Pangya: a.k.a. Albatross 18, GOFL

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Paul.Power
He Rocketh So

Pangya: a.k.a. Albatross 18, GOFL

Post by Paul.Power » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:30 am

Well, since I'm trying to dust off the ol' Dream 17 account, might as well dust this off at the same time. See if we can't relive the glory days of when we had this thread on RealVG.

For those who haven't seen it before and need a quick summary, Pangya is a very silly anime golf game, played on a bunch of different fantastical courses with crazy (and admittedly often kinda annoying) characters. There are a number of special shots you can perform to achieve that holy grail, getting the ball into the hole in as few shots as possible (and the pros at the game can use them to rack up truly ridiculous scores. Heck, even an amateur like me wants to try and birdie nearly everything at least).

So what's new? Well, "new" might be an exaggeration. There hasn't been a big update in a while. But there's been a fair bit added since the days when we played this regularly. The most recent course added is the two-star Abbot Mine, and it's a good one: a new setting and layout, some neat ramp shortcuts, and some weird extra bonus items. It's a little on the easy side, but a good addition to the roster.

Before that we had the four-star Ice Inferno, which is a slightly low-effort reskin of Deep Inferno with the lava replaced by ice and bottomless pits. If you can get past it being a reskin, it's still a decent course, providing a good challenge (particularly since it shares DI's infamous greens). And there was the two-star Wiz City, which is a very weird course indeed that I still haven't got the hang of, if I'm honest. Some very tight OB makes it a lot more challenging than its two-star rating suggests. One gimmick of Wiz City is that the greens are surrounded by coins that are attracted to the ball whenever it goes remotely even close to them: to compensate, no overdrive bonuses are awarded on this course.

The latest three characters added are all "HD" remakes of the first three characters added to the game: Nuri/Scout, Hana and Cecelia. Don't worry though, the classic versions of the characters are still playable (and I'm sure as hell not giving up on my character at this point). Still, I managed to merge two pictures together somehow to create this silly "parallel Nuris" thing to celebrate one of his birthdays.

One neat addition from a replayability point of view has been daily quests: complete a quest, get a prize (admittedly some of the quests are a bit absurd, like the "Play 9 stroke games on a certain course" ones above. Mostly they're reasonable though, like play so many holes or play one tourney on a certain course). Complete ten quests, get a bigger prize, typically an old Papel Shop special item (which let's face it, is far more generous than Papel Shop itself ever gives!). Similarly, just logging in gets you some items once a day, and after ten days - hey, another old Papel Shop item. Neat.

There's other stuff out there. Grand Prix mode games launch automatically every so often, and fill in any remaining player slots with AIs, giving you a decent way to have a full tourney. There are also new ways to upgrade your characters by spending "Tiki Points", which you can gain by recycling old items. And yeah, just things generally I guess.

I know Pangya has its problems (although it seems fairly stable for me these days), but it was fun and I do miss playing it with friends as opposed to just hanging out in tourneys with random people. I just want to get back to doing stuff like this:

"Spam is the filling in the sandwich of forum life"

Here, have some Let's Plays: Advance Wars 2 | Advance Wars

Zeor
Senior

Re: Pangya: a.k.a. Albatross 18, GOFL

Post by Zeor » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:10 pm

Oh my cow it's gofl.

I may or may not still have an ancient version of that installed on this machine. I'd totally be up for dusting it off. I remember playing Ice Inferno though. I love it.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

MonkeyforaHead

Post by MonkeyforaHead » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:28 am

Not to be the buzzkill here, but a friendly reminder that the reason I stopped playing Pangya in earnest was because the nProtect GameGuard anti-hack "solution" the game comes with is also a rootkit. Not the type that's liable to melt your system overnight, but the type that may or may not be logging keystrokes among other nebulous activity, and is guaranteed to get its hooks into several system areas and requires excessive registry manipulation to actually remove.

It was damn fun, though.
There was a signature here. It's gone now.

Paul.Power
He Rocketh So

Post by Paul.Power » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:11 am

MonkeyforaHead wrote:Not to be the buzzkill here, but a friendly reminder that the reason I stopped playing Pangya in earnest was because the nProtect GameGuard anti-hack "solution" the game comes with is also a rootkit. Not the type that's liable to melt your system overnight, but the type that may or may not be logging keystrokes among other nebulous activity, and is guaranteed to get its hooks into several system areas and requires excessive registry manipulation to actually remove.

It was damn fun, though.
Urgh. People should probably only play it if they already have it then, if the damage is already done. I dunno.

If you do fancy a game, Zeor, feel free to message me on Steam. I work weekends though, so couldn't play too late tonight or tomorrow night.
"Spam is the filling in the sandwich of forum life"

Here, have some Let's Plays: Advance Wars 2 | Advance Wars