plays: Advance Wars 2 | Advance Wars