Sooo is this place dead again?

Sit yourselves down in here and have a chinwag about whatever takes your fancy.

Moderator: Dream17 Staff

Cisken1
Settled in

Sooo is this place dead again?

Post by Cisken1 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:27 pm

Hello?

Zeor
Senior

Re: Sooo is this place dead again?

Post by Zeor » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:36 pm

I guess. Life probably caught up with everybody again or something.

I'm still floating around as always. Maybe I should try to drum up the motivation to pick my dwarf fortress back up.
Zero72, Team17 Forum member (and former Cartoonist), June 2002 - June 2013.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:01 pm

I'm still here. Was tempted to start a new thread a while back (FR3 or something else) but nobody seemed to be around so I thought I'd wait. :P

But yeah, let's bring this forum back to life! :twisted:
*jolts forum with electricity, Frankenstein style*
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:28 pm

Should make a twitter bot that starts annoying you all when the forum has been dead for a while to get people to come back and post.

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Worm Mad wrote:But yeah, let's bring this forum back to life! :twisted:
AROOARRGH *thumps chest*

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:09 pm

Xinos wrote:Should make a twitter bot that starts annoying you all when the forum has been dead for a while to get people to come back and post.
Just linked this thread on the FB group, maybe that'll work. 8-)

It's not exactly life that caught up with me, but rather contributing to a website and tackling my movies-to-see list.
x_+

KBKarma

Post by KBKarma » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:14 pm

Worm Mad wrote:*jolts forum with electricity, Frankenstein style*
Ow, no thanks. I recently got an ICD implanted, and it's already decided to do that to me twice.

Squirminator2k
Dream17 Founder

Post by Squirminator2k » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:14 pm

I genuinely forgot that Dream17 had a forum.
PortsCenter - Gaming's forgotten history. A show all about unique video game ports.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:24 pm

Xinos wrote:Should make a twitter bot that starts annoying you all when the forum has been dead for a while to get people to come back and post.
Seems like a good idea but it'd probably malfunction, gain sentience, and force everyone in the world to post on the forum UNDER PUNISHMENT OF DEATH. :o
Zeor wrote:AROOARRGH *thumps chest*
It's... IT'S ALIIIIIIIVE! :twisted:
Bloopy wrote:Just linked this thread on the FB group, maybe that'll work.
If you link it, they will come. 8-)
KBKarma wrote:Ow, no thanks. I recently got an ICD implanted, and it's already decided to do that to me twice.
Oops, sorry. Hope you feel better soon. :(
S2k wrote:I genuinely forgot that Dream17 had a forum.
And that's why you're dead in the videogame! ;)

Seriously, though, you missed a golden era lately. We were all posting cool threads with different fun creative community projects. It was like old times.

Erm, and then everyone suddenly stopped for some reason - hence the resurrection.
Worm Mad - is he a mad worm or a person mad about worms? I'll give you a clue - it's not the first one.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:40 am

Squirminator2k wrote:I genuinely forgot that Dream17 had a forum.
It's like founding a cult and forgetting you left all your followers locked in the church!
x_+

Cisken1
Settled in

Post by Cisken1 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:39 am

Woo! Response!

Let's see how long we can last this time! :D

Zeor
Senior

Post by Zeor » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:41 pm

Hell yeah it's S2K.

We did have a bit of a renaissance there, didn't we? Lots of fun content. Particularly by Pilger and Slick who might have returned to their home dimensions.

Zeor TV - [fart noise]!

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:33 pm

I think everyone's just kinda let this place fall by the wayside. Getting back together was fun for the nostalgia value, but it's hard to say if we'll ever manage to recapture the idiocy glory of the true forums back in 2007-2010. Besides, a lot of the users who were really active back then have sorta grown up, moved on, and have normal people lives now, with jobs and taxes and stuff like that. We can't let ourselves be focused on fanart for a niche game franchise forever. :|

Regardless, I do need to finish FTL. We've still got 3 more crews to send hurting to their deaths in space. ;)
Follow me on Twitch! Or don't. I respect your decision.

Worm Mad
Staff Writer

Post by Worm Mad » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:59 pm

Viceroy wrote:2007-2010
Bah! The glory days were well before then. Checking the dates of the earliest T17 Forum comics and scripts I did, they're all from 2003-2004. Wait, found an image from my old Worms website dated 2002. Man, all the Forum Fighter stuff was 2002 too. So yeah, 2002-2004 were pretty epic.
Viceroy wrote:Besides, a lot of the users who were really active back then have sorta grown up, moved on, and have normal people lives now, with jobs and taxes and stuff like that.
You know, you can be an adult and still be interested in videogames, etc? I mean, it's not one or another.
Viceroy wrote:We can't let ourselves be focused on fanart for a niche game franchise forever.
Man, the T17 Forum community was about more than just Worms. We all talked about Worms for like five minutes when we first arrived then the Open Discussion forum opened and we moved on to talking about pretty much anything else. Sure, there was still worms related stuff, especially in the fanart forums, but I never saw that as the main driving force behind the community. Worms was what brought us together but it wasn't what kept us together.
Viceroy wrote:Regardless, I do need to finish FTL. We've still got 3 more crews to send hurting to their deaths in space.
Yes, quick! Before you become a normal person and become exclusively interested in jobs and taxes! :o

;)

Slick
Beef Stew

Post by Slick » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:17 pm

Zeor wrote: We did have a bit of a renaissance there, didn't we? Lots of fun content. Particularly by Pilger and Slick who might have returned to their home dimensions.
Pretty much.
Although for the longest while we were both encouraging people to get in on a Team17 google hangout chat going. But alas no one seemed to really want to do that.
We're still on Google Hangouts just about everyday though. I know Pilger/Error404 is usually busy with work and so am I, but from time to time say screw work and just doodle a bunch, share pictures and have a good laugh.
ViceroyOfMonteCristo wrote:We can't let ourselves be focused on fanart for a niche game franchise forever. :|
Burn the unbeliever!
In fact I just made some for 7 year old kid who thinks Worms is an awesome game.
http://img10.deviantart.net/8cc9/i/2016 ... a6pn13.png

I don't think this community is dead I feel maybe the medium in which it is used is just outdated and can't keep up with the pace of life anymore. Or maybe we're just in such a hard to find spot for other people to breath life into this forum when T17 is on Twatter and FaceBlock.
If we can solve that issue, we can all still have some more good times and maybe it'll last a bit longer.
If you can read this....you're not blind.

ViceroyOfMonteCristo
Settled in

Post by ViceroyOfMonteCristo » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:49 pm

Slick wrote:Google Hangouts
Wow, I can't believe people actually use that.
Slick wrote:I don't think this community is dead I feel maybe the medium in which it is used is just outdated and can't keep up with the pace of life anymore.
That's a good point, most people have switched over from clunky, dated Forum systems to those new-fangled IM Chat systems. If this place could get something like a chat client implemented, or maybe if we could get a Discord room up and running, it would be a lot easier and more convenient to interact.
Follow me on Twitch! Or don't. I respect your decision.

Bloopy
Regular

Post by Bloopy » Mon Jun 20, 2016 3:42 am

ViceroyOfMonteCristo wrote:those new-fangled IM Chat systems
What kind of things are you referring to? I thought instant messaging pretty much died with MSN Messenger. Sure, Facebook has it and you can interact in realtime with friends, but I reckon the reason it's been so successful is that it's primarily asynchronous. People can live their lives and then go on there later and scroll back to see what their friends have been up to over the past 24 hours, without even having to chat to them at all. :D
x_+

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:47 pm

Bloopy wrote:
ViceroyOfMonteCristo wrote:those new-fangled IM Chat systems
What kind of things are you referring to? I thought instant messaging pretty much died with MSN Messenger. Sure, Facebook has it and you can interact in realtime with friends, but I reckon the reason it's been so successful is that it's primarily asynchronous. People can live their lives and then go on there later and scroll back to see what their friends have been up to over the past 24 hours, without even having to chat to them at all. :D
Asynchronous IM are all the rage now. We've looped back to the IRC days. :P
For example Skype, Facebook, Google Hangouts, Slack, Discord, etc. You can find me on all of those! Nickname's always the same. Though I only really check my Skype at work.
Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer

Xinos
Regular

Post by Xinos » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:13 pm

I'm curious, do you pronounce your name as SoupSuper or Sup(as in Supper)Super?

SupSuper
leek hackspinn0r

Post by SupSuper » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:18 pm

Xinos wrote:I'm curious, do you pronounce your name as SoupSuper or Sup(as in Supper)Super?
Actually it's pronounced Ş̇͒ͪͮ̏̍̄ͥ̅̂̓̃́ͥͯ̚҉͝͏̡͓̻͕͖̟̤̮u̸͓͙̝̳̙̩̇̓ͫͭ͗͑̆̅̉͗̉̔ͭ͗̓͘p̶̸̧̺̠̮̣͙̤͍͇̦̼̼͓̟͙͒ͫ̓Super

Team17 Forum Refugee | OpenXcom Developer