Dream17: The Videogame (Release Thread)

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Dream17: The Videogame (Release Thread)

Post by Worm Mad » Mon Jan 25, 2016 9:08 pm

Ever wondered what a videogame based around this forum would look like? Well, wonder no more! The Dream17 Videogame is complete and ready for download, right now.

Get it at: http://rooms.wurmz.net/Other%20Stuff/Dream17Pub.exe
Music credits can be found at: http://rooms.wurmz.net/Other%20Stuff/Notes.txt (Contains Spoilers!)

More on this later. But for those of you who want to get stuck in right now, there it is. Controls are simple - arrow keys and enter to look at stuff,etc. Esc for menu. Also, press F1 if you want to view the game in Full Screen mode (there should be an option there).

Enjoy! :D
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Re: Dream17: The Videogame (Release Thread)

Post by SupSuper » Mon Jan 25, 2016 11:51 pm

References! I approve! :D

There's so many clickables and dialog trees to dig into, gonna be a while until I try everything.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:57 am

Outstanding. I adore this. :D

My own character was pretty unexpected. But awesome.

Still kind of bumbling around to see what else I haven't figured out.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:06 am

Game1.png
Game1.png (14.5 KiB) Viewed 63682 times
Game2.png
Game2.png (36.65 KiB) Viewed 63682 times
Game3.png
Game3.png (17.1 KiB) Viewed 63682 times
Game4.png
Game4.png (60.54 KiB) Viewed 63682 times
I feel so bad for The Stranger, having no idea what he's getting into with this crowd. :(
Follow me on Twitch! Or don't. I respect your decision.

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:35 pm

This is probably the best game I ever played. No exaggeration! :D :o

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:58 pm

I love the music too, by the way. Hotel California is actually one of my favorite songs.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:48 pm

Hooray! Glad everyone seems to have enjoyed it! (so far) :D When you work on something like this for a while, you start to worry that it might not be any good, so it's nice to find out that's not the case.
SupSuper wrote:References! I approve!
lol, I do wonder if anyone other than you will recognise the music/sounds in the Onion Chase section.
SupSuper wrote:There's so many clickables and dialog trees to dig into, gonna be a while until I try everything.
Yeah, I got a little carried away with the dialogue trees. Plus, lot of random elements (when you buy stuff from Vendo, when you talk to Slick, etc) and Easter Eggs. I'll type up a "Have you Tried/Did you Spot?" list at the end of the week so people can see if there's anything big they missed.
Zeor wrote:Outstanding. I adore this.
Thanks! Glad you liked it! :)
Zeor wrote:My own character was pretty unexpected. But awesome.
Yeah, I wanted to make the character have links to the old but also be a new take. He's kind of like one of those Alternative Universe versions you get in comic books. Originally, he was going to be a Demon Slayer to make things even more different but the whole Bloopy thing made that seem a bit weird. He was one of my favourite characters to write though - seemingly calm and wise, but spouting utter nonsense. What would the noble gerbil say? Ah, hm. Yes.
Viceroy wrote:I feel so bad for The Stranger, having no idea what he's getting into with this crowd.
lol, nice comic! I actually feel bad for The Stranger in the end scene with my character but he/she's not entirely innocent. I mean, nobody asked the Stranger to start digging up corpses but he/she seemed pretty cool with that.

[quote="Pilger"]This is probably the best game I ever played. No exaggeration! [/quote]

lol, thanks! That's great to hear! :)

[quote="Zeor"]I love the music too, by the way. Hotel California is actually one of my favorite songs.[/quote]

"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave!" - seemed appropriate ;)

But yeah, glad you liked the music. I was a bit worried the choices wouldn't go down well as they're a bit eclectic.

I actually wrote a short script based on Hotel California, last year (I love the song too) but never put it online. Thinking I might upload it to my blog now :)

Re: the game - What were people's favourite jokes, characters, sections?
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Pilger
Regular

Post by Pilger » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:00 pm

Best part was the Splapp's eye and the wrecking ball. :)

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:15 pm

I found most everything about alternate-future-Zeor amusing of course :P, but aside from that, I liked the limericks on the tombstones, and navigating the maze of the Australian language.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:12 pm

I love this game but it'll be a while before I discover everything and finish it! I'll be back here once I have done, to avoid spoilers!
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:10 am

I found myself! I'm some sort of weird space cultist. How quaint.

Also what's S&M?

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:35 am

Star and Moon wrote:Also what's S&M?
Oh you poor sweet summer child.

Protect this boy's innocence.
Follow me on Twitch! Or don't. I respect your decision.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Pilger wrote:Best part was the Splapp's eye and the wrecking ball.
That song ended up sounding surprisingly good on piano.

Funny story with the Splapp eye chase. I spent ages trying to balance it just right so that it wasn't too easy or hard. Then, after all that work, I realised when playing the game that you could press 'Shift' to run, making it ridiculously easy. Rather than change anything, I just didn't mention it at the start of this thread and hoped nobody noticed. ;)
Zeor wrote:I found most everything about alternate-future-Zeor amusing of course :P, but aside from that, I liked the limericks on the tombstones, and navigating the maze of the Australian language.
Yeah, I enjoyed writing those. With HK's dialogue, I wanted it to be humorous but still sort of authentic so I looked up loads of actual Australian slang. "You don't have a Buckley's" and "Give it a burl!" were two of my favourites. :)
Pooka wrote:I love this game but it'll be a while before I discover everything and finish it! I'll be back here once I have done, to avoid spoilers!
Yay! Glad you're enjoying it.
Star and Moon wrote:I found myself! I'm some sort of weird space cultist. How quaint.
High praise from my greatest critic! ;) I'm flattered.
(and yeah, I wasn't really sure what to do with your character so I based it entirely around your username... and your helmet, I guess.)
Star and Moon wrote:Also what's S&M?
I would explain it to you but your character doesn't know either and then the game wouldn't be very true to life! :D

Let's just say, some people are a hit with the ladies... and some people want to be hit by the ladies! :o

Star and Moon
Regular

Post by Star and Moon » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:34 pm

High praise from my greatest critic! ;) I'm flattered.
(and yeah, I wasn't really sure what to do with your character so I based it entirely around your username... and your helmet, I guess.)
I thought it was pretty interesting. Plus, I can see how you could've been stuck as to what to do with my character, I don't really do much here anymore and I've changed quite a bit over the years.

Also, are you supposed to be able to talk to Star and Moon before you get the wings? You don't have to be on the roof to talk to him:
Attachments
s.png
s.png (183.66 KiB) Viewed 63598 times

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:55 pm

Whoops. I guess I should've put a wall or something back there so you couldn't do that. :P

I think originally you could walk on to the roof from behind the pub and I fixed that. I guess I didn't think you could still talk to him from there without being on the roof. Ah well.

Slick
Beef Stew

Post by Slick » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:01 pm

I've been ignoring a lot of work playing this.
Kudus. :)
Slick is very much a pervert squared, in this game. Love he follows you around. (seemingly)

I'd have to say this has been the best game released this year so far. Great job. ;)
If you can read this....you're not blind.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:53 pm

Slick wrote:Slick is very much a pervert squared, in this game. Love he follows you around. (seemingly)
Yup, he's a scamp. There is a way you can stop him from following you though.
Slick wrote:I'd have to say this has been the best game released this year so far. Great job.
Thanks! :D

And now, for everyone who beat the game and wants to know if they missed anything:

Did you...

• Look at the skeleton twice?
• Talk to Star and Moon immediately after he turns on the machine, after you’ve learned Demon, and after Bloopy leaves?
• Get Viceroy to share his relish story?
• Eat Splapp’s eye before giving it back to him?
• Talk to everyone else after eating one of Splapp’s eyes? (Note: Effect does not work in the section after you beat the game. Second note: A mint will cure this effect.)
• Get called a jerk by Pilger, Viceroy, Slick, Zeor and (kind of) Mad?
• Come across three Worms weapons outside the pub? (each has a 1 in 20 chance of appearing)
• Look at the key hidden in the library before and after using it? (there are jokes in the other item descriptions too)
• Meet a SuperFrog veteran and get Sup to play something for Pooka?
• Talk to Slick after finding a book written by his ancestor and then go back and read the book?
• Know there are 41 different possible Vendo coin responses and 12 different regular Slick responses? (more on the Vendo responses later)
• Try to gamble with no money?
• Know each character has 3 different responses after the game ends (in the main pub area)? Exiting the room and returning causes a new random choice for each character so you might need to go back and forth a few times to catch them all.
• Press the red button in the library (after beating the game) and talk to everyone who appears? (Splapp can be hard to catch)
• Get Sup to teleport you to the Pub Roof, the Dwarf Room, or Viceroy’s Gambling Den? (Sup will comment on the first two. The last of these is just notable for wacky glitchy reasons)

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:17 am

This is impressively complex! Gotta love the 100% Off Topic book by Various. After Bloopy disappeared, I spotted a sheep from up on the roof a couple of times.

Was wondering how to backspace and enter a different name, but just found that Insert works.
x_+

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:31 pm

Bloopy wrote:This is impressively complex! Gotta love the 100% Off Topic book by Various.
Thanks! Glad you liked it! :)
Bloopy wrote:After Bloopy disappeared, I spotted a sheep from up on the roof a couple of times.
Yeah, that's one of the three weapons I mentioned that randomly appear. It's kind of annoying when it pops up when you're on the roof though as you can't go and talk to it.

The other two are Mad and Old.
Bloopy wrote:Was wondering how to backspace and enter a different name, but just found that Insert works.
Oh yeah. I probably should have mentioned that. Pressing Esc also works.

More Vendo trivia

• There are 3 Vendo responses that involve other patrons of the bar.
• 4 Vendo responses don’t give you anything. Although in two of these cases, Vendo tries to make up for this (poorly).
• 1 Vendo response gives you multiple items.
• 1 Vendo response gives you a very special friend.
• 1 Vendo response gives you a mighty weapon.
• 1 Vendo response leaves you no better or worse off than you were before.
• 1 Vendo response causes a terrifying (yet familiar) image to appear before your eyes!

Curious whether anyone got any of these, especially the special friend which always makes me chuckle.

Pooka
Staff Writer

Post by Pooka » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:50 pm

Finally finished it!

Got my 90 Coins after saving and reloading the game to randomly gamble until I got them all. Didn't realise that you could get coins from Slick!

Also tried to fight Zeor before equipping the sword - d'oh!

I got the picture flashing up after buying from Vendo, but I'll be buggered if I can remember what it is!

Could spend hours going through this game, great stuff.

I now have Waka Laka stuck in my head. Can't for the life of me work out what the song you can request for Pooka is though...
Superfrog: the best things in life are green.